Upgrading M15X 680m or 7970m?

Upsi

Hello,

I plan to upgrade the GPU in my M15X in the next weeks.

Actually I try to find out what is the best Option and what card performs best in the M15X.

I know there is a power Limit on the GPU if both GPU and CPU are overclocked. What I would like to know is what Card has less power consumption, 680m (I know its more expensive) or 7970m and therefore works better in M15X.

Or is there no difference at all?

@Upsi: I had both cards running in my M15x, I never had issues with the 7970m while playing games, it works very well and is much cheaper than the 680m.

However I have to admit that the 680m is the better card when it comes to overclocking... at least with a properly modified vbios.

680m is a great choice, finding a cheap one is difficult :) The only thing that won't work with the Clevo 680m is sound per DP/HDMI, but it's not a big issue, and I'm pretty sure I could get it to work with a vbios mod, but I simply never bothered since the M15x can output 5.1 surround per 3x stereo plug.

• 2 weeks later...

With M15x I'd go with the 7970M, you won't have any of the Enduro/PowerPlay issues. And it overclocks well enough that even against an overclocked 680M, the differences are negligible. The only time I would consider getting 680M is that Nvidia is much better with UE3 games since they are inherently optimized for Nvidia's proprietary tech. But AMD is able to brute through them at 60 FPS constant easily.

• 4 months later...

My apologies for reviving this "old" thread, but i supposed this place was the indicated one, to announce, i finally found a cheap 680m and i've just get it ;) ( isn't there any "M15x+680 thread" right?. So few people have both? :/)

It has the P/N: 020HTK. So i think it is a SLI 680

Hasn't arrived yet, but i really want upload benchs once i have installed in the system :D

I think will be interesting a look at what can show my crappy 720qm with the beast 680m to us lol Haha. (i need to upgrade the cpu, i know...)

Cheers, mates!

• 1 month later...

I would love to hear how you get on Morejasparda as im really tempted to buy a 680m. I upgraded my old m15x to a 560m which was pretty straight forward and my new m15x has a 660m but it doesn't seem much better than the 560m. Ive not done any vbios modding before, are you planning on flasing the vbios straight away?

• 2 weeks later...