Y500 Liteon 128GB msata upgrade

benmingli

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Would it be okay to lose the HDD and put in an SSD instead of an mSATA? I'm more interested in the benefit of having an inexpensive solution (and not having to worry about dropping the laptop, haha)--and then in the future I can buy a cheaper mSATA.

Would it be okay to lose the HDD and put in an SSD instead of an mSATA? I'm more interested in the benefit of having an inexpensive solution (and not having to worry about dropping the laptop, haha)--and then in the future I can buy a cheaper mSATA.

If you have your own OS to install you can just take out the 5400 rpm HDD that comes with the laptop and put in any SSD. I am using a 64gb M4 crucial in the primary slot and I put the 1tb hdd in a caddy in place off the DVD drive.

I would take advantage of the msata. If anything only use it for your OS and if you have games and other large applications install it on your 1TB. I was able to get a 64gb ssd on a gaming desktop I built, and install the OS will the necessary applications (office, internet security, etc) and a pagefile that totaled to 50gb. I install Crysis 3 and Skyrim on the large non ssd drive. Works pretty well with that setup

I bought my Y500 last week and received it Thursday night. Bought it online in the US and had it delivered to the UK, as Lenovo don't sell the dual set-up here! You have to buy the Ultrabay GPU at significant cost. All in I saved a packet. Anyway, I installed a 64Gb Adata 550/525 mb/s mSATA and a 240Gb Mushkin 560/520 mb/s unit. Reinstalled Windows 8 from scratch with no bloatware and it picked up the BIOS key no worries. The laptop is lightening fast, loads up in sub 10 secs from off, mighty impressive and importantly one doesn't have to worry about throwing laptop on to bed, etc. I recommend you employ ATTO disk benchmark, it's the only one that gives you the true sustained transfer rate.

I got the Liteon M3M 256GB I get around 450/380 mb/s (using CrystalMark). Not as advertised but can't complaint about everything in life :) .. I will focus my complaints on the US tax system and high property taxes :)

Parts bought.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6095[/ATTACH]

Put the new msata in place (2 screws needed)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6096[/ATTACH]

So far I'm enjoying the upgrade and hopefully this answers some questions.

Do you have more pictures of your system disassembled? I've noticed that there are some pretty significant differences just from the 2 pictures above when compared to my Y500. Looks like Lenovo did some updating to the internals to include the cooling. Is your Y500 equipped with the 750m?

• 2 weeks later...
n1smo dont you own the 3210M model ?

I noticed there are 35W and 45W boards for Y500.

I am running the i7-3632QM. I could be wrong, but it seems the Asian Y500s are quite a bit different from the rest of the world Y500s. The OP's laptop is the same one as the Lenovo dis-assembly video on YouTube. I wonder if they get better cooling too, I've been watching the Malaysian websites and their Y500 seems to run much cooler, or at least one of the guys posting over there is claiming much cooler temperatures... 55C max.

I am running the i7-3632QM. I could be wrong, but it seems the Asian Y500s are quite a bit different from the rest of the world Y500s. The OP's laptop is the same one as the Lenovo dis-assembly video on YouTube. I wonder if they get better cooling too, I've been watching the Malaysian websites and their Y500 seems to run much cooler, or at least one of the guys posting over there is claiming much cooler temperatures... 55C max.

IF you ever happen to open up your Y500 write down all the FRUs or SKUs you find. I think you have a 35W motherboard and cooling if that exists. I mean the 35W cooling.

Or maybe it's badly mounted

I would take advantage of the msata. If anything only use it for your OS and if you have games and other large applications install it on your 1TB. I was able to get a 64gb ssd on a gaming desktop I built, and install the OS will the necessary applications (office, internet security, etc) and a pagefile that totaled to 50gb. I install Crysis 3 and Skyrim on the large non ssd drive. Works pretty well with that setup
whats the advantage of having that large a page file? If you've got loads of ram do you still need a page file?

• 1 month later...

can you please confirm that booting to your mSATA works when there is another drive (e.g. storage or separate OS) attached to the 2.5" normal hard disk bay?

I can't boot to mSATA with a drive connected to 2.5", that's why I am asking.

• 4 months later...
can you please confirm that booting to your mSATA works when there is another drive (e.g. storage or separate OS) attached to the 2.5" normal hard disk bay?

I can't boot to mSATA with a drive connected to 2.5", that's why I am asking.

Did you deleted the boot files from the 2.5" hdd? i had the same problem, also check in bios and set your msata as primary boot option. Hope this helps