Fresh Install 920XM M17x R2, Must always unplug and hold power in order to reboot!

Heatshiver

I bought and installed a 920XM into my M17x R2, and it seems to be working fairly well. A bit of throttling (as already known by many), but I turned off Turbo and that stopped it.

My issue is that whenever I try to boot up my laptop now, it won't. I have to unplug the power (don't have the battery in), and then hold the power button for 10-20 seconds. I then plug the power back in, press the power button, and it will usually boot up. I sometimes have to perform the procedure twice in order to get it to work...

For now, I'm not too bothered by it. I try to imagine it as a security measure so that some rando can't just turn it on. However, I would like to fix this.

Anyone know what's causing this? Fixes? Suggestions? Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

That doesn't sound like a security measure. Based on what you have to do, it sounds like there's a hardware fault somewhere. My gut's saying that the CPU's drawing too much power when it first turns on and it's causing the system to just panic and refuse to power up further unless you try a few times.

What happens if you try with the battery in? That might give it enough headroom to boot without problems.