nVidia GeForce GTX TITAN

danalec

post-10265-14494994346033_thumb.jpg

GK110 Comprised of 2,688 CUDA cores, 7.1 billion transistors and with a die size of 551 mm^2 :sweat:

TITAN will have 14 of them enabled for a total of 2688 shaders and 224 texture units. Clock speeds on TITAN are a bit lower than on GK104 with a base clock rate of 836 MHz and a Boost Clock of 876 MHz.

the memory bus is stillrunning at 6.0 GHz resulting in total memory bandwdith of 288.4 GB/s. :dribble:

sources:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Preview - GK110, GPU Boost 2.0, Overclocking and GPGPU | PC Perspective

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi guys,

I like new progress with Titan in-chip power management - im talking about that updated GPU Boost v2.0, which introduces except Kepler's Base Clock and Boost Clock also brand new variable > Max Clock.

OC ability is now increased since chip (over) voltage level is controlled via temperature and Max Clock is affected by core power consumption and the actual GPU / memory utilization...

• 3 weeks later...

I want this card. It's way out of my price range, but if I was rich I'd order 3 of them for SLI in a heartbeat.

I don't think the price for top-tier hardware matches what you get though. In a year you can get something like this for a fraction of the price.

I want this card. It's way out of my price range, but if I was rich I'd order 3 of them for SLI in a heartbeat.

I don't think the price for top-tier hardware matches what you get though. In a year you can get something like this for a fraction of the price.

Such has always been the nature of PC hardware, the 8800 ultra (IIRC) was $1000 back in the day. If you want the latest and greatest, it's never the most sensibly priced. ;)

• Founder
Such has always been the nature of PC hardware, the 8800 ultra (IIRC) was $1000 back in the day. If you want the latest and greatest, it's never the most sensibly priced. ;)

So true, cutting edge hardware is never cheap or reasonable for price:performance.

• 1 month later...
7990 is a dual gpu card. Thus you can't really compare it to gtx titan.

It can be compared, sure. The graphs and benchmark numbers posted on websites don't give a feeling for how the actual gameplay is though. I mean that's what you buy these cards for, to play games, right?

Then again some folks go stereo shopping paying attention to the lowest distortion and highest watts, nevermind listening to how it sounds. (plays)

HA!

• 2 weeks later...
It can be compared, sure. The graphs and benchmark numbers posted on websites don't give a feeling for how the actual gameplay is though. I mean that's what you buy these cards for, to play games, right?

Then again some folks go stereo shopping paying attention to the lowest distortion and highest watts, nevermind listening to how it sounds. (plays)

HA!

But for absolute gaming power... You cannot run four 7990s together, unlike GTX Titans which could do quad SLi.

But for absolute gaming power... You cannot run four 7990s together, unlike GTX Titans which could do quad SLi.

Two 7990s, like two 690s, for quad SLI.

However it's possible to run more than two dual GPU cards in the same system for computation. Compute applications don't need SLI/X-fire and as a matter of fact, should be disabled completely when performing these tasks.

As far as quad SLI Titans go, the scaling clearly shows diminishing returns after three probably due to CPU bottlenecks. That said, I'm very happy with my dual titans running with dual X5690s at 4.5GHz. :)

Two 7990s, like two 690s, for quad SLI.

However it's possible to run more than two dual GPU cards in the same system for computation. Compute applications don't need SLI/X-fire and as a matter of fact, should be disabled completely when performing these tasks.

As far as quad SLI Titans go, the scaling clearly shows diminishing returns after three probably due to CPU bottlenecks. That said, I'm very happy with my dual titans running with dual X5690s at 4.5GHz.

Yes, I know that. So I said "gaming power" but not "computing power" :P

That would be awesome, but I really doubt it, the power draw of such a monster die is just too big. The 480m which had almost the same die size was a huge failure, severely underclocked and run only a tiny little bit faster than a 470m which cost about half and came with distinctly lower temps.

Nevertheless it would be awesome, especially seeing that a GK110 chip could run at a much lower voltage than it currently does in the desktop part.

...but I really don't want to imagine the premium you'd pay compared to the desktop world.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I almost have to wonder if it isn't complete overkill though. Unless virtual reality comes out, and I don't think this card would support it when it does. I don't see anything except maybe 3D games requiring all of the power it puts out anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...