I7 x920 and GTX 560M HELP Please!

Arro

Hi all, I'm new to the forums, but I have been reading alot on them. Can't find the help I need, so I decided to join ask for advice. I'm new to laptop modifying, but not new to desktop. So I recently traded my desktop for an Alienware M15x. Previous owner upgraded to a x920 and 560M. He mentioned needed a modded inf file so the video card driver could be installed. He gave me it on a usb. I reformatted and reinstalled windows 7 home premium, All the drivers are up to date and everything is recognized. But the one game I play, Star Wars The Old Republic mmo, have crappy framerates. 30-15 and less. On low graphics at 1080. I have been doing as much research as I can. I just tried 3DMark11 and it gave me a really bad score, not anywhere near other 560M, I'll include the link to my score. The laptop also has 8gigs of DDR3 ram. Also tried running ThrottleStop and with the performance setting on, I noticed the CPU temp never went higher than 82 degrees while running 3dmark11. And didn't go over 75 degrees during swtor playtime. I would like to know if I'm missing some special step or program that will allow this after market cpu and gpu to run at potential. I feel like not even the ram is performing right. Could really use some advice and guidance please. If you need any other info just let me know. Any other tasks I do on the pc it runs smooth and fine. I just want to be able to play swtor on medium, and prolly eventually Skyrim.

Link to 3dmark11 results - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz,Alienware score: P1114 3DMarks

You don't have the latest driver on your system... I recommend using the latest Nvidia driver. Also it seems to me as if your system is in stealth mode, check that. (The little speedometer button on the very right of the touch button panel, if it's activated it is slightly brighter than when deactivated, just press it a couple of times to see the difference. You want to have it deactivated.)

The driver I just installed was 310.90. Stealth mode is off, though when I did turn it on during the game, it started skipping around. After re-installing the video driver, my frames did go up. 30-40 on just high 1080. Is SWTOR just to graphically advanced that my card cant run on ultra? Or is it something with cpu or ram?

Well the link in the first posts tells me your previous driver was very outdated. 30-40 fps on high at 1080p sounds about right for a 560m. You can say SWOTR is too graphically advanced for your card, but I'd rather say your card is too weak for swotr at 1080p. :) Overclocking it might help a little bit.

Ok so the gpu is my bottleneck? I'll try to over clocked it a little. Though if I run throttlestop and oc my cpu, swtor starts to get worst framerates, its actually when ts is running whether it be overclocking or just monitoring. Also what gpu would you recommend to run swtor on very high and skyrim? Thank you.

Also any tips for making it run smoother? Already OC'ing the gpu, can't do the cpu without the game lagging. I turned off AA and shadows and bloom. Anything besides a lower resolution, I feel like if its not 1080 it doesnt look as sharp, like its all blurry its weird lol. Thanks again!

Also could it be the power supply, its stock from what I believe. The guy I traded said he just got the cpu installed and i might need to get a 240watt psu from ebay from an m17x? I'm new to all this laptop upgrading. Does this sound right?