Thinking about some more cooling mods for gt 70? advice?

Paul Kadoshnikov

I was thinking about doing some more cooling mods in the gt 70 for the 680m and was wondering where i could possibly get a replacement heatsink (and extra copper heat pipes) so i could solder on some copper heatsinks and possibly extra pipes? As well as would it do anything to get a more power hungry fan (or find a higher power and quieter fan?). im also trying to devise a way to possibly get some water cooling in there on a minimal scale. but i was thinking on throwing on extra copper pipes to have more heating area that will keep it cooler.

edit: so i believe i found a suitable water block, and a water pump that will work, (12 volts about <400 mA) where could i tap 12 volts from in the gt70? i dont wanna use the fan spot because its still needed...i could possibly just use a 12 volt battery cell, i would have to replace/recharge it a bit, but it would work, and place the battery by my SSD since its smaller than a HDD in size, and the pump could be placed by the lower right side of the mobo where there appears to be sufficient room.

i think ill hold off on this project till later in the year, but i def want to try this out.

still have problems with temperature on 680m ? then still don't stick correctly gpu&heatsink - must be some space between than blocking transfer heat to heatsink

I agree... But still i want an extra heatsink kit for msi gt60 though.. Oh well I cant wait for my 240 watts to arrive soon:Banane16:

still have problems with temperature on 680m ? then still don't stick correctly gpu&heatsink - must be some space between than blocking transfer heat to heatsink

just a little, on very demanding games it goes up to 90's easy, but even in lighter games after a while it gets up in higher temps. i mean if i keep turbo fans on then im golden. i may just have to resort to that. but if i had at least an extra heatsink and pipes, it might help, i mean the 3rd pipe that goes to the ram of the card (very left of it, doesnt get direct contact with the chips since there is the thermal pad, then the metal pad on which the copper rests on so if i could link a pipe to the acual 2 that are used and the 3rd one, perhaps it would help a little.

its just hard to abuse my gpu while people get 66 C on overclock in 3dmark whereas i get 78+ C on no overclock.

But thinking, is there a liquid cooling gpu or cpu piece for the 680m or g2 socket for laptops... i mean think about it, liquid cooling is just running a liquid through tubes that get cooled at a copper cooling area, so why not get a slim liquid cooling part for gpu or cpu, then run a length of tubing if there is enough room as far as you can, while also fitting copper piping on it by the fan part where the copper pipes dissipate heat stock wise. essentially it would be a very small scale liquid cooling... worried bout water damage? use mineral oil since its not conductive... i think i can get this to work if there is a module for the gpu and cpu and have small tubing/ or side ways tube spots no 90 degree ones... if such hardware is available this project should very well be accomplish-able. if the tubing or copper pipes leak, itll be fine since mineral oil wont cause a shortage.

if using a thin tubing you could get up to six copper pipe locations to dissipate heat by the fan, and if its thin, can fit it around many places, so u get alot of liquid, so the plan would be slow temp increase, but also slow temp decrease...

now if anyone can tell me whether it would be better to attempt this or if the air cooling is way better? is there a formula to estimate heat dissipation from just copper, to a liquid and copper piping...

any input would be great, if anyone who has experience has input but is lost by what im saying please ask and i might try to make a graphic...

and this should be easily reversible as i want to use a new heatsink entirely

edit: distilled/deionized water works best as far as i read. so thats the liquid to use.

edit 2: this waterblock might just work http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermaltake-CL-W0088-Aqua-Brazing-All-Copper-series-W2-VGA-Waterblock-/281028143429?pt=US_Video_Card_GPU_Cooling&hash=item416e952945....

(added edit to first post)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...