Undervolting with the GE60?

Jim Zhang

Hey guys,

It seems that the majority of posts I have seen so far pertain to the gt series in regards to modded BIOS', overclocking, unlocking etc.

I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on undervolting the 660m on a GE60-257US laptop, and undervolting the i7-3630Qm.

I have read that, in order to undervolt, or even adjust the voltage of the 660m in a GE60, one must use a modded BIOS, and I have seen nothing on undervolting the cpu.

I was following a mod thread posted on the laptopreviews forum by Forge, found here:

GE60 Optimization/Benchmark/Modding Thread

but Forge has since put his GE60 up for sale ( which I would very much love to buy, but alas am an international user :confusion:)

Thus, there is no new info on the matter. The reason for my interest in undervolting, other than being something techy and cool, is my desire to keep my laptop cool, which is notorious for running ludicrously hot (in the 90-94C range on both cpu and gpu) when gaming or anything resource intensive. The warranty for my laptop is limited and I can't get a better warranty (can't even open the back panel by the looks of things now), so adding copper blocks, sheets and re-pasting is out for the moment. I can't even find a registered serviceman in my area (Auckland, New Zealand) that will stick an mSATA SSD in the thing.

If you have any tips, or possibly can link me to a person/company in NZ that could help with upgrades/ modding while keeping tghe warranty, it would be much appreciated. (also, Thank the heavens for the auto-save function! I timed out while writing this :P)

EDIT: Here is the link to the latest BIOS (hopefully it works):

http://rapidshare.com/files/12120769/w8_E16GAIMS.513.zip

I will post a screenshot of GPU-Z as soon as my USB drive is found (or when my new one gets here).

Here is the screenshot of GPU-Z with the BIOS updated:

post-9955-14494994296308_thumb.gif

Yeah, that was my bios mod, never got around to release it... and now that my SSD died last week I first need to mod it again since all that stuff is gone. Will take a while, but eventually I'll post it. In the meantime can you post a link to the latest stock bios and a screenshot of GPU-Z (while using that bios)?

Ah, I get it, gotta upload the file somewhere, I don't think linking the MSI site will work...

Also, turns out, someone in the house has stolen all the USB drive so I need to get a new one, will be in around 9am tomorrow, which is in about 21 hours from this post (I live in GMT+12).

hopefully I can update my BIOS then and link the stuff

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey guys,

It seems that the majority of posts I have seen so far pertain to the gt series in regards to modded BIOS', overclocking, unlocking etc.

I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on undervolting the 660m on a GE60-257US laptop, and undervolting the i7-3630Qm.

I have read that, in order to undervolt, or even adjust the voltage of the 660m in a GE60, one must use a modded BIOS, and I have seen nothing on undervolting the cpu.

I was following a mod thread posted on the laptopreviews forum by Forge, found here:

GE60 Optimization/Benchmark/Modding Thread

but Forge has since put his GE60 up for sale ( which I would very much love to buy, but alas am an international user :confusion:)

Thus, there is no new info on the matter. The reason for my interest in undervolting, other than being something techy and cool, is my desire to keep my laptop cool, which is notorious for running ludicrously hot (in the 90-94C range on both cpu and gpu) when gaming or anything resource intensive. The warranty for my laptop is limited and I can't get a better warranty (can't even open the back panel by the looks of things now), so adding copper blocks, sheets and re-pasting is out for the moment. I can't even find a registered serviceman in my area (Auckland, New Zealand) that will stick an mSATA SSD in the thing.

If you have any tips, or possibly can link me to a person/company in NZ that could help with upgrades/ modding while keeping tghe warranty, it would be much appreciated. (also, Thank the heavens for the auto-save function! I timed out while writing this :P)

EDIT: Here is the link to the latest BIOS (hopefully it works):

http://rapidshare.com/files/12120769/w8_E16GAIMS.513.zip

I will post a screenshot of GPU-Z as soon as my USB drive is found (or when my new one gets here).

Here is the screenshot of GPU-Z with the BIOS updated:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6019[/ATTACH]

The only thing that I did in the meantime to keep my CPU in check was to change the "Maximum processor state" to 70%. You can find this in your Power plan->Advanced Settings->Processor power management. With this I've been able to consistently keep my CPU temps in the high 70s-low 80s while playing games. I know I'm gimping the processor, but at least it's at a temp I'm comfortable with. And to tell you the truth, it's not like I would see any clear-cut difference when using my laptop in every day tasks, unless I was doing something CPU intensive like video encoding...

It would be nice, though, to be able to use the CPU at 100% without it heating excessively...

@svl7, just seeing if there any more progress on releasing that modified bios you had Forge test out. I see that there is a donation link on the home page to raise money for a new laptop for you. I'm willing to chip in 20 bucks to the pot if you're able to release the bios. I'm currently staying in the Philippines right now and the heat here is my biggest enemy. Had an ASUS K53-TA before and loved how I was able to undervolt and overclock it but was starting to show it's age on newer games. Now that I have the GE60 laptop I am just worried about it consistently hitting the 90s at stock settings. Need for this laptop to last me a few years, at least through my medical residency training... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would ask Forge, but his comment in the other forum stated he got his BIOS from svl7 and wouldn't give the BIOS due to svl7's request. I was just hoping svl would have time to release his modded BIOS or at least give the ok to Forge to give it out on his behalf. At this point in time I have been using the temporary solution of using Throttlestop and disabled boost as well as lowered my multiplier to 29. At these settings my CPU temps stay in the high 80's at the most. These settings as well as removing the bottom cover and using a laptop cooler.

Sucks, because what's the point of having an Intel processor with Turbo if it pushes your temps into the high 90s? I've heard the arguments of some saying that 90 for the CPU is ok while others say it isn't. I prefer that it not be so hot because this is the only laptop I have at the moment and don't want to risk it. Already did the repasting of the processor with little improvement in temps. I understand, though, if svl is busy. For myself, just finished taking the board exam here in the Philippines and now am a licensed doctor.:Banane42: So I understand the compromise of work and projects. Oh well, won't have a lot of time to play Borderlands 2 as I'm already preparing myself to take the US board exams now. So if I have to wait, I can always just study some more in the meantime...

I'm not really having problems with the GPU temps. When playing the GPU has been going up to around high 70s at most... I also have the 660m btw, not the 650...