WiHD now available for order with M17x-R3, my thoughts..

Michael

• Founder

As promised by Alienware before, the WiHD kits are now available while configuring your R3.

Available option are:

• Internal WirelessHD Technology FullHD Video Transmitter - 99$
  • Vizio XWH200 Universal WirelessHD Video and Audio Kit with internal 60Hz WirelessHD Transmitter - 289$

xwh200.png

Here's what i found after a brief research.

To stream WirelessHD you obviously need both transmitter and receiver.

Modern TVs should start coming out with the receiver bundled but for the rest both are required.

That means the first option won't give WiHD capabilities because you are lacking the receiver.

Second option comes with both the internal transmitter (option A) plus the commercially available Vizio XWH200 kit (199$ on Amazon) which includes the said receiver and a 4 ports external transmitter to which you can plug your BD/Xbox/PS3 etc.

So for those of us that ordered the R3 before that option was available the only option is to purchase the Vizio (or competing offerings) kit separately and either connect the R3 to the external transmitter or find the internal transmitter.

Dell claims it's only available with new Laptop purchase, any idea where we can buy one ?

Edited by Michael
  • Thumbs Up 3

So michael are we trying to find out if we can get the internal option for the M17x-R3? Because I believe the one I ordered comes with one (and my order is older than yours) or Am I getting confused?

Wait I don't See that option itemized in my configuration, does that mean we never had the chance to selected and they just added?

Edited by wbabt007
Edit

• Founder
So michael are we trying to find out if we can get the internal option for the M17x-R3? Because I believe the one I ordered comes with one (and my order is older than yours) or Am I getting confused?

Either aim confused or we are NOT getting one since that option is only available for a few days. Can you post the part number on your order of the part you think the transmitter is?

Here is the entire order.

1 225-0536 Alienware M17x Soft-Touch, Stealth Black

1 317-6114 Intel Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

1 317-6120 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS)

1 331-1347 Alienware M17x 240W A/C Adapter

1 320-1932 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920x1080 120Hz WLED w/ NVIDIA 3D Vision Bundle

1 320-1938 1.5GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M

1 342-2220 750GB 7,200RPM HDD

1 331-1350 Custom Nameplate

1 330-6106 Personalized Nameplate Trigger

1 313-8792 AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue

1 421-4655 Alienware Command Center Software, M17X

1 421-1399 Genuine Windows 7 Professional, 64bit, English

1 420-9691 DataSafe Local BackUp

1 420-9956 Vista PC Restore

1 421-0092 DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG

1 410-1883 Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 Multi-Language

1 318-0396 Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

1 421-4541 Roxio Creator Starter,No Media

1 421-4550 Power DVD 9.6, 3D

1 318-0424 Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

1 430-4021 MOD,CRD,NTWK,6300,ANW

1 330-6348 Automatic Updates: On

1 939-0330 Dell Hardware Limited Warranty, Extended Year

1 939-0320 Dell Hardware Limited Warranty, Initial Year

1 939-0380 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 2 Year Extended

1 939-0340 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, Initial Year

1 950-3339 3 Year Limited Warranty

1 993-8552 Accidental Damage Service, 3 Years

1 421-1721 Soft Contracts Service Hardware Agreement for Alienware

1 421-1719 Soft Contracts Consumer Accidental Damage Agreement for Alienware

1 993-8582 Warranty Support, 2 Year Extended

1 994-3730 Warranty Support, Initial Year

1 330-0171 S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Notebooks

1 421-1360 Steam and Portal Factory Installed

1 330-5090 Thank You for Purchasing AlienWare

1 600-0002 State Environmental Fee for display 15 inches, less than 35 inches

Now I think we screw because If we had this in our AW it would indicate the following code.

WIRELESSHD Internal WirelessHD Technology - FullHD Video Transmitter

But I was pretty sure our AW m17x-R3 had this built in, now I feel cheated.

The M18x had that available on its configurator... I was trying to figure out what you needed... I pretty much knew that I didn't have a TV with any of this built in. I've been debating to get this when I order my M18x. So can we get the internal transmitter and find the receiver separate and cheaper than $200 from Amazon? I would use it to stream movies to my entertainment center in my lving room or wirelessly connect to one of my tv's for quick big screen gaming.

• Founder
The M18x had that available on its configurator... I was trying to figure out what you needed... I pretty much knew that I didn't have a TV with any of this built in. I've been debating to get this when I order my M18x. So can we get the internal transmitter and find the receiver separate and cheaper than $200 from Amazon? I would use it to stream movies to my entertainment center in my lving room or wirelessly connect to one of my tv's for quick big screen gaming.

Yes, you can get the internal transmitter only and buy other WiHD receiver than the Vizio Dell offers.

If u plan to purchase the Vizio anyway I think it's priced fairly by Dell since for 289$ you get the internal transmitter plus the Vizio kit that is priced at 200$ at amazon.

What I am trying to figure out is this- how can people that purchased their R3s without the internal transmitter get one.

Complain to Dell, if it's in the return period then you could return and reorder... But that's a big hastle. So maybe complaining could get a tech sent to you to install one?...But seeing what happened with my R2 I don't see that as a good option either.

Edited by mw86

• Founder

Yeah. It seems you can order it from dell. There is just one slight problem, just like the wifi card, the transmitter needs an antenna cable (says so in the service manual) and i suspect those that didn't order the laptop initially with the transmitter won't have that cable.

trying to, wished i had a part number which would make it easier.

just opened up the lcd panel and can confirm there is no antenna leads, wonder if i can use one of the extra wifi leads.

i think i may of found the part number: 39PKF Sibeam Antenna Module (Includes Antenna)

i'm gonna cancel my order, can't justify $300+ to get widi working, prolly something i won't be using much anyways.

Edited by iloveb00bs

• Founder
trying to, wished i had a part number which would make it easier.

just opened up the lcd panel and can confirm there is no antenna leads, wonder if i can use one of the extra wifi leads.

i think i may of found the part number: 39PKF Sibeam Antenna Module (Includes Antenna)

i'm gonna cancel my order, can't justify $300+ to get widi working, prolly something i won't be using much anyways.

Why 300$? The module is about 99$ right? How much is the antenna cable?

its because i will have to buy a receiver too. i don't know the price of the antenna, i could barely understand anything the rep was saying, hahahah

prolly wait till monday to call, would be nice to have so i'm still thinking about doing it, but just too hard to find a good rep today, got tired of explaining shit to them.

Edited by iloveb00bs

I think the concept is great and I could really use a wireless audio/video feed from my laptop to my home theater in another room. I'm thinking about opting for their receiver + internal transmitter bundle.

• Founder

So, i finally got to a rep that knew what i am talking about and was actually able to locate the parts ( the rest couldn't find the parts even with the part numbers i gave them )

He said he can order that for me, but then he checked and found out that there aren't any in stock for order, and promised he'll call me back once they appear.

BTW, antenna module price is 90 bucks, plus the 89 bucks for the module itself.

Makes it pretty expensive transmitter, not sure i even want to bother with it..

I might try to force them to sell it for me for the price you get when you order it with the laptop, i'll say i want to return my laptop and reorder otherwise.

• Founder

i think that once the technology will become more popular more and more solutions will pop. I am sure we'll be able to buy a USB transmitter in the future and save tons of money vs buying it today