laptop novice/ tips for maintaining a healthy GE60?

Jim Zhang

Hello everyone.

This is my first post, and as the title says, I am a latptop newbie, with the MSI GE60-0ND-257US being my first laptop of any description.

I heard that this laptop runs quite hot, and have experienced such heat while gaming and am wondering on how I should maintain it.

If you have any tips on cleaning, tweaking, or suggestions on, well anything really (laptop coolers, keyboard/screen wipes, cleaingin equipment, DO's and DON'T's)

it would be much appreciated.

• 1 year later...

You could try undervolting the processor and/or graphics card to reduce heat without impacting performance. Also, make sure that the minimum CPU speed is 5% or lower so as to minimize heat production when the computer's not under heavy use. I haven't found much effect by using a laptop cooler (one with a fan), though a general lapdesk can ensure the laptop's vents are clear and away from your clothing or skin. Try to avoid cleaning the screen, or touching it in general, as the GE60 screen is pretty thin, and any cleaning solutions can run into the corners of the display and ruin it. That said, a small amount of rubbing alcohol applied to a microfiber cloth can be effective at cleaning as long as you're careful.

Finally, try to minimize the number of times you plug/unplug the laptop, as the battery's life is measured in cycles, and each time the battery starts being drained or charged, it counts as a cycle.