M14x R1 Questions

cyjax

Greetings,

I am looking to upgrade the memory from 4gb to the maximum and for the life of me I cannot find any official documentation on the dell website that provides specs on the maximum the m14x R1 will support. I've caught a few posts on other sites suggesting 16gb PC1600 worked for them however I am skeptical. Has anyone successfully added 16gb, if so what brand did you use? The second thing I am planning to upgrade is the HDD to a SSD.

-Cy

As far as I know the M14x R1 supports a maximum of 8GB at 1600MHz while R2 supports up to 16. I would also be interested to hear if anyone has gotten 16GB working in their R1. In terms of your upgrade, the SSD and 8GB will still give you a nice performance improvement.

That is not true, with the R1 you can run the ram UP to 16gbs same as R2. However the R1 is NOT SSD friendly as the R2 is

will definitely agree with R1 is not ssd friendly with the A08 bios version because of the sata speeds restricting to 2 and my seagate constantly BSOD's. i haven't tried the modded A08 version yet and am praying that this will be the cure to my blue screens.

• 2 weeks later...
However the R1 is NOT SSD friendly as the R2 is

You know that it was sold with SSD (as option though)

Anyhow I can hardly think of a use for 16GB ram on R1, your processor or video card

will limit you before you even start using more then 8 GB ram.

though if someone have any proof that 16GB can boost M14x R1 performance, I will be the first to buy it :livid:

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings,

I am looking to upgrade the memory from 4gb to the maximum and for the life of me I cannot find any official documentation on the dell website that provides specs on the maximum the m14x R1 will support. I've caught a few posts on other sites suggesting 16gb PC1600 worked for them however I am skeptical. Has anyone successfully added 16gb, if so what brand did you use? The second thing I am planning to upgrade is the HDD to a SSD.

-Cy

look here Link

I have these

KHX1600C9S3/8G 2x8gb Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz cl 9

and 0 problems

ciao :Banane52:

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that people are able to get 16GB of RAM to be recognized in the R1. I upgraded to 8GB a while back and it was a nice improvement. I believed the manual when I read that 8GB was the maximum though, otherwise I would've tried for more!

• 4 weeks later...

I know alot of people that said 16gb works, but really 8 is as much as you need. The performance is bottle-necked by the gpu anyways. As for the HDD to SSD, highly recommend, just make sure your bios is either A05 or a modded A08 with the sata fix, since the regular a08 from dell/alienware limits the sata speed to sata 2. If you dont need your optical drive either, try getting a caddy to replace it with your old hdd and put the new ssd where the original hard drive was. This way you'll have your os and important apps on the ssd, and media on the hdd, since higher capacity ssds can be pretty pricey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've running 8GB at 1600MHz without any problems and from the documentation I received with my machine, that's the maximum speed/capacity it's rated for. I.e. that WILL (almost definitely) work, anything else might required some further fiddling... however looking at the responses above, a lot is possible here.

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings,

-Cy

4gb-8gb of RAM would be fine for now.. i recommend you to upgrade to newer alienware like m17x R3 (if you have budget ofcourse) .. you can monitor your RAM just simply look at task manager , it barely gets up to 4gb of RAM that mean 4gb is far more than enough (for now..)