M18x U.S. Configurator

Would you still buy the M18x if the prices remain the same?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still buy the M18x if the prices remain the same?

• Yes, I find it normal for what they offer
    • No, it is way overpriced

• Founder
Xotic Pc offers to do that when you order...

Yeah but the optical drive is not a SATA 2 connection, you automatically downgrade the speed of the RAID to that of the slowest drive...

Wait, you removed the optical drive and replaced it with an SSD and RAIDed it with the other SSD on slot 2 or did you use an external eSATA enclosure?

I removed the optical drive and used an adapter. One of the slower drives sits in the ODD caddy adapter.

Im using windows software raid, as well so that I can transfer the drives if need be.

-Ash

Yeah but the optical drive is not a SATA 2 connection, you automatically downgrade the speed of the RAID to that of the slowest drive...

You're sure? I thought only the optical drive was SATA I, not the port itself... if I remember correctly it's a SATA II port, at least that's the case in the M15x if I remember correctly, and they have similar chipsets, right? I've once seen some CDM benching of someone who had a SSD in the optical drive, and if I'm not mistaken it worked with SATA II speeds...

I could be wrong though...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully it's coming out today I want to place my order so badly. If I was putting a drive in optical drive bay I'd do 2 ssd in raid0 and a 1 terabyte hardrive for storage.

• Founder
You're sure? I thought only the optical drive was SATA I, not the port itself... if I remember correctly it's a SATA II port, at least that's the case in the M15x if I remember correctly, and they have similar chipsets, right? I've once seen some CDM benching of someone who had a SSD in the optical drive, and if I'm not mistaken it worked with SATA II speeds...

I could be wrong though...

Have to check that, what you say sounds more reasonable, I have a spare HDD so I will give it a shot next time I will open the laptop

• Founder
I removed the optical drive and used an adapter.

-Ash

Is there enough space for 2 disks side by side? or possibly remove the card reader and have them on top of each other?

• 4 months later...
There are 4 hardware ports in the m17x r2, and all of them have the same host controller.

Only 3 ports are wired up, however.

I removed the optical drive and used an adapter. One of the slower drives sits in the ODD caddy adapter.

Im using windows software raid, as well so that I can transfer the drives if need be.

-Ash

Is there enough space for 2 disks side by side? or possibly remove the card reader and have them on top of each other?
4 drives that would be awesome.

Hi all sorry for my bad enlgish in advance, I am french QC ;). I am very very interested by all that reply, I have a M18X and would put a Crucial C300 in HDD Cady because I already have 2*750GB in raid 0.

Questions:

1) What is the SATA connection II or III at DVD Reader spot ? ( I hope for my SSD it SATA III)

2) It possible with adapter to put 4 HDD in M17X R2 if I have read good !!! ? If yes what is this adapter where we can buy it and can I do the same in M18X ?

Thx for answer in advance

Edited by Sector-z
forget 1 quote
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes he have already tell that 3 are wired on 4, he have put adapter if I have read good. Your idea by removing card reader seem to be the idea but Ashtefere have not answer at your questions on that post.

Check that adapter, but this only donate SATA 1 speed port 1.8"ZIF (CE) SSD HDD to serial ATA SATA adapter+cable | eBay

• Founder

I have to reopen the laptop to check but I doubt you can use the card reader to tell you exactly what is needed (I won't have access to that laptop until the end of September cause I am on vacations)

• 1 month later...
Dont know if you are still wanting an answer, but I no longer have the m18x, so I can't check. There are only 3 ports anyway, however.

-Ash

what system do you have and use now... a nice desktop or shuttle pc?

Just got myself an m14x last night, as I only play LoL nowadays.

To be honest, I am extremely impressed with it. It is an incredible little machine, and the GPU OC's like a beast.

I will be doing a review of it when I get the time, in a week or two.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got myself an m14x last night, as I only play LoL nowadays.

To be honest, I am extremely impressed with it. It is an incredible little machine, and the GPU OC's like a beast.

I will be doing a review of it when I get the time, in a week or two.

-Ash

Great to hear Ash that's awesome. Looking forward to it. Good to see your back don't always get to catch you around. I've worked on a small mod to my heat sinks in the m18x as its something you mentioned in an M18x cooling thread... and I figured I'd mention i tried it.. Seems like a good idea to add extra metal to the heat sinks and I also tried a single copper wire from my secondary gpu heatsink to the back end of the cpu heatsink by the fins... temps don't skyrocket as fast... did this after repasting... well during... i have one or two pics I can write a few more words on it in the M18x cooling thread if anyone wants. Its allowed me to run intel burn very high @ 8thread at a range of 3.2-3.4 max before without overheating and got to 94ish and now 89C on IBT with settings running it at 3.5-3.8ghz i was so happy... if it pushes to 3.8 more I can probably have about same 94C max and enoy the higher performance. Anyway thats IBT in other apps I can do 4.8ghz constant no prob been using 4.8ghz with core states disabled... needs close to 150mv close... enjoy the M14x looking forward to hearing about it.