• Founder

The issue will not be fixed until Dell redesigns the XPS 15 which means this generation of XPS 15 must be EOL (end of life) before that happens. The problem with the wireless is a design flaw, they did not do proper RF shielding for the wireless antenna and they did nothing at all to account for an aluminum display cover. The Dell design looks great in the videos + photos but when you see it in person, it's not as great as you'd think. Its fairly heavy and not that great looking--I'm surprised you don't like the Sony design, IMO it looks much better than Dell in person.

The issue will not be fixed until Dell redesigns the XPS 15 which means this generation of XPS 15 must be EOL (end of life) before that happens. The problem with the wireless is a design flaw, they did not do proper RF shielding for the wireless antenna and they did nothing at all to account for an aluminum display cover. The Dell design looks great in the videos + photos but when you see it in person, it's not as great as you'd think. Its fairly heavy and not that great looking--I'm surprised you don't like the Sony design, IMO it looks much better than Dell in person.

Thanks for the clarifications, that helped me a lot, i'm not buying the DELL XPS anymore, DELL disappointed me, i can consider it as a Failure copy of Macbook Pro, i will think again concerning Sony VAIO S.

• 2 months later...

I've got to say, having read a lot of reviews, I was expecting to return my XPS 15 as soon as it arrived, but it seems to me Dell might have fixed the wireless issue or done something to make it much better with a Killer card inside, I've got three laptops next to each other, my XPS 15 can see more of my neighbours wifi networks than I've ever seen before, and I'm getting a much better signal for my furthest access point in the house, than any other laptop. The 5GHz router is operating faster than any other laptop, all in all, I wouldn't say this laptop had any wifi issues. I wonder as mine is from the outlet and was delayed a little before shipping, if they have a solution that can be fitted in the factory.

I guess I'll have to wait and see, next step test the CPU throttling.

As for the design, if you've bought the Sony, clearly you're going to say it's a better design, personally I like the XPS, but that said design is secondary to function.

mike

• 2 months later...
I've got to say, having read a lot of reviews, I was expecting to return my XPS 15 as soon as it arrived, but it seems to me Dell might have fixed the wireless issue or done something to make it much better with a Killer card inside, I've got three laptops next to each other, my XPS 15 can see more of my neighbours wifi networks than I've ever seen before, and I'm getting a much better signal for my furthest access point in the house, than any other laptop. The 5GHz router is operating faster than any other laptop, all in all, I wouldn't say this laptop had any wifi issues. I wonder as mine is from the outlet and was delayed a little before shipping, if they have a solution that can be fitted in the factory.

The L521x is pretty close to EOL at this point, maybe they'll fix it for the next version. Better quality screen, fixed Wi-Fi and no thermal issues who knows.

I guess I'll have to wait and see, next step test the CPU throttling.

As for the design, if you've bought the Sony, clearly you're going to say it's a better design, personally I like the XPS, but that said design is secondary to function.

mike

As long as you don't use the GPU it will perform OK. If you bought the i5 version with the GT 630m it may not even have the overheating problem, I personally haven't tested one, I found the 5Ghz performance to be passable for short distances, 2.4Ghz is crap. Apparently the Killer card will help compensate for the issue so you might be able to live with it. I personally love the look and feel of the XPS 15 but I didn't like the fact that it performed on par with cheap economy notebooks that were 1/4 the price.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I just bought an xps L521x for my mum (56 y/o). It has 8gb ram, i7 3632qm and the 640m nvidia 2gb graphics. She want's to play games, but, her games are not like the games you think. She loves the look of the laptop and the screen, do you think it will be ok for her? the most demanding game she will want to play will be sim city 4 i think. Any help would be much appriciated, as i have already bought it and it arrives soon, but i can return it for a refund if needed. I was thinking about buying her an E6530 with the same specs, as that's a thicker laptop I'm guessing the cooling will be better? But it only has the NVS 5200m graphics, but should be fine for her. What do you think i should do?

Thanks

Rob

• 1 year later...
Hi - I just bought an xps L521x for my mum (56 y/o). It has 8gb ram, i7 3632qm and the 640m nvidia 2gb graphics. She want's to play games, but, her games are not like the games you think. She loves the look of the laptop and the screen, do you think it will be ok for her? the most demanding game she will want to play will be sim city 4 i think. Any help would be much appriciated, as i have already bought it and it arrives soon, but i can return it for a refund if needed. I was thinking about buying her an E6530 with the same specs, as that's a thicker laptop I'm guessing the cooling will be better? But it only has the NVS 5200m graphics, but should be fine for her. What do you think i should do?

Thanks

Rob

How did she like it? I bought one for my wife at Christmas and she loves hers. It is a gorgeous laptop... not a wicked performer, but more than ample for her and the average user.