svl7

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

6 hours ago, BigBuddha said:

Am I reading it right, you can't get into BIOS?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the CMOS battery is soldered in between the connectors, however I did manage to pry off the negative terminal and then set it back on the battery. It did not help. I will try the suggested steps by you and report back. Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, georob said:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the CMOS battery is soldered in between the connectors, however I did manage to pry off the negative terminal and then set it back on the battery. It did not help. I will try the suggested steps by you and report back. Thanks again.

Try to do all steps, but skip disconnect the CMOS battery.

10 minutes ago, Klem said:

Try to do all steps, but skip disconnect the CMOS battery.

No luck so far.

Just to be sure, this is the CMOS battery right? 

InkedIMG_20170607_161548_LI.jpg

1 minute ago, georob said:

Just to be sure, this is the CMOS battery right? 

InkedIMG_20170607_161548_LI.jpg

Yes.

Should this Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 work on my Lenovo Y500? Like could i just take out the old Qualcomm Atheros AR5B225, put this Intel one in, connect the 2 wires that i'm assuming are antennas, boot wWindows, install the drivers from Intels website and be good to go? Or am I gonna have to do some of this annoying BIOS modding stuff?
Edit:
BIOS Version: 6BCN42WW(V2. 02)
EC Version: 6BEC42WW(V2. 02)
I'm using Windows 10 in case that matters

And while we're at it, how can i use the ultrabay for a 2,5" SSD? I currently have the one with a second graphics card. Would I have to buy a whole new ultrabay that was meant to be used with a 2,5" drive? I'd rather buy a 2,5" SSD than an mSATA SSD, but if it means having to get a new ultrabay then i'm just gonna go with the mSATA SSD instead.

Edited by MarcusHuddinge
fixing link

I am stuck at creating backup because i could not access the fix file for the error 104. Gotta get promoted to be able to access the download.

In the meantime, if anyone having problem understanding the guide, this dude here makes a really good how-to video. props to him

youtube guide video

Edited by cipol3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was in the original version 2.04, I went back to the 2.02 modified and I'm trying for the 2.04 modified, but this one presenting the following error:
Fptw64.exe -f v204mod.bin -bios
Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error 284: Fail to load driver (PCI access for Windows).
Tool needs to run with an administrator priviledge account.

Now when trying to go from 2.02 mod to 2.04 mod it throws the following error:

Platform: Intel (R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register ... Flash Descriptor: Valid
    --- Flash Devices Found ---
    W25Q32BV ID: 0xEF4016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
    MX25L1605A ID: 0xC22015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)
PDR Region does not exist.
GBE Region does not exist.
Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.
Please contact the target system for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.

With the command fptw64.exe -i I get the following return:

Platform: Intel (R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register ... Flash Descriptor: Valid
    --- Flash Devices Found ---
    W25Q32BV ID: 0xEF4016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
    MX25L1605A ID: 0xC22015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)
    --- Flash Image Information -
    Signature: VALID
    Number of Flash Components: 2
        Component 1 - 4096KB (32768Kb)
        Component 2 - 2048KB (16384Kb)
    Regions:
        Descriptor - Base: 0x000000, Limit: 0x000FFF
        BIOS - Base: 0x180000, Limit: 0x5FFFFF
        ME - Base: 0x001000, Limit: 0x17FFFF
        GbE - Not present
        PDR - Not present
    Master Region Access:
        CPU / BIOS - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0B, Write: 0x0A
        ME - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0D, Write: 0x0C
        GbE - ID: 0x0118, Read: 0x08, Write: 0x08
Total Accessible SPI Memory: 6144KB, Total Installed SPI Memory: 6144KB
FPT Operation Passed

Could someone help me?

6 hours ago, netossc2 said:

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Hi!

This means that you need execute prr.exe before you flash mod bios. All steps already described in first post of this thread.

Just to make sure: unlocking the BIOS wouldn't do anything bad to my system? I do not need GPU overclocking features, will they be disabled by default?

Nothing can go irreversibly wrong during/after BIOS install if I'll be able to successfully make a BIOS backup like instructed? 

I just want to install 5ghz and ac-compatible wi-fi card and thinking of ordering 7260ac.

As long as you follow the directions, You should be fine. Nothing is overclocked by default,you just have to option to overclock if you wanted to.

I have successfully flashed my bios with the modded one. Do I need to flash my second GPU now? This is how it looks like in nvidia inspector. My main GPU says modified and not the other one. (See pic)599a031265111_Namnls.thumb.png.b734081d773efef31f2ccda59d720489.png

On 8/20/2017 at 2:46 PM, lajkasir said:

I have successfully flashed my bios with the modded one. Do I need to flash my second GPU now? This is how it looks like in nvidia inspector. My main GPU says modified and not the other one. (See pic)599a031265111_Namnls.thumb.png.b734081d773efef31f2ccda59d720489.png

Second GPU needs to be flashed separately.

Thanks for the answer. Im a lil bit confused. I have never had a SLI laptop before. What's your settings in NVIDIA control panel? Do you have it set to auto or cpu? Or does it matter?

sli.png

On 8/22/2017 at 9:37 AM, lajkasir said:

Thanks for the answer. Im a lil bit confused. I have never had a SLI laptop before. What's your settings in NVIDIA control panel? Do you have it set to auto or cpu? Or does it matter?

sli.png

The vBIOS for the second GPU needs to be flashed separately. As you saw, only your primary GPU vBIOS says modified, so now you need to do the second GPU.

rah9tUc.png         Iyg5TsJ.png

I have SLI enabled and PhysX set to auto-select (GPU2), which are the defaults:

27SfvMz.png