Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I get the next error: PICTURE_LINK

PDR Region does not exist.

GBE Region does not exist.

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vender for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.

Update:

Started from the start again, its working normaly now. Maybe a file was corrupt with copying.

Update:

Intel Wireless Advanced N 6235 is working flawless.

Ty svl7 :D, the hero.

I was curious, how do I reflash stock bios? My HDD is failing and I will need to send my computer in on warranty, what do I do to get the stock bios on? And I'm assuming I'll need to switch my WLAN card back to the default?

Flash the backup of your original BIOS.

Could a few people who installed the 7260 AC card report back findings? I am looking to upgrade my wifi card to the 7260 after doing the whitelist mod.

I'm hoping I get my privilege to download the zip files soon (mod please hear my plea!). But yes, any finding would be appreciated! Its between the 7260 for me or the 6235.

So far the 7260ac is working great for me. Much more stable than the stock 2230, as well. That card would give me random bluescreens all the time, weirdly.

Not sure if anyone has found this, but i found some of lenovos api's for fan speed and things like keyboards under Program Files (x86) > Lenovo > Power Mangement > Lenovo.EnergyMangement.dll, LenovoEMExpandedAPI.dll, LenovoSDKEmSubSystem.dll

I saw some people wondering about turning up fan speed and such, and there is a function called SetHighSpeedOfFan that sounds like a solution. There are also options for backlight, brightness, and a bunch of others.

I opened it with VS Express, but i assume other programs would also work.

Hopefully this helps some of you! :)

Screenshot of some options:

post-17172-14494996015209_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I saw some people wondering about turning up fan speed and such, and there is a function called SetHighSpeedOfFan that sounds like a solution. There are also options for backlight, brightness, and a bunch of others.

It looks to me like the "SetHighSpeedOfFan" variable is a Boolean. If so, does this mean that turning it off (or on) could let programs like SpeedFan actually work as intended?

I understand the CPUs in the Y400 series are socketed - has anyone out there had success in swapping that CPU out? Specifically, to something faster than a 3630QM? I know it's theoretically possible, but if anyone has concrete experience with a faster CPU in there I'd love to hear about it.

It is disabled at the hardware level.

Hello octiceps, remember me? I see that up until now you are following this thread XD..

i have a question for you.. can i change the primary gpu ? I want my my primary gpu to be the ultrabay gpu so that my primary gpu will not break down first and keep temps down

sorry for the extra trouble and thank you for helping me so far

and i will gladly +rep anyone that can give me a solution to this

I understand the CPUs in the Y400 series are socketed - has anyone out there had success in swapping that CPU out? Specifically, to something faster than a 3630QM? I know it's theoretically possible, but if anyone has concrete experience with a faster CPU in there I'd love to hear about it.

You can mount any 45W TDP Ivy Bridge i7, e.g. 3720QM, 3740QM, 3820QM, 3840QM. Not sure how the cooling system will deal with it though if they do run hotter.

Hello octiceps, remember me? I see that up until now you are following this thread XD..

i have a question for you.. can i change the primary gpu ? I want my my primary gpu to be the ultrabay gpu so that my primary gpu will not break down first and keep temps down

Yeah I've been involved with this thread pretty much since I got my Y500 LOL.

I'm pretty sure what you're asking is not possible. I have not found a way to do it. My speculation is that the framebuffer and display output are on the main GPU and it is always going to be the master GPU. The Ultrabay is the slave and always sends its work to the master GPU first before it's sent to the display.

I have actually found that the main GPU runs cooler than the Ultrabay in most instances. Its fan is just bigger and more powerful than the Ultrabay one even though it needs to cool both the CPU and GPU. In a primarily GPU-heavy game like Metro 2033 my Ultrabay runs almost 10C hotter but in a game that is both CPU- and GPU-heavy like BF3 the two GPU's are the same temperature.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can mount any 45W TDP Ivy Bridge i7, e.g. 3720QM, 3740QM, 3820QM, 3840QM. Not sure how the cooling system will deal with it though if they do run hotter.

Awesome, thanks. I know the heat situation might be a bit perilous, I would naturally repaste and so on to be as heat-efficient as possible. Anyone on this thread actually swapped one of these CPUs in and lived to tell the tale?

- - - Updated - - -

I second octiceps on this - I don't think this is physically possible. While I haven't -yet- opened my ultrabay GPU, I highly doubt the required RAMDACs are on the card, and even if they were there's no way for them to interface with the screen, so the built-in GPU will always be active. I don't think the drivers are built to accommodate a "pass-through" situation either - I tried that for giggles at one point with my desktop SLI setup and it didn't work. There was no way to configure it. I'm happy to be wrong on this but I don't think this is a setup that the hardware or software was built to implement.

Yeah I've been involved with this thread pretty much since I got my Y500 LOL.

I'm pretty sure what you're asking is not possible. I have not found a way to do it. My speculation is that the framebuffer and display output are on the main GPU and it is always going to be the master GPU. The Ultrabay is the slave and always sends its work to the master GPU first before it's sent to the display.

I have actually found that the main GPU runs cooler than the Ultrabay in most instances. Its fan is just bigger and more powerful than the Ultrabay one even though it needs to cool both the CPU and GPU. In a primarily GPU-heavy game like Metro 2033 my Ultrabay runs almost 10C hotter but in a game that is both CPU- and GPU-heavy like BF3 the two GPU's are the same temperature.

1 last question.. can I remove the god forsaken gpu limiter when running in battery? i want at least be able to play games at low settings on battery.. the gpu limiter essentially makes this laptop a portable desktop

(-_-")

- - - Updated - - -

if anyone survived switching the socketed cpu then i will be buying a i7 xteme edition cpu for this laptop and a medal for that brave lad XD

1 last question.. can I remove the god forsaken gpu limiter when running in battery? i want at least be able to play games at low settings on battery.. the gpu limiter essentially makes this laptop a portable desktop

(-_-")

- - - Updated - - -

if anyone survived switching the socketed cpu then i will be buying a i7 xteme edition cpu for this laptop and a medal for that brave lad XD

It is impossible to play on battery at full GPU power.

Not sure if anyone has found this, but i found some of lenovos api's for fan speed and things like keyboards under Program Files (x86) > Lenovo > Power Mangement > Lenovo.EnergyMangement.dll, LenovoEMExpandedAPI.dll, LenovoSDKEmSubSystem.dll

I opened it with VS Express, but i assume other programs would also work.

Hopefully this helps some of you! :)

Screenshot of some options:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8862[/ATTACH]

Good find would like to know if its possible to boost fan speed. Has any1 messed with it any Results?

(-_-")

- - - Updated - - -

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi SVL7,

When I boot into dos and run this command: fpt -f biosfix.rom -bios

I get the following error: [ATTACH=CONFIG]6759[/ATTACH]

The rest of the steps for backing up the bios works great. I only have the problem when I try to flash after booting into dos.

Any suggestion?

Hello svl 7,

I currently have y400 bought earlier this year, I am following your steps to upgrade my bios to 2.02, ultimately to mod it for my new n6235. however I'm getting stuck in the first step... when I try to execute InsydeFlash, I get DC detect error! and the programs turns off after 2 seconds. what might be the cause for this? how can I fix it?

Thank you