Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Hi SVL7,

When I boot into dos and run this command: fpt -f biosfix.rom -bios

I get the following error: post-11589-14494994881818_thumb.jpg

The rest of the steps for backing up the bios works great. I only have the problem when I try to flash after booting into dos.

Any suggestion?

If you guys want me to mod v2.00 then I need a copy of it... Should be pretty obvious, especially since Lenovo doesn't seem to provide bios updates.

How do I obtain a copy of my BIOS to send it to you? I am on v2.02 and would like to get it modded. I am not inexperienced with computers but have never extracted a BIOS before.

Also, do these BIOS mods unlock the +135 MHz overclocking limit on this machine's GT 650M or no? Back when I modded my Y500 BIOS v1.05 I looked everywhere in the BIOS menu but couldn't find an option for this.

I don't understand why Lenovo keeps releasing these BIOS updates without release notes or putting them on their downloads website. So far I have already seen 1.03, 1.04, 1.05, 1.07, 2.00, and 2.02. Don't even know if they have improved anything with these constant updates but it just creates headaches for those of us trying to mod.

Hi SVL7,

When I boot into dos and run this command: fpt -f biosfix.rom -bios

I get the following error: [ATTACH=CONFIG]6759[/ATTACH]

The rest of the steps for backing up the bios works great. I only have the problem when I try to flash after booting into dos.

Any suggestion?

Did you follow the instructions in the first post step by step? Used the corresponding files for the DOS bootable drive? It seems to work for all others, so I assume the issue must lie somewhere there...

How do I obtain a copy of my BIOS to send it to you? I am on v2.02 and would like to get it modded. I am not inexperienced with computers but have never extracted a BIOS before.

Also, do these BIOS mods unlock the +135 MHz overclocking limit on this machine's GT 650M or no? Back when I modded my Y500 BIOS v1.05 I looked everywhere in the BIOS menu but couldn't find an option for this.

I don't understand why Lenovo keeps releasing these BIOS updates without release notes or putting them on their downloads website. So far I have already seen 1.03, 1.04, 1.05, 1.07, 2.00, and 2.02. Don't even know if they have improved anything with these constant updates but it just creates headaches for those of us trying to mod.

Dump the bios with this tool, there should be a backup.bat or so included.

The GPU stuff is part of the vbios, you won't notice it in the bios, but as soon as you use an overclocking utility such as nvidia inspector you'll notice the change.

Hello! Im a newbie the bios unlock. How can I get Windows 8 from DOS bootable USB drive? What the program name? ty

DOS is an operating system, you boot from DOS, nothing with Win8. Follow the instructions in the first post, it's all there.

If you can help me unlock my bios I will pay you. I just got my y500 this week, I have version 2.0 bios. Thanks Henry

Yes, might take until the end of the week, I'm not at home and I don't think I have all the necessary stuff the system I have currently with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dump the bios with this tool, there should be a backup.bat or so included.

The GPU stuff is part of the vbios, you won't notice it in the bios, but as soon as you use an overclocking utility such as nvidia inspector you'll notice the change.

Doh! I knew that, especially since I already performed the flash before. Thanks for the pointer svl7.

So you're saying that the +135 limit has already been unlocked since the vBIOS is part of the BIOS on this machine? So I can use Afterburner to bypass the limit instead of using Inspector to force P-states using .bat files?

So you're saying that the +135 limit has already been unlocked since the vBIOS is part of the BIOS on this machine? So I can use Afterburner to bypass the limit instead of using Inspector to force P-states using .bat files?

Yes, exactly.

Well, actually I can't really remember whether I included the vbios mod in the mods I posted... let me know. If not tell me your vbios version.

Yes, exactly.

Well, actually I can't really remember whether I included the vbios mod in the mods I posted... let me know. If not tell me your vbios version.

No you didn't post a vBIOS mod for the GT 650M in the Kepler vBIOS mods thread. The vBIOS version is 80.07.27.00.33.

post-10698-14494994882011_thumb.png

I tried using GPU-Z to save the vBIOS to a file but it kept returning this error.

post-10698-14494994882221_thumb.png

EDIT: Disregard my question about the error. I just realized that since I have a laptop the vBIOS is part of the BIOS and can't be extracted this way.

Did you follow the instructions in the first post step by step? Used the corresponding files for the DOS bootable drive? It seems to work for all others, so I assume the issue must lie somewhere there...

I wiped my thumb drive and re-downloaded all of the files again.

I rebuilt my thumb drive with the bootable files.

I extracted all of the files into the root directory to my thumb drive from FPT_DOS.zip, prr.zip, Y500BiosFix.zip, and the Lenovo_Y500_BIOS_v.1.05.Mod.zip

I booted into dos from my thumb drive.

I ran backup.bat, then backed up my original bios to "original.bin"

Then I pointed to 13Y500.rom for the modified file.

This created the 13Y500Fix.rom and then renamed it to fixed.rom (so it is 8 characters or less)

I ran pff.exe - everything is okay so far.

I ran fpt.exe -f fixed.rom -bios

and I got the previous error again.

Notes from fpt -i

====================

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464

Copyright © 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel® HM76 Express Chipset

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

W25Q32BV ID:0xEF4016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

W25Q16BV ID:0xEF4015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

--- Flash Image Information --

Signature: VALID

Number of Flash Components: 2

Component 1 - 4096KB (32768Kb)

Component 2 - 2048KB (16384Kb)

Regions:

Descriptor - Base: 0x000000, Limit: 0x000FFF

BIOS - Base: 0x180000, Limit: 0x5FFFFF

ME - Base: 0x001000, Limit: 0x17FFFF

GbE - Not present

PDR - Not present

Master Region Access:

CPU/BIOS - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0B, Write: 0x0A

ME - ID: 0x0000, Read: 0x0D, Write: 0x0C

GbE - ID: 0x0118, Read: 0x08, Write: 0x08

Total Accessable SPI Memory: 6144KB, Total Installed SPI Memory : 6144KB

FPT Operation Passed

===========================

If I run the fptw64 through windows, I get the famous error 28.

If you have a way to fix this, I'll buy you more than coffee. :64:

• Thumbs Up 2

FYI I am able to overclock my sli gt650's by forcing nvidia inspector (.bat script) to 980 MHz on the 310.9 stock bios but when I install the new 314.22 it maxes out at 924 MHz. Is this usual behavior on the y500? Note I have not flashed to the custom vbios discussed in this thread but I too look forward to seeing a 2.0 custom version. I am afraid to flash it to the 1.5 version if that is even possible. Bioshock Infinite does run smoother on Ultra setting (1920x1080)and with out micro-stutters on 314.22 30-60 fps.

• Thumbs Up 1

FYI I am able to overclock my sli gt650's by forcing nvidia inspector (.bat script) to 980 MHz on the 310.9 stock bios but when I install the new 314.22 it maxes out at 924 MHz. Is this usual behavior on the y500? Note I have not flashed to the custom vbios discussed in this thread but I too look forward to seeing a 2.0 custom version. I am afraid to flash it to the 1.5 version if that is even possible. Bioshock Infinite does run smoother on Ultra setting (1920x1080)and with out micro-stutters on 314.22 30-60 fps.

Anything past 310.90 will cause you to hit the +135 MHz artificial limit on the core when you use Nvidia Inspector and the .bat files to overclock.

What I am really waiting for is a BIOS/vBIOS unlock that will remove the artificial OC limit once and for all so that I can use MSI Afterburner and the latest drivers to overclock to the max. I have already sent svl7 my BIOS v2.02 and vBIOS version and hope that he will be able to mod an unlocked overclocking BIOS.

Not that I would recommend you flash using the 1.05 mod but I have a hunch that nothing has changed since then. I previously had a Y500 on 1.05 BIOS that I returned and the GUI and settings are all identical to my current Y500 on 2.02 BIOS.

Any chance you could share your BAT files for 314.22?

I've not had any luck with Nvidia Inspector, still limited to 790mhz

I am so confused after reading and re-reading these threads. Is the modified bios necessary to do the overclocks on the gpu? I only really need to overclock it to around 900mhz so the artificial limit isn't a big deal to me.

Also, can I be using 314.22 or do I need to revert down?

Any chance you could share your BAT files for 314.22?

I've not had any luck with Nvidia Inspector, still limited to 790mhz

I wish I could find the page for you but here is what I used.

use this script in notepad and save to desktop as .bat file. One to force overclock and one to reset.

force script:

@echo off

c:

cd\

cd "nvidiaInspector\"

nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,2,980 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2300 -forcepstate:0,0

nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:1,2,980 -setMemoryClock:1,2,2300 -forcepstate:1,0

||-forcepstate:0,5

||-forcepstate:1,5

reset script:

@echo off

c:

cd\

cd "nvidiaInspector\"

nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,2,790 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2000 -forcepstate:0,16

nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:1,2,790 -setMemoryClock:1,2,2000 -forcepstate:1,16

-Note you must have your nvidia inspector in the matching path folder or change the path within the scripts to match the location of the inspector application on your PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything past 310.90 will cause you to hit the +135 MHz artificial limit on the core when you use Nvidia Inspector and the .bat files to overclock.

What I am really waiting for is a BIOS/vBIOS unlock that will remove the artificial OC limit once and for all so that I can use MSI Afterburner and the latest drivers to overclock to the max. I have already sent svl7 my BIOS v2.02 and vBIOS version and hope that he will be able to mod an unlocked overclocking BIOS.

Not that I would recommend you flash using the 1.05 mod but I have a hunch that nothing has changed since then. I previously had a Y500 on 1.05 BIOS that I returned and the GUI and settings are all identical to my current Y500 on 2.02 BIOS.

You think this bios update will unlock overclocking past +135 with this modded vbios? I am getting some conflicting opinions on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

You think this bios update will unlock overclocking past +135 with this modded vbios? I am getting some conflicting opinions on this.

I haven't read about anybody in the Kepler vBIOS mods thread with this problem and they're all using svl7's mods. We won't know whether it is a problem for this machine until a modded BIOS for GT 650M that unlocks the overclocking limit is released but I'm pretty certain it is a problem with Nvidia Inspector when using the newer drivers.

If you have a way to fix this, I'll buy you more than coffee. :64:

I'll see what I can do when I'm back at my main system, about at Friday... let me know in case I forget.

• Thumbs Up 1