EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
svl7

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

Are there any significant changes in 2.04 bios?

No, only some small adjustments in the driver environment at boot and some DSDT changes.

No, only some small adjustments in the driver environment at boot and some DSDT changes.

Which in layman's terms means...?

LOL.

I'm too lazy to disassemble the AML just to check, I guess some power related features, or might be a tweak for the 750m, no idea... could be tons of stuff.

Hey Svl7 have you looked into the vbios update for the 750m? Tried using -4 -5 -6 on nvflash still get the same error.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Oh my god, I am also affected by the i7 throttling in games. God I wish I stayed with the i5.

If I force throttlestop my temps skyrocket in prime95 to 100C.

i'm too lazy to disassemble the aml just to check, i guess some power related features, or might be a tweak for the 750m, no idea... Could be tons of stuff.

i would love to know the changes

Oh my god, I am also affected by the i7 throttling in games. God I wish I stayed with the i5.

If I force throttlestop my temps skyrocket in prime95 to 100C.

How would the i7 be throttling if you're using ThrottleStop? It's supposed to reach 105C and then instantly shut down. Did you do a bad paste job when you mounted the new CPU? What TIM did you use? Maybe loose heatsink?

Prime95 will obviously heat up the CPU much more than any game ever will. How hot does it get in actual games?

I repasted my 3630QM not too long ago and from the sound of it it's running cooler than your 3632QM, which is rather strange. If I'm just running Prime95 by itself the CPU settles between 90-95C. It only goes above 100C if FurMark/OCCT is also running at the same time. It reaches 75-80C in 3DMark 11 and 80-85C in BF3 (most CPU-intensive game on the market). This is on a cooling pad with 27-30C ambient temperature (yes my room is hot). ThrottleStop is turned on for everything.

I have a hard time believing you regret moving from the i5 to the i7, unless you don't do content work or play demanding games, because the i7 is literally twice as fast. Seeing as you have SLI the i7 will increase GPU usage tremendously in something like BF3.

SOB. I can't get ANYTHING windows related to boot up for some reason. Not Windows 7, not Windows 8, neither recovery options, nor the windows 7 cd. Across the board epic failure right now. The only thing I can get running is Ubuntu, which I had set up already (thank God). I'm wondering if it has to do with the BIOS, as it seems to be giving me similar BSOD errors.

SVL7, could you possibly pm me on how I'd go about flashing back to an earlier BIOS version from Linux/Ubuntu? I would greatly appreciate it!

SOB. I can't get ANYTHING windows related to boot up for some reason. Not Windows 7, not Windows 8, neither recovery options, nor the windows 7 cd. Across the board epic failure right now. The only thing I can get running is Ubuntu, which I had set up already (thank God). I'm wondering if it has to do with the BIOS, as it seems to be giving me similar BSOD errors.

SVL7, could you possibly pm me on how I'd go about flashing back to an earlier BIOS version from Linux/Ubuntu? I would greatly appreciate it!

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. Can you at least POST and enter BIOS? You could flash the backup of your original BIOS from a USB stick by following the steps in the OP on a working PC.

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. Can you at least POST and enter BIOS? You could flash the backup of your original BIOS from a USB stick by following the steps in the OP on a working PC.

Thanks oct. I was able to use Ubuntu to copy over the original bios backup, and just flashed that . The flash worked, but Win dows still doesn't, lol. I forgot I had dismantled W8 somewhat, so it shouldnt work either way. But my W7 home edition gives me a BSOD when i try to boot it up. The W7 I was using worked just fine earlier today, and I made no changes since then. For some reason the OS just took a massive dump :/. looks like ill have to reinstall, since I can't even do safe mode. Sigh.

Thanks oct. I was able to use Ubuntu to copy over the original bios backup, and just flashed that . The flash worked, but Win dows still doesn't, lol. I forgot I had dismantled W8 somewhat, so it shouldnt work either way. But my W7 home edition gives me a BSOD when i try to boot it up. The W7 I was using worked just fine earlier today, and I made no changes since then. For some reason the OS just took a massive dump :/. looks like ill have to reinstall, since I can't even do safe mode. Sigh.

If you have the BSOD dump files, I highly suggest you post them here so the experts can diagnose the problem for you:

BSOD Help and Support - Windows 7 Help Forums

BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 8 Forums

Thy have been invaluable to me in the past.

Also, when you reinstall Windows, I suggest going with the Nvidia 314.22 WHQL driver unless you have specific reasons to use something in the 320.XX branch. Based on my own experiences and the general reactions over the Internet, it's been one of the most problematic branches in recent memory. Hopefully, the next branch is a lot more stable and will also see the long-anticipated release of ShadowPlay, but for now I'm staying with 314.22.

Is the Error 104 fix mandatory to use or will the initial 2.04 and SLI updates suffice?

i am now on svl7 modded 2.02 bios. do i need to flash back to original inorder to flash updated 2.04 modded version?

and can i know is there any voltage difference between 650m and 750m on modded bios or they same?

Hi,

No, you don'y need to go back to stock v2.02.

When you changed over to the modded v2.02, you created a backup of your stock v2.02.

This file can be used to create you personal v2.04 modded BIOS.

This worked fine for me.

Greetings,

Auke

i am now on svl7 modded 2.02 bios. do i need to flash back to original inorder to flash updated 2.04 modded version?

and can i know is there any voltage difference between 650m and 750m on modded bios or they same?

Hey Svl7 have you looked into the vbios update for the 750m? Tried using -4 -5 -6 on nvflash still get the same error.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

I am experiencing the same error. Bios v2.04, 750m SLI.

Anyone tried the 802.11ac/a/b/g/n wifi cards on Y500?

I am about to pull the trigger on Intel 7260 wifi card HMC (PROVANTAGE: Intel 7260.HMWG Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 2X2 AC+BT HMC)

It is the correct model and it can replace the stock 2230- card and it has BT 4.0 too.

The only problem might be the antenna, will it be able to tackle the 5Ghz channels?

Or will i have to buy new antennae too?

I am experiencing the same error. Bios v2.04, 750m SLI.

Not sure what's going on, because what nvflash tells is not true. I'll check again to make double sure.

Not sure what's going on, because what nvflash tells is not true. I'll check again to make double sure.

I have tried latest DOS and Win versions of nvflash and result is the same. I appreciate your hard work. Thumbs up!

Hello

I was wondering if this broadcom BCM943228HMB WIFI Wireless N BT Bluetooth 4.0 Half MINI Card would be compatible with the Y500 once it's flashed?

Thank you

All Wifi Cards should work, as long as its mini PCIE and psychically fits in your computer, I do not see why it would not.

Thank you Chad. I originaly have chosen that one because it was on the Lenovo compatible list. I guess the point is moot if the bios is flashed. The ebay seller confirmed that the bios need to be flashed but I will wait until I receive the card. If it works with no flashing, even better. :)

All Wifi Cards should work, as long as its mini PCIE and psychically fits in your computer, I do not see why it would not.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated worked with ez but its showing 2.04 for bios verison and the ec verison showing 2.02 is thats normal right? Thanks again

Hey vito357si I am also Having this problem If you came up with a solution that I missed please let me know

I am attempting to do this process. I made sure to search high and low through this thread before posting. I am stuck drag and dropping my .Bin over to the BiosFixer2.0.exe. It simply just doesn't do it. i have tried checking the compatiblity settings and launched it every way possible, from Xp sp2 to Windows 7. Also made sure to run as administrator. It still just gives the no-sign when attempting to drag the .bin over to it.

Could I get some advice? Any help would be great. Thank you!

You might need to install the latest .Net framework components.

I am unsure as to why this may be, but I tried for the millionth time and it successfully made the mod file. Very strange. I have successfully flashed the BIOS to v2.04! I'm excited. The only thing now is 5Ghz dual band. I still cannot see my 5Ghz Wireless connection. I only see 2.4Ghz.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply, by the way, svl7.