EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
svl7

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

anybody have a good recommendation of a WLAN card with bluetooth card to use in a Y500 after removing the whitelist? I'm hoping for a 450Mmbps.

thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that requires 3 antennae doesn't it? To do that you'd need to find a place to run a third antenna wire. Intel 5300 cards are 450mbps, but from photos they look to be a triple antenna model.

Here's an example photo:

Intel 450Mbps WiFi Link 5300 agn MIMO An HMW Mini PCI E Half Size WLAN Card | eBay

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I just wanted to chime in here and say "thank you" to everyone who made this thread what it is -- especially svl7! Everything worked nearly flawlessly (I ran into a hiccup trying to install Windows 7, in that the OS simply would not boot, no matter what I tried), but I'm now all configured and rolling smoothly on a fresh Windows 8 install! I played Skyrim with HD textures and a bunch of mods, and stock, I noticed a slight bit of lag every now and again; however, overclocking the GPUs made all the difference! For the cost and everything, you simply can't beat this setup (I have the 650M SLI model, BTW). I upgraded mine with 16GB RAM and a 240GB mSATA SSD as well, so it's definitely running smooth as silk. =)

I paid the $5 to have access to the files herein, and on top of that, though it's not much, I just donated $10 to svl7 for making this all happen.

Thanks again, everyone! I'll be keeping my eyes on the thread and contributing wherever I feel I may be able to. Oh, and one thing of note is that my BIOS for this system (Y500 with 650M SLI and 8GB RAM), which I purchased on Newegg about a week ago, was version 2.00. Like a dummy, I was too hasty and flashed over it, so I don't have a copy of it. Either way, I thought it might be worth a mention!

Well, I just wanted to chime in here and say "thank you" to everyone who made this thread what it is -- especially svl7! Everything worked nearly flawlessly (I ran into a hiccup trying to install Windows 7, in that the OS simply would not boot, no matter what I tried)

If you are still interested in installing Windows 7. It could be due to the fact that your booting in UEFI and not legacy mode. I couldn't get Windows 7 to boot from a USB disk until I did that.

Thank you Svl7. The instructions were easy to follow and made the flashing process easy.

If you are still interested in installing Windows 7. It could be due to the fact that your booting in UEFI and not legacy mode. I couldn't get Windows 7 to boot from a USB disk until I did that.

I've tried UEFI win7 and it DOES NOT work. Legacy works fine as you'd expect, but UEFI just won't work. The furthest I got was installing OS, booting into Safe, but locking at CLASSPNP.sys. I'm guessing there's some incompatibility, but what do I know...?

your HDD must be formatted to a GPT partition, I had this problem as well. After thats done you can install Windows and uefi will work immediately.

Can Some1 link me to the right bios for the 750m ultrabay, i am only see the 650m thanks..

Am not an expert with laptop oveclocking, but as I used to work with phones SOC on XDA, we used to downclock the cpu and the gpu to increase the battery life, although the phone one can be done on the fly from within the system and according to battery levels, so my question can we do this over in this laptop, especially after lenovo ruined the intel 4000 dreams maybe we can use the 650gt at very low, still stable, voltages to be able save battery when not gaming for example (can't try not enough posts to download) so if someone could try or maybe provide personal experience

I asked this a bit ago but after some searching I don't think it was ever answered. Does the modified BIOS have a setting for turning on and off the charger?

Am not an expert with laptop oveclocking, but as I used to work with phones SOC on XDA, we used to downclock the cpu and the gpu to increase the battery life, although the phone one can be done on the fly from within the system and according to battery levels, so my question can we do this over in this laptop, especially after lenovo ruined the intel 4000 dreams maybe we can use the 650gt at very low, still stable, voltages to be able save battery when not gaming for example (can't try not enough posts to download) so if someone could try or maybe provide personal experience

It's doable yes. If you know Windows.

You create the necessary power schemes.

Next up.

Know where the power schemes are stored in registry and know how to use the command line to change power schemes.

Next find a way to read the battery levels.

It's all you need. Plain simple. ;)

To help you:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE// services ? // CurrentControlSet // Power

I think that's where u find it. Not sure.

There are keys to turn off and on hyperthreading, control turbo boost, control upthreshold and downtreshold and so on.

dont waste your time on it. :bananahuge:

Great, working on it right now

found something in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/VIDEO

maybe this is for the video card, am not sure will keep searching and will try different combinations, and want to ask since seems that the macbook retina is very similar to the lenovo y500, so may iatkos work on this (provide a link to thread if available I know am in wrong thread) Just for the sack of experimenting I am not that much into hackintosh but would like to have it on this machine

Hi

I mod my bios (Y500 GT650m sli) all went smoothly but my first GT650m can only overlock +135Mhz. The second Card is unlock!

I hope u can help me

Thanks

My machine has bios v.2.03, is it safe to flash it to 2.02? Or is there some other steps I need to do? Thanks

Will it be a problem if I have the bios normally associated with ELAN touchpads but have a Synaptics? I got the touchpad replaced, but they didn't replace the bios.

The only way to get everything working is to update bios? Isn't that too dagerous? :D

Can I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8 after bios upgrade?

Thanks for the answers. ;)

The only way to get everything working is to update bios? Isn't that too dagerous? :D

Can I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8 after bios upgrade?

Thanks for the answers. ;)

The BIOS mod doesn't disable anything else other than the whitelist - it should be noted, though, that it'll purge all your settings. You might have to fiddle again with the knobs for EFI.

@caweek I do not think that the touchpad is affected by the BIOS, well you don't even use it until the windows kernel loads and loads either the windows driver or the associated driver, am pretty sure it wouldn't matter and the biggest proof they didn't even change the bios and it works (assuming they meant it of course)

hi. I try to flash the bios but I do not.

I did that :

1. download the modified 2.02 bios
  2. made a backup of my bios with "Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0"
  3. fixed the bios with the y500fix tool.
  4. I put on the usb stick the fixed bios , the prr tool and the fpt.exe with the text file (was located in "dos version")
  5. I restarted on USB and try to flash with this command line : fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios
  6. AND... Have error 28 : the bios is protected from flashing, contact your manufacturer. or something like that

An idea?

In the tuto the files where in bin extensions. my bios is in rom..

Where is the modified v2.02 BIOS?

I can see the v1.03, and v1.05, but there doesn't seem to be a v2.02 on the first post.

can this mod activate Optimus?

No. Optimus is hard-disabled for the feature use of SLI in the Ultrabay.