Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I got 2900++ with Firestrike, but that wasn't optimum. Somehow the GPU wasn't boosting to max clock, probably due to heat issues. The CPU is dumping too much heat.

Meanwhile I re-ran Uningine and 3DMark11, and broke my record again. This time I set the Long Duration Power Limit to only 36W in the BIOS. I have a +220 MHz clock offset and +425MHz memory clock offset.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P5396 3DMarks

WOW great score But how is the fps boost in a normal game?

WOW great score But how is the fps boost in a normal game?

It overheats and crashes if I don't apply Vsync. Lenovo should have used 2 heatpipes for each components, given the fact that these are only half inch thick heatsink.

It overheats and crashes if I don't apply Vsync. Lenovo should have used 2 heatpipes for each components, given the fact that these are only half inch thick heatsink.

You should probably ease back a bit on the overclock. They increased the thermal requirements of the new Y400/Y500 but didn't make the cooling system any better.

Temps on my GPU is slightly lower than yours, since I have redone the thermal paste. On the other hand, temp on the CPU reach 100C sometimes. I didn't get a good bin. I will prob change it to a 3840QM. Next week I will be modding an extra heatpipe for the CPU in there.

Would love to see pics of your heatpipe mod when you get to it. I'm trying to get ahold of a keyboard to mod... when I do, I plan to add some copper heatsinks / shims, and repaste... do it all at once.

Temps on my GPU is slightly lower than yours, since I have redone the thermal paste. On the other hand, temp on the CPU reach 100C sometimes. I didn't get a good bin. I will prob change it to a 3840QM. Next week I will be modding an extra heatpipe for the CPU in there.

How you going to mod the heatpipe there is no room for anything? I was trying to adding extra copper heatsinks but no go .

Hi guys, just joined up and am looking into buying a refurbished y500. Does this unlocked BIOS just allow for GPU overclocking (I assume MSI Afterburner doesn't work out of the box). Or does it allow for CPU overclocking? Or is CPU OC'ing even needed with an i7? Sorry I'm kinda a noob with intel. I've used AMD for a while now. Thanks

So going from stock 2.02 to 1.05 mod is safe ('cause there is no 2.02 mod)?

No don't do that it would be bad. The 2.02 mod was temporarily taken down from the OP as svl7 is working out the kinks but the latest build is a few pages back.

No don't do that it would be bad. The 2.02 mod was temporarily taken down from the OP as svl7 is working out the kinks but the latest build is a few pages back.

Ok, so is the one a few pages back safe to flash over stock 2.02 or should I just go to modded 1.05? Just ordered my Y500 and want to do my HW 1st

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I'll be getting the Y500 with one 650m

Ok, so is the one a few pages back safe to flash over stock 2.02 or should I just go to modded 1.05? Just ordered my Y500 and want to do my HW 1st

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I'll be getting the Y500 with one 650m

I repeat don't flash a different version. Use the 2.02 mod if you have 2.02.

You should probably ease back a bit on the overclock. They increased the thermal requirements of the new Y400/Y500 but didn't make the cooling system any better.

This Y500 could have been great, laughing in the face of Sager, MSI and Alienware, unfortunately it's close but not there. They should have used dual heatpipes for everything. There's clearly space for more heatpipes. The layout is not as optimized as it could have been.

By the way, I figured out the way to keep the temp slightly lower on the GPU. I adjusted the temp target to be 88C instead of 97C, which was the default settings. If I apply Vsync on games (I changed my refresh rate to 75Hz), then it won't overheat.

Would love to see pics of your heatpipe mod when you get to it. I'm trying to get ahold of a keyboard to mod... when I do, I plan to add some copper heatsinks / shims, and repaste... do it all at once.
How you going to mod the heatpipe there is no room for anything? I was trying to adding extra copper heatsinks but no go .

Heatpipe might or might not fit. From the looks of things I am confident I could fit another flat heatpipe on top of the CPU heatpipe. If not, I can definitely fit another flat heatsink above the CPU plate. I also have 2 more tiny copper heatsinks to put in, I put in 6 last time I opened the Y500 up.

So, this should fix the 650m issues and also includes the 750m stuff. I'll put it on the first page when a 650m user can confirm that all is fine.

EDIT: Check first post for files.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi, please could you help me a moment, im in the middle of TRYING to flash the modified bios (y500) and have run the prr tool with no probs, but am getting bad command names when trying to run the ftp.exe.

I have v little experience of using dos (more of terminal in linux) and cannnot seem to make it run :(

What im confused with, is the extension i have of the modified bios file is a .rom and in your instructions it says .bin i have tried every thing i can think of but keep getting '' bad command or filename''

Am i missing something obvious? in your instructions you give the command '' ftp.exe -f filename.bin -bios '' are the spaces crucial? and the file i have is a .rom and not a .bin and is the ''-f'' part of the instruction a reference to the flash drive location or some other command? bit confused here lol and any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers, K :)

ftp.exe -f v202fix.rom -bios

Thankyou, but am still currently stuck at dos startup and have run the prr util. and have the '' Ready to flash the BIOS '' on screen, yet when i type the '' ftp.exe -f v202fix.rom -bios '' command i am still getting '' Bad command or file name ''

Any ideas what else i can try?

Well it occurred to me that maybe i needed to check the fpt.exe admin rights in properties!! checked the box, rebooted and lo! it worked :)

Is it advisable to reflash with your ^^^^^ latest bios fix above ?

Many Thanks!

So, this should fix the 650m issues and also includes the 750m stuff. I'll put it on the first page when a 650m user can confirm that all is fine.

what issues does this fix exactly? i've flashed to the old modded 2.02 but havent noticed any problems.

I can't say for sure whether it will work, the board ID is different, which can cause issues. Chip is the same, true... well, I can't guarantee success, if anyone want's to try it let me know.

getting the error whilst trying to flash the SLI:

EEPROM erase failed

ERROR: software write protection enabled, unable to erase EEPROM

Any idea? is this software write protection in the NVIDEA driver software do you think? ive already flashed the machine's BIOS with your latest file

Thanks a bunch svl7. I'm gonna flash these newer versions today or tomorrow and will report back if it fixes the clock reporting bug. Is that the only change in this revision for 650M owners?

I can't say for sure whether it will work, the board ID is different, which can cause issues. Chip is the same, true... well, I can't guarantee success, if anyone want's to try it let me know.

I might be willing to give it a try. If the BIOS for the 750m aren't compatible, then the flash will most likely fail during setup, right? I should still be able to flash the correct version if that happens...

Only thing is, the 750m voltage is definitely higher than it needs to be, even for overclocking. Maybe it'd be possible to force an overclock on a lower p-state, with a lower voltage than the boost state.

I might be willing to give it a try. If the BIOS for the 750m aren't compatible, then the flash will most likely fail during setup, right? I should still be able to flash the correct version if that happens...

/QUOTE]

svl7, to your knowledge, what risk is there in flashing the 750m bios to the 650m? Will the system refuse to use the card due to the whitelist like with what we've seen with people attempting to use the 750m in a 650m system? I too might be willing to give this a shot.