Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Some people says gt750m ddr3 is faster than gt 750m gddr5 version. Is that true?

In most sites tests performed on ddr3 version instead of gddr5.

I think We have to wait to see how much real potential difference between past 650M. And present 750M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Of course not. GDDR5 has twice the memory bandwidth of GDDR3 at the same clock speed.

Not yet. Also your system might come with a newer BIOS, so once you get your system please let me know and I'll instruct you about getting a complete dump.

Then I can look into the 750m overclocking.

Alright, I'll let you know when I get it! :)

Yes i know it too that gddr5 has twice the bandwidth of ddr3 version...what i read is in this case(gt750m) is reverse...

Ddr3 is some what faster than gddr5

But regarding 650m its normal gddr5 is in lead

Of course not. GDDR5 has twice the memory bandwidth of GDDR3 at the same clock speed.

And onemore help octiceps .Can u post me ur sli 3dmark results...

And how much did u overclocked your core and memory?

I literally just got my hands on my own Y400 (non-sli) with GT750. It's DDR5. I'd be interested in in finding out if this whitelist and unlocking works on this model? Please let me know what you would need me to do?

Thanks.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7150[/ATTACH]

Inspector already says "modified"... weird. Maybe a bug?

Which BIOS version is on your system?

Yay, finally more than 5 posts. Now, I can download Svl7 bios mods!!

By the way, how many % increase after perform overclocking than stock clock? I'm curious... :3

Depends on your clocking frequency..

I haven't had real time to sit down tweak and play with my Y400 yet (working long hours and even at work right now as I speak)

I have only made one modification to my laptop. I replaced stock memory with Kingsont Hyperx 2133 ddr3 sticks (still 8gb) so I don't know how much that will skew my results. I've made no software modifications or driver updates.

This is stock clock speeds

P2932

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P2932 3DMarks

This is with 135mhz + to gpu clock and no change to the 2500mhz dd5 speed

P3227

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P3227 3DMarks

If I got newer drivers on there, tweaked the memory speed and I'm sure I could bring these numbers up some more.

svl7, do you know if this unlock bios and whitelist mode will work for my version of the Y400?

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't had real time to sit down tweak and play with my Y400 yet (working long hours and even at work right now as I speak)

I have only made one modification to my laptop. I replaced stock memory with Kingsont Hyperx 2133 ddr3 sticks (still 8gb) so I don't know how much that will skew my results. I've made no software modifications or driver updates.

This is stock clock speeds

P2932

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P2932 3DMarks

This is with 135mhz + to gpu clock and no change to the 2500mhz dd5 speed

P3227

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P3227 3DMarks

If I got newer drivers on there, tweaked the memory speed and I'm sure I could bring these numbers up some more.

svl7, do you know if this unlock bios and whitelist mode will work for my version of the Y400?

That 750M is plenty fast. Us 650M owners are seeing similar results at our highest overclocks. Just wondering, is adding 135 MHz to the core 100% stable in games as well, or just in 3DMark 11?

If the uber RAM is helping it's not showing in the 3DMark score. Your Physics score should be 7600 but it's probably because you're not using ThrottleStop.

Have you checked that the machine is actually running those sticks at 2133 MHz? I wonder if it's plug-and-play and if you had to change some BIOS settings or overclock anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey @svl7 just wanted to give another big THANK YOU for your continued support of this machine and I think I'm not alone in expressing my appreciation for your fine work. :)

It seems you have been busy with other stuff lately and not as active in this thread, so I'm wondering what is in the works or planned for this machine. I know that people are starting to receive their Y400/Y500 with the refreshed GPU so that will probably get modded for whitelist removal and unlocked OC limit. Also, there were requests for a volt mod and I have been asking about a fix for the incorrect reporting of the GPU core clock.

If you could possibly update us on how things are going that would be great. Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 2

What exactly was the issue with the clocks?

After flashing the modded BIOs and vBIOS, the default core clock changed from 790 MHz to 835 MHz even though it did not actually increase. So now the number is always reported as 45 MHz higher than what it actually is. For instance, if I overclocked my core by 100 MHz to 890 MHz, GPU-Z and Nvidia Inspector will say 935 (890+45) instead. Anything that reads the core clock from the sensor, however, is still correct. This bug is present on both the internal and Ultrabay GPU.

Before:

post-10698-14494995078293_thumb.png

After:

post-10698-14494995078707_thumb.png

However, the sensor readings are still correct:

post-10698-14494995078905_thumb.png

post-10698-14494995078505_thumb.png

Hello everyone. Just signed up :) Just bought a Y500 and tried to overclock the 650's about 10 minutes later. But much to my dismay...yeah. So...I tried following the guide in the OP but I can't download any attachments yet.

So in the meantime...just wanted to ask...that flash to BIOS v2.02...that's the laptop's BIOS being updated? And it flashed the first 650 to an unlocked BIOS along with it, and then you use nvflash to do the Ultrabay one afterwards? I've used nvflash on my desktop a bunch of times. Just wondering how this process differs, since it seems the guide says to only use nvflash for the second 650 and not the first, if I'm reading it correctly that is (sorry, really tired, and a bit frustrated that Lenovo decided to lock this thing down so much).

Thanks for everything you've done svl7, and to anyone else too who can offer me any details on these questions.

octiceps

Updated with nvidia 320 beta drivers and got a 49 to 60 point bump. The 60 point bump made not changes to config except I did noticed phsyx score was 7400 something... so with out bios mod you at the whim of turbo core working in your favor

P3276

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P3276 3DMarks

P3287

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID score: P3287 3DMarks

Played with voltage and memory a little and playing with both did nothing to my 3d mark score.

Also upping memory above 100 or more started to cause artifacting and adding a slight bump to voltage didn't help. (in both cases at the first signs of green lines or dots I stopped bench marking)

As far as memory is concerned on my desktop going from 1333 to 2133 raised 3d mark by 20 points consistently so it doesn't really show much of anything in that bench mark. But it in the case of my desktop did shave off like 1 min in encoding large files and some barely perceived (if at all) responsiveness increases so in general it is only a minor to no perf bump for gaming (at least as I've observed). If I was using an APU or Intel's integrated gpu or a video card with sub 500mb of ram and it it utilized buffering to system ram more I would probably see more of noticeable difference but that has never been the case for me.

Memory does appear to be clocked at what it says it is all over as far as I can tell

3Dmark11 says is @1000mhz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7189[/ATTACH]

cpuz is jumping between these two numbers

1064.3mhz

1064.4mhz

If it was ddr3 1600 it would say 800mhz

If it was ddr3 1333 it would say 667mhz

Also I would like to give a thanks svl7 as well. And if you need a dump from me for the GT750m Y400/Y500 let me know (also I haven't read the whole thread yet so i would need to know how as well)

Do you have to do this flash to overclock period, or just over +135mhz? I couldn't at all on the 320.00 drivers, so I reverted to 310.99 and still couldn't. But I been messing around with some other guide, using the .bat file / Inspector method, and now I can overclock to anything I want. If I update back to 320.00, will I lose this ability?

I didn't flash to the BIOS in the OP yet, so I don't want to go back to 320.00 if it'll mess my overclock up. I ended up doing it by using the parameters in the batch file for Inspector, but it locked me at 400mhz core clock. I overclocked the middle p-state in Inspector and voila, core overclock. Running 960/2400 now. But to OC the memory, I have to adjust the offset in the highest p-state. So...it's kind of weird. But the combined effort of overclocking the core in one p-state and the memory offset in the other allows me to up the 650m to my liking.

@dph314 The V2.02 BIOS mod flashes the BIOS and the vBIOS of the internal GPU. If you have SLI the vBIOS of the Ultrabay GPU needs to be flashed separately using NVFLASH. Just follow the instructions in the OP to the letter and you'll get it.

@NotListed How did you "play with voltage?" As far as I know GPU voltage control has not been unlocked yet. Increasing voltage does nothing for increasing VRAM overclocking headroom, just the core. I'm not surprised you can't push the memory much further because it is already 500 MHz higher than the 650M and if they are using the same quality VRAM chips then they've already used up most of the OC headroom at the factory. The reason you are not getting around 7600 Physics score every time is that you are not using ThrottleStop.

To get a dump of your system BIOS use the fptw64.exe tool and follow the instructions in the OP for making the BIOS backup and send it to svl7. Additionally, if you have 750M SLI then follow the instructions in this guide to get a vBIOS dump from the Ultrabay GPU as well.

@dph314 The V2.02 BIOS mod flashes the BIOS and the vBIOS of the internal GPU. If you have SLI the vBIOS of the Ultrabay GPU needs to be flashed separately using NVFLASH. Just follow the instructions in the OP to the letter and you'll get it.

@NotListed How did you "play with voltage?" As far as I know GPU voltage control has not been unlocked yet. Increasing voltage does nothing for increasing VRAM overclocking headroom, just the core. I'm not surprised you can't push the memory much further because it is already 500 MHz higher than the 650M and if they are using the same quality VRAM chips then they've already used up most of the OC headroom at the factory. The reason you are not getting around 7600 Physics score every time is because you are not using ThrottleStop.

Thank you very much. I seem to have overclocked without the flash though. I don't know if my posts are going to pop up eventually or not, seems like a mod keeps deleting them (they have to be reviewed since I have less than 5). But yeah I just ran 1000mhz core 3dMark11 run and I haven't flashed anything yet. How is that? Is it because I'm using the 310.99 drivers and in order to overclock like this with the 320.00's I have to do the flash in the OP?

Thank you very much. I seem to have overclocked without the flash though. I don't know if my posts are going to pop up eventually or not, seems like a mod keeps deleting them (they have to be reviewed since I have less than 5). But yeah I just ran 1000mhz core 3dMark11 run and I haven't flashed anything yet. How is that? Is it because I'm using the 310.99 drivers and in order to overclock like this with the 320.00's I have to do the flash in the OP?

Yeah if you have fewer than 5 posts your posts will be reviewed before they appear hence the delay.

We know about using .bat files with Nvidia Inspector and that is how everyone overclocked before this modded BIOS was available. The problem with that method is you are limited to +135 on any drivers after 310.90 and as of 320.00 BETA that has not changed yet. Obviously using such old drivers to play any of the newest games is not feasible since optimizations and SLI profiles for them are missing. The modded BIOS and vBIOS allow you to overclock past the +135 MHz core limit on any driver version and also makes the overclocking process much easier since you can simply use something like MSI Afterburner and move the sliders instead of having to create custom batch files with Nvidia Inspector. If you read Mobius 1's thread on NBR where this method originated from you'll see he explicitly wrote that you should check for a BIOS/vBIOS mod before using that method.

Also, you shouldn't overclock in P5 as the core voltage is lower than in P0 and this will limit how high your core can go. P0 is the highest performance state and this is where you will get the best results.

@NotListed How did you "play with voltage?" As far as I know GPU voltage control has not been unlocked yet. Increasing voltage does nothing for increasing VRAM overclocking headroom, just the core. I'm not surprised you can't push the memory much further because it is already 500 MHz higher than the 650M and if they are using the same quality VRAM chips then they've already used up most of the OC headroom at the factory. The reason you are not getting around 7600 Physics score every time is that you are not using ThrottleStop.

To get a dump of your system BIOS use the fptw64.exe tool and follow the instructions in the OP for making the BIOS backup and send it to svl7. Additionally, if you have 750M SLI then follow the instructions in this guide to get a vBIOS dump from the Ultrabay GPU as well.

I do not have 750M SLI. They don't yet have the Y400 gt750M ultrabay for sale and do not sell the Y500 gt750m ultrabay part separate from a "IdeaPad Y500 Laptop - Dual Graphics - 59371963" unit which already has it installed. As far as playing with the voltage I the slider on nvidia inspector worked (I've not had time to install anything more to verify changes or anything so it could be it did nothing). I'll take dump of my bios next chance I get.

As far as updating drivers, if you use anything beyond lenovo's drivers right now you have to manually add your laptops hardware id info to nvwin.inf as the GT750m doesn't exist (GT740m does in latest beta's though) in the drivers folder and to install beta drivers you first have to reboot your machine with test signing turned on but that gets tricky with secure boot enabled...

to update drivers these are the shortest steps I've cobbled together

1. Windows Key + X

2. Select "Device manager"

3. Expand display adapters doubleclick on your video card

4. Look at detail tab, in property drop down select "hardware id"

5. note your Ven, Dev, and subsys values mine for example is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_380217AA"

6. visit LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers populate device search field

7. Download inf file for driver you attempted to install overwrite in the extracted location (location for me was "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\320.00\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver")

8. Windows Key + R

9. Enter “shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 0″ – this tells the computer to restart and prompt how you want to start

10. The system will restart to a menu allowing you to change how it boots.

11. Select “Troubleshoot”

12. Select “Advanced options”

13. Select “Windows Startup Settings” – this will restart Windows and let us change the boot options

14. Click “Restart” button

15. System will restart to “Advanced Boot Options” screen

16. Select “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement” – this tells the computer to booth without forcing signed drivers.

17. Reboot the computer and install the driver from the extracted folder (for me it was "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\320.00\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\setup.exe")

18. Reboot disable driver signature enforcement will be enabled again.

Thanks much svl7. The centrino 2230 that shipped with the Y500 makes me want to cry. Meanwhile, I purchased a "lenovo" 6300 on ebay which still fails the whitelist validation. This is a great laptop aside from the crippled wireless. Your efforts are much appreciated.