Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Sorry bud, I honestly have no idea and I'm not using Windows 8 anymore. Don't think I'll be of any help. :(

If the BIOS flash wasn't successful, the system wouldn't even boot with an aftermarket wireless card installed.

I appreciate the reply. This is just irritating. I'm offering at least a $30 donation (enough to buy a good bottle of maker's mark ;) ) to anyone that can provide a working solution to the problem I'm having.

Does the WLAN card work in other machines? Have you tried using Driver Sweeper/Fusion to clean out the old wireless driver? Do a system image backup and reinstall the OS as a last resort? This way you can go back if reformat doesn't fix it.

I dun have the card, so this might not help much. But I read somewhere that Lenovo power management app can cause trouble, try uninstall it. If all method fails, do a backup and recover a clean os to know whether the problem is with the card. If you suspect it's the bios issue, revert to original bios and update to official 2.04 b4 modifying it. Hope it help

@SVL Plz I wanna your help , I wanna crack my bios just to enable virtualization as i told in previous reply , I forgot it cause i never need it 5 months since it was changed ... now i wanna setup virtual Server System to finish share point training .... actually I learned some bios disassembling tools and techniques but I need some help so if you can I will be happy and I already managed to decompress my bios Y500 ...is it possible for me to unlock my bios passowrd through decrypting it and restoring it back I don't wanna change bios chip cause here I don't guarantee any electronics maintenance man @ Egypt

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Re1gisters.

when i try to use fpwt64.exe i get the message above any help Lenovo Y500 bios v 1.3

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Re1gisters.

when i try to use fpwt64.exe i get the message above any help Lenovo Y500 bios v 1.3

Did you disable the password protection you mentioned earlier?

@svl7 I have mod my Y400 with your bios mod, Thousand Thanks! :chuncky:

btw, i have tried many configuration on bios, and i tried to enable Intel HD Graphic, I was able to startup without any boot problem, ONLY by set to " PCI " as primary display.

but, when windows done startup, i noticed that GT750M is not enable, and i was able to install Intel HD Driver. i think i'm running on Intel HD Graphic, but, with no driver, so, its a bit stuttering..

Here's some pic

post-30519-14494998590444_thumb.png

post-30519-14494998589348_thumb.png

post-30519-14494998590053_thumb.png

Hi, I'm new here and I signed up because I was planning to switch out my stock wireless adapter to the 7260. I see your signature (or is that what it's called?) contains the Intel AC 7260 but through this thread, no post confirmed that you succeeded with the installation. How did you go through with it?

Does the WLAN card work in other machines? Have you tried using Driver Sweeper/Fusion to clean out the old wireless driver? Do a system image backup and reinstall the OS as a last resort? This way you can go back if reformat doesn't fix it.
I dun have the card, so this might not help much. But I read somewhere that Lenovo power management app can cause trouble, try uninstall it. If all method fails, do a backup and recover a clean os to know whether the problem is with the card. If you suspect it's the bios issue, revert to original bios and update to official 2.04 b4 modifying it. Hope it help

I will try these both to see if they work. If so, you'll def be hearing from me and I'll buy you both each a few or more beers :) Give me a few days as I have drill this weekend, so I'll be packing, working, and getting ready for it.

Yeah, try what jamescc suggested. Flash the backup of your original BIOS, update to official 2.04 using this, and then mod it again. This'll put both BIOS and EC version at 2.04 as right now you have BIOS on 2.04 and EC on 2.02. Not sure if it'll make any difference but it's worth a shot.

Has anyone done this on a purely Linux system? I can make the USB and the customized BIOS on a Windows desktop, but I haven't seen much on grabbing the backup of the BIOS on Linux. I'm looking at flashrom now, but I'd appreciate any other advice/tips.

sorry, but just need a quick answer.

my current y500 is already running on bios 2.04. so its safe for me to just flash the modded bios using the normal method stated in page 1 right?

Yes follow all the directions in the first post carefully.