Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

There's a "Load Optimized Defaults" option in EXIT menu.

Just dont forget to set "Legacy Support" after loading defaults and set your OS drive on top of the list.

I cant even enter to the bios. the laptop just shutdown before i can do anything.

Try unplugging all drives from your laptop and see it changes anything during boot.

I disconnected everything includung the hard drive and I even changed the ram...ughhhh... Think I may need a board

Hey guys, it's good to see that the thread is still active. I'm run into a bit of a problem with my Y500 650m GT SLI, and I've surfed through the internet and forums as much as possible to remedy this issue, but I'm not 100% and would please like guidance. I figured that this would be the best possible place to ask.

Basically, My Y500 is stuck at the P8 (idle) state even when running 3D applications including gaming. As shown in the attached photo, it literally spikes to P0 for 1 second only to drop back down to P8. Therefore, I am ultimately stuck at 135/405... Now I have heard that it is possible to manually control the P-state through configuring with Nvidia Inspector, but I haven't done that yet and would possibly like to fix the issue without having to do that. Would any of you happen to please know how I could best remedy this issue so I may be able to play 3D games at full optimal P0 state performance? I would greatly appreciate it.

What I've tried/done:

1) Try Lenovo's new vBios for windows 8.1

2) Try another fully functional SLI Ultrabay Card

3) Reinstall OS

What I haven't done yet:

1) Manually configure P-state through Nvidia inspector coding (unaware on how to do this, will read up on it and try later)

2) Flash the bios to 2.04 to unlock (it is on default 2.02)

Note: This is mainly concerning SLI performance, as many would already have assumed. When I take out the Ultrabay SLI card, the single 650m GT runs fine on P0 state when 3D games are on. post-28426-14494998102935_thumb.jpg

Update: I have tried forcing p-state using the Nvidia Inspector. Unfortunately, it was to no avail with the computer with the 650m SLI.

I have confirmed that it works if I take out the Ultrabay SLI Card, however. There definitely is something PREVENTING the GPUs in SLI mode from going to P0 state, and I have no clue why. I have tried Power management settings, and everything google has told me.

I am hopelessly wondering if Modding the BIOS to 2.04 to unlocking the BIOS will perhaps solve this issue. If there's any guidance anyone could possibly provide me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Jason22492

I had the same issue, although it was on Windows 7 and with single 650 during games, it just switched to P8 at random times and stayed there. Cured it with 2.04 modded bios.

Though I still have no clue what could potentially cause this, may it be lenovo stock bios, ultrabay card bios or some power settings. The only thing I know for sure is that without overclocking - this machine sucks.

Also I have another potentially bad news for you - http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7331-vsync-buggy-not-working-properly-y500-under-windows-8-1-a.html

It appears to be a Windows 8.1 conflict with this machine.

So what I suggest in your case:

1) Check your PSU, it must be 120W, otherwise its a no go with SLI.

2) Flash to 2.04 bios (its not hard at all just follow instructions on the first page).

3) Test all this on Windows 8.1.

I disconnected everything includung the hard drive and I even changed the ram...ughhhh... Think I may need a board

I do the same but Still nothing. Its just unbelivable one bios settings can damage the whole machine like this :(

I do the same but Still nothing. Its just unbelivable one bios settings can damage the whole machine like this :(

Anyone knows where I can orser a botherboard? Or here I can buy the bare case with motherboard (or something like that)

@svl7 How do you go about modifying the vBIOS for GPU1?

I'm considering creating http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3593-ideapad-y500-bios-mods-overvolting-overclocked-out-box.html with the windows 8.1 compatible Ultrabay vBIOS and BIOS v 2.04.

@Lizzo @rip111

Have you tried the onekey recovery button instead of the power button? That gives you a boot menu where you can select BIOS straight up.

@Lizzo @rip111

Have you tried the onekey recovery button instead of the power button? That gives you a boot menu where you can select BIOS straight up.

Yeah orc i try it, but nothing just after 2 second the laptop shutdown itself and nothing more. Not even a single lenovo logo or something. The keyboard start lightning the hdd spin up then the all system just shut down

Yeah orc i try it, but nothing just after 2 second the laptop shutdown itself and nothing more. Not even a single lenovo logo or something. The keyboard start lightning the hdd spin up then the all system just shut down

same here/... and now, i'm not even gettin power

I tried to install the official HD 4000 drivers, "system requirements not reached" or something like this. (it's easier in German :-P).

Hope that the BIOS-Update will finally fix it. There is no such site elsewhere so I landed here to try my luck.

Edit: I did quite well with the normal flash from v1.05 to v2.02. Thanks for that.. but when I start the Biosfixer.exe (I successfully made a backup of my BIOS v2.02) I can not simply drag and drop the BIOSBACK.BIN into the program :-( Is there any hint you can give me?

and yes - I don't run the biosfixer.exe as an administrator. Either way it doesn't work on my machine. :-(

Edit #2: I ran Win7 in Safe Mode .. converting done, now everything works fine on v2.04 including SLI graphics! :-)

Only the Intel HD 4000 does not appear anyways :-/ But now i can underclock my graphics for a quieter office mode :-)

cheers!

Hello, i'm new user here. I'm sorry to ask stupid questions but just to make sure, does this work on windows 8.1 if i have bios version 2.02? if it does i have following questions: I assume that the moddified vbios for lenovo y500 gt 650m sli requires the v2.04 modded bios version? I have never done bios flashing or anything else like this before so i'm a complete novice on this. Thanks for your help.

2.02 bios is for core/memory overclocking, 2.04 lest you overclock voltage as well.

It does work with 8.1, however you need to flash SLI card with new bios, found somewhere in this thread.

Be warned that 8.1 is extremely buggy os and doesnt work well with SLI and y500 model in general. Well, if plan to play games on it.

2.02 bios is for core/memory overclocking, 2.04 lest you overclock voltage as well.

It does work with 8.1, however you need to flash SLI card with new bios, found somewhere in this thread.

Be warned that 8.1 is extremely buggy os and doesnt work well with SLI and y500 model in general. Well, if plan to play games on it.

No. I'm running 8.1 Pro on my Y500 w/SLI and modded 2.04 BIOS, zero issues here.

No. I'm running 8.1 Pro on my Y500 w/SLI and modded 2.04 BIOS, zero issues here.
Thats good to hear. I havent had any troubles either. When i upgraded to 8.1 the second card didn't work but the vbios upgrade was easy to find. Now i've been thinking about the modded bios but I'm having troubles to find confidence to do it. In any case, it seems the chances for doing mistakes is little but still. Programmargorp, would you like to shed some light on the second card bios upgrade. I was just wondering that if i needed 2 dos bootable usb drives, one for bios and other for vbios? And is the file for second card attached in the op?

Few more questions. Does the Y500 -Y400 - SLI 650m - 80.07.27.00.33 - OC.rom.zip Y500 - y400 - sli 650m - 80.07.27.00.33 -oc.rom.zip work with v2.04 bios? After i flash my bios to v2.04, i only have to flash my second cards vbios as the internal cards vbios is attached in v2.04 bios mod?

Thanks for helping a noob, as said i'm new to this stuff and a bit ashamed to ask all these questions as i don't have a very good grip on these things just yet.

If i get this to work some days soon, i'm definitely going to donate some beers, or at least one huge one.

Sorry for my incompetent language.

Thats good to hear. I havent had any troubles either. When i upgraded to 8.1 the second card didn't work but the vbios upgrade was easy to find. Now i've been thinking about the modded bios but I'm having troubles to find confidence to do it. In any case, it seems the chances for doing mistakes is little but still. Programmargorp, would you like to shed some light on the second card bios upgrade. I was just wondering that if i needed 2 dos bootable usb drives, one for bios and other for vbios? And is the file for second card attached in the op?

No. The second GPU's vBIOS is actually flashable within windows once you disable write protect on it.

No. The second GPU's vBIOS is actually flashable within windows once you disable write protect on it.

Ok, that helps quite a bit. This time i even think i know how to do that. Ok... Ok, i think i'm as ready as i get for this so i'm going to do this within the next few days. Going to keep reading this thread if someone happens to answers some of my dumb questions during that time. Otherwise i wish you wish me luck if needed. :)

Successfully installed the modded bios. Waiting on delivery of ac card. However when I boot the Blutooth portion of the 2230 card is not recognized despite re-installing the drivers. Any suggestions for changing settings in the bios?

Hello again everyone. I succesfully flashed the bios plus ultrabay vbios and i'm now starting the crazy overclocking. Special thanks to you Svl7, but as everyone knows words aren't quite enough, so i decided to donate you money for getting your head straight. :D Probably not the first one to donate 7 dollars, but anyways thank you hugely. :) Got my self a bit of that famous confidence although it was way easier than i thought. :) Thank you again and keep up the good work. Probably gonna hang around on this forum now on.

Just wanted to share my results from today. NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID Clocks Core:1150 memory:2400 Voltage:1,087 I guess i could give it a little more push Temperatures for GPUs: 83c highest CPU:87c highest. What would you suggest?

Just wanted to share my results from today. NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID Clocks Core:1150 memory:2400 Voltage:1,087 I guess i could give it a little more push Temperatures for GPUs: 83c highest CPU:87c highest. What would you suggest?

Can you run 3DMark 11?

You flashed your 650M Ultrabay vBIOS with the modded 80.07.27.00.33 in the OP? Does SLI work for you in Window 8.1? I thought it doesn't?