Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

svl7 your work is awesome! the official mod sped up my pc by three (maybe better sata handling?) and your mod finally enables my old overview i wanted again^^

now only things i look for is a fix for my bios not booting usb (do you know if this could be bios related? if so i happily give you and dump) and im off to testing graphics for now, lets see if i can carefully overclock those two powerpacks under the hood^^

EDIT:

Can anybody tell me why linux allows my graphics card (official nvidia driver) to have a memory clock of 4000 mhz by standard? or is it because linux divides and adds the two graphics cards' ram? (yep its splitted, only blender uses two at the same time, linux keeps both free else) it would be a bit disturbing if linux could overclock my graphics card memory speed by 2

Ok I had to sign up just so I can get a clear answer one this, there are just way too many pages to go through to find the answer so here's my question: I have a BIOS version 2.00 so, do I need to flash a leaked 2.02 THEN proceed with these instructions? I too am fed up with this included WIFI card and I can't wait to get rid of it. A quick reply will be great! Though I still need 4 more posts so I can download these files >_>

Yep and you also could have gotten T|I Elite so it would have been instant downloadable. Also 2.0 < 2.2 and the official tool checks version anyway so run the official bios update as mentioned in the guide, anything else likely will result in a 2,8 kg, overlarge but stylish letter holder. But even despite its stylishness its still too heavy and large so save yourself from that turnout

Yep and you also could have gotten T|I Elite so it would have been instant downloadable. Also 2.0 < 2.2 and the official tool checks version anyway so run the official bios update as mentioned in the guide, anything else likely will result in a 2,8 kg, overlarge but stylish letter holder. But even despite its stylishness its still too heavy and large so save yourself from that turnout

2.0<2.2 as in skip 2.0 and flash official 2.2? Wanna make sure I follow, I had no idea about the subscription.... >_> coulda saved a few days of waiting.

yep flash the official 2.2, its from Insyde and seemed legit and it updates to official 2.2 no matter what you are on before, then follow the rest of the steps. Also do strictly as the guide tells you, if something goes wrong there is a very high chance of the forementioned letter holder. (i copied the files twice on the dos stick even ^^)

yep flash the official 2.2, its from Insyde and seemed legit and it updates to official 2.2 no matter what you are on before, then follow the rest of the steps. Also do strictly as the guide tells you, if something goes wrong there is a very high chance of the forementioned letter holder. (i copied the files twice on the dos stick even ^^)

Alright don't worry, I'll extra careful not to. I also stumbled across a video on vimeo of a guy giving step buy step of this exact procedure here BIOS v2.04MOD Tutorial-How to Flash Y400-500 2.02 to 2.04 on Vimeo I'll follow the video and do this later as I need my lappy now. If anyone else needs help the video is really helpful and short.

I apologize in advance for this probably dumb question, but I do not have the energy to go all 168 pages of this thread.

I currently have a Y500 with an i5 3320 and 2 x 650m. I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro; I have upgraded the ram, and the msata SSD to a 240GB Mushkin, which I have installed the operating system on (with the BIOS in legacy boot mode), and Windows 8.1 Pro. Current BIOS version is 1.05, with the updated vBIOS for 8.1.

My question is this: Can I upgrade to the unlocked BIOS, for the purpose of installing an Intel 7260AC wifi card, without encountering any issues with any of the mods I have already done? and if so, do I simply follow the guide on the first page of this thread, or are there any added steps?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can definitively answer this.

I apologize in advance for this probably dumb question, but I do not have the energy to go all 168 pages of this thread.

I currently have a Y500 with an i5 3320 and 2 x 650m. I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro; I have upgraded the ram, and the msata SSD to a 240GB Mushkin, which I have installed the operating system on (with the BIOS in legacy boot mode), and Windows 8.1 Pro. Current BIOS version is 1.05, with the updated vBIOS for 8.1.

My question is this: Can I upgrade to the unlocked BIOS, for the purpose of installing an Intel 7260AC wifi card, without encountering any issues with any of the mods I have already done? and if so, do I simply follow the guide on the first page of this thread, or are there any added steps?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can definitively answer this.

yes. you simply follow the guide on the first page of this thread.

Does it also fix the possibility to boot from an ssd? It looks like I am still running v1.05 and I can't change the boot order to include the ssd

We need a bit more information for that, do you have replaced the ssd, what is installed on it (like dualboot or such) what is your boot mode set to (legacy/uefi). If you dualboot linux on it you will notice it wont really work if you keep uefi and have a mbr partition table.

In short: we need a bit more information, it could be wrong settings

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

wow this is amazing tutorial. apologize if i'm in the wrong forum, but i have a questions : is there any tutorial for installing hackintosh for ideapad y400 somewhere? cause i've been desperate to installed it for about 1 year now. thx.

after upgrading the BIOS can I run my 650m SLI at 900 MHz.....have you tested it out at this clock?

You can run @ 900 Mhz even without upgraded BIOS. With upgrade you can run your SLI at 1050 or even 1100 Mhz, depends on ASIC quality of your cards.

I think this probably has been asked here before, but i don't have the motivation to go trough 169 pages.

But to the question, has anyone actually bricked his laptop by flashing the BIOS? or is the risk minimal as long as i follow the guide?

I really want to flash it so i can install a 5GHZ wireless card.

You can run @ 900 Mhz even without upgraded BIOS. With upgrade you can run your SLI at 1050 or even 1100 Mhz, depends on ASIC quality of your cards.

upgraded successfully to stock bios v.2.02 after a brief scare but gpus are still stuck at 790 MHZ after increasing the base clock offset by +45 (tried seaparately with both NVidia SLi inspector and MSi afterburner) another thing my laptop came with 120w power supply, will this be enough to clock the gpus to 835MHZ or at the max 900MHZ? Can you please provide me with the guidelines...if its possible without modding the BIOS id really appreciate it coz im scared as hell trying to mess with the BIOS (brand new laptop)...

upgraded successfully to stock bios v.2.02 after a brief scare but gpus are still stuck at 790 MHZ after increasing the base clock offset by +45 (tried seaparately with both NVidia SLi inspector and MSi afterburner) another thing my laptop came with 120w power supply, will this be enough to clock the gpus to 835MHZ or at the max 900MHZ? Can you please provide me with the guidelines...if its possible without modding the BIOS id really appreciate it coz im scared as hell trying to mess with the BIOS (brand new laptop)...

Yes, your PSU is a problem here. I have both 120 and 170W PSU's and can confirm that in SLI mode they will throtlle themselves to lower frequencies (lower than 790 Mhz in most cases) due to insufficient PSU, some heavy duty processing might even crash laptop (happened to me twice with 120W PSU). So in short - you need that 170W brick to be able to use your SLI efficiently, especially if you planning to overclock it.

Yes, your PSU is a problem here. I have both 120 and 170W PSU's and can confirm that in SLI mode they will throtlle themselves to lower frequencies (lower than 790 Mhz in most cases) due to insufficient PSU, some heavy duty processing might even crash laptop (happened to me twice with 120W PSU). So in short - you need that 170W brick to be able to use your SLI efficiently, especially if you planning to overclock it.

:23_002:oh damn...thanks a lot for the heads up.....so which 170W PSU do you have?

Hello.

Please help me all time when i set 1158 Mhz in Nvidia Inspector he back to 1058 in 1 sec, why?

Need more intel on this one dude. Which card, which PSU are you using, in which programs gpu throttles?

:23_002:oh damn...thanks a lot for the heads up.....so which 170W PSU do you have?

Official lenovo 170W, bought it about six month ago.

Need more intel on this one dude. Which card, which PSU are you using, in which programs gpu throttles?

Official lenovo 170W, bought it about six month ago.

ok thanks, just one last thing...Lenovo has stopped the GPUs from using NVidia GPU boost which takes the clocks to 835MHZ, is there some way I can enable that without a BIOS mod. Since Nvidia Boost is better than overclocking, since the former only kicks in when the cards are really being stressed, is there a solution.

ok thanks, just one last thing...Lenovo has stopped the GPUs from using NVidia GPU boost which takes the clocks to 835MHZ, is there some way I can enable that without a BIOS mod. Since Nvidia Boost is better than overclocking, since the former only kicks in when the cards are really being stressed, is there a solution.

As far as I know there's no way to enable turbo boost on lenovo y500 at all. They somehow disabled it on a hardware level probably. But you cant actually overestimate turbo boost effectiveness since, well... its just not quite effective to say the least. For example @ 790 Mhz clock 650M SLI will net you ~4200PP in 3DMark11 while @ 835 Mhz score will rise by only 150-200 points at best. Overclocking changes things though, ~5200PP @ 1050 Mhz, ~5400 @ 1100 Mhz and ~5600 @ 1200 Mhz and thats +10-20 FPS for your games, which is huge in most cases if you ask me.

As far as I know there's no way to enable turbo boost on lenovo y500 at all. They somehow disabled it on a hardware level probably. But you cant actually overestimate turbo boost effectiveness since, well... its just not quite effective to say the least. For example @ 790 Mhz clock 650M SLI will net you ~4200PP in 3DMark11 while @ 835 Mhz score will rise by only 150-200 points at best. Overclocking changes things though, ~5200PP @ 1050 Mhz, ~5400 @ 1100 Mhz and ~5600 @ 1200 Mhz and thats +10-20 FPS for your games, which is huge in most cases if you ask me.

so im going to get my new power supply, before I initiate I would like to know what you think about the overclocking in terms of how safe is it for this laptop. also, are you using some type of cooling mechanism such as a cooling pad and finally, whats the relation between base clock offset and memory clock? (how should I balance the two)......thanks :-)

so im going to get my new power supply, before I initiate I would like to know what you think about the overclocking in terms of how safe is it for this laptop. also, are you using some type of cooling mechanism such as a cooling pad and finally, whats the relation between base clock offset and memory clock? (how should I balance the two)......thanks :-)

Overclocking is safe if you are not playing with voltage much (tho slight voltage adjustment is always a good thing to maintain a good clocks) and monitoring your temps. So for you I would say if temp during your heavy gaming goes above 85C (although this GPU's TDP is 100C its not recommended to run it @ 90 degrees for long periods of time) - there are definitely some things to reconsider. Lower clocks and voltage and test again.

No, I am not currently using any kind of cooling for this laptop although I am considering buying one right now, since summer is ahead and things could get hot here. To note here - I never had any heat issues with both GPU's, those usually are under 80C, at about 70-78C during loads, only heavy shooters like FarCry3 or Metro will boost up temps slightly over 80 mark, its still fine though.

So about core clock and memory clock here. When you are increasing core clock - you can get driver crashes if you clocked it way too high, downclock or pump up some voltage and try again. Increasing memory clock is a bit different, important thing to note here is that although memory and core are located on the same chip obviously the thermal sensors of the GPU will only show you core temps and not memory temps, so its important not too push memory too high even if its working stable. I would say +500 (+250 effective) is enough for this GPU and you wont really gain much by overclocking memory higher. Also to note that ASIC quality plays an important role here, the higher it is the faster you can overclock your GPU, for instance if you can push one to +300/+500 its not guaranteed that you can repeat it with another. Like in my case I cant push memory on the second GPU more than +200 since I am getting artifacts while the other one works stable even at +300/+600.