Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

• Bios Modder
Hey Klem, thanks! Would I try that with each number separate or just as you wrote it? Will try later this evening when back home:-) Thanks!!!!

Of course as i wrote it.

• 2 weeks later...
H,

i I was just wondering if the ultrabay rom on the first post "Y500 -Y400 - SLI 650m - 80.07.27.00.33 - OC.rom.zip " would work since I've flashed version 80.27.00.3A of the official vbios on my Ultrabay 650M card?

Cheers,

Steve

Yeah, I've flashed from stock to 2.02, then to 2.04, then to 3A and then again back to 2.04, all working so far.

Thanks Darkworld,

Yeah I managed to flash from 2.00 to 2.02 stock BIOS then backed it up and modded it then flashed it. The Ultrabay was no problem either however it appeard to be on 80.07.27.00.3A and I flashed over it with the supplied modded vbios of 80.07.27.33 from the first post. Had no issues doing that. I noticed both cards have the base clock set at 835MHz now, I read others in this thread noticed the same. I don't really mind.

I managed to get an overclock on both cards of 1100/2300MHz.

I ran a bit of Alan Wake on Windows 8.0 and managed to get a solid 50+ fps at 1080p after tweaking the in-game settings a little bit.

I also tested with 3D Mark 11.

I didn't run this benchmark before I started this overclocking journey so I can't benchmark it at the stock 790MHz since it's locked to 835MHz now. I'd assume I would have got sub 4k @790Mhz.

These are the before and after scores I got with the basic test :

@ 835Mhz/2000MHz : NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID

@ 1050 / 2300MHz : NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID

I'm curious if it's worth upgrading to Windows 8.1 to gain better performance? I recently refreshed my laptop HDD from Win 8.1 to Win 8.0 and remember Win 8.1 had issues with usb midi devices, I managed to get them working with a registry hack but if there's no improvement in gfx I might steer clear of the upgrade for the dodgey usb midi reason.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, under load playing Alan Wake and 3Dmark 11 I get termperatures of internal card : ~71c and ultrabay of ~81 while playing on at room temperature. The difference is in temps between them are about 10 degrees. What kind of temp ranges are you guys getting for your overclocks?

[Edit] Just realized that the cards were maxed at 1055MHz so the result above is for 1050MHz not 1100Mhz which I originally posted. I bumped it up to 1100MHz and was able to run alan wake fine. Going to 1150 resulted in a crash.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, under load playing Alan Wake and 3Dmark 11 I get termperatures of internal card : ~71c and ultrabay of ~81 while playing on at room temperature. The difference is in temps between them are about 10 degrees. What kind of temp ranges are you guys getting for your overclocks?

My temps are the same on both cards, eventhough I am overvolting ultrabay a bit due to stability issues. I am getting ~74C and ~73C on ultrabay in a long Civ5 sessions (4-5 hours). If it will be getting too hot you should probably consider repasting it.

Just realized that the cards were maxed at 1055MHz so the result above is for 1050MHz not 1100Mhz which I originally posted. I bumped it up to 1100MHz and was able to run alan wake fine. Going to 1150 resulted in a crash.

I recommend you to make a few long gaming sessions to test stability of you overclocks. For example my ultrabay card is pretty bad when it comes to overclock, I cant get it past +265/+200. Well, technically I can for bench purposes but it's not stable in the long run, even at +265/+200 I need to overvolt a bit to prevent crashes. Its a shame, since the other card works stable at +310/+600 even without overvolting.

I am just saying that eventhough it might run benches fine and look stable but during longer sessions it can result in a nasty crash, so you really want to test that out.

My best STABLE result so far @ Win7x64: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID

Thanks for the temps Darworld.

That's a decent score. I only managed to get above 5200 by setting both cards to 1125/2300Mhz. At that setting I felt I was getting to close to my ultrabays limits as it was getting temps in the high 80's after 20mins or benchmarking.

That's a good suggestion to repaste the ultrabay, I recently bought some silver compound I'll give it a shot tonight.

I should mention I'm overvolting both cards to 187.5mV and setting both the cpus to +310 (1100Mhz) for base clock offset, however you're right a long gaming session is really the only way to judge if it's really stable or not.

I played a bit of Civ5 for only 1.5hrs with a lot of alt+tabbing to check the temps with nvidia inspector.

I had issues when I set different lower clock frequencies on the ultrabay. At one point the card frequencies reset themselves. Is that an SLI limitation?

Would you mind sharing your overclock values for both cards and voltages applied please?

That's a decent score. I only managed to get above 5200 by setting both cards to 1125/2300Mhz. At that setting I felt I was getting to close to my ultrabays limits as it was getting temps in the high 80's after 20mins or benchmarking.

Cant say for sure but thats probably due to vanilla win8, I flashed to 2.04 on the preloaded win8 and got like ~5000 in 3dm11 with +300/+200 and occasional crashes, really disappointing. Shame you cant try it on 8.1, well anyway there's no ultrabay 2.04 for 8.1 to check full potential.

I should mention I'm overvolting both cards to 187.5mV and setting both the cpus to +310 (1100Mhz) for base clock offset, however you're right a long gaming session is really the only way to judge if it's really stable or not.

Wow, thats a hefty overvolting. So I tried similar overclock +310/+200 @ 1.075 V, got this: ***5327 3dm11***

Temps during bench 65C / 69C, dont know if it stable for practical use though. Gonna test it out with Civ5 today.

EDIT: Screw this, +410/+200 @ 1.200 V, here you go: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8193584

Actually placed 1st in valid results, lol.

I had issues when I set different lower clock frequencies on the ultrabay. At one point the card frequencies reset themselves. Is that an SLI limitation?

You cant run any SLI setup with different frequencies, well technically you can set different frequencies for your cards but they will operate and downclock themselves to the lowest clock presented.

Would you mind sharing your overclock values for both cards and voltages applied please?

Sure, I am currently running +265/+200 @ 1.050 V (+125 mV) on both cards, usual temps are 76C / 74C.

And gonna test overclock I mentioned above, since it yields almost +200 score in 3dm11, though temps will be much worse I presume.

And I have a desire to try all this on win8.1, as soon as my new SSD arrives. Gonna try and ask people around for 2.04 ultrabay bios.

Thank you for the much needed information to get rid of that annoying whitelist. It is unclear why Lenovo implemented such restrictions in the first place. They claim FCC and other regulations but according to unofficial conversations, it is more for control.

Tanks again!

EDIT: Screw this, +410/+200 @ 1.200 V, here you go: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID

Actually placed 1st in valid results, lol.

Damn that is one crazy overclock. I might try lowering my overvolt and see how my temps fair. I've been averaging 68 and 74 degrees for internal and ultrabay respectively.

And I have a desire to try all this on win8.1, as soon as my new SSD arrives. Gonna try and ask people around for 2.04 ultrabay bios.

I'm glad I didn't upgrade after the mod I thougth win8.1 would work with the modded 2.02 (80.07.27.0.33) firmware?

Damn that is one crazy overclock. I might try lowering my overvolt and see how my temps fair. I've been averaging 68 and 74 degrees for internal and ultrabay respectively.

Yeah, well, I played 3 hours of Civ5 on this crazy +410 and temps were kinda fine, 76C / 78C (+6-7C compared to +265). The best thing is that there were no crashes (strange, since in win8 I couldnt even run +300/+200 without crashes) and fps on max settings in Civ5 went even higher (57 avg. vs 52 avg. on +265/+200) and with trhrottlestop its almost always 60.

I'm glad I didn't upgrade after the mod I thougth win8.1 would work with the modded 2.02 (80.07.27.0.33) firmware?

Win8 will work even with 2.04, the thing here is that theres no 2.04 bios for ultrabay card so that basically renders 2.04 overvolting feature useless, thats a shame - so much potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

I ended up sticking with 1100MHz/2200MHz and voltage at + .175mV to get it to 1.1V even though it seems to clock down to 1.063V after a few minutes playing a game with high GPU utilization.

Temps have been 70 degrees for internal and 75 degrees ultrabay.

I think I will run same overclock after all. Played 5 hours of Civ5 on +410, temps getting bigger - 78 C / 83 C, I dont like this ._.

Then I played Civ5 @ +310/200 @ 1.075, game crashed after 2 hours, though I am not entirely sure it was driver crash, since there were no error messages like usual, probably it was just a typical game crash. Need further testing. Also as you mentioned cards working on lower voltage, in my case they were working @ 1.037 instead of 1.075 and voltage not even jumping during gaming, thats weird.

what does the lenovo fast boot option in the bios do?

is it worth it to activate any of the options pertaining to temp. monitoring that are disabled by default?

can i activate acpi 3.0 safely?

also, is it normal for the internal gpu to throttle istelf more than the ultrabay? for some reason the internal wants to stay at 845, when the ultrabay is at 940mhz.

To find the bios version you can either boot into the bios or... go to control panel > system and security > administrative tools > system information. It should be listed on the first tab/list that shows up.