Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I cant seem to create my backup. With the dos and 64 version when I click the backup.bat it opens a window and closes so fast I can't even see what it says.

If I try to use the provided command line (-d BackupBiosY500.bin -bios) I get error

'Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help."

I cannot launch the DOS application, windows alerts me saying "this application can not run on your system"

Am I just stupid and doing it wrong? haha.

Yeah I was stupid. I ran it from the cmd and got it.

Bios flash went good. Doing my vbios though, nvflash can't seem to do it. I get an error saying that the EEPROM is locked and cant be modified. Help with that?

Turn off write protection? Might want to read the instructions in the OP and svl7's NVFLASH guide more carefully.

I'm tired of the bad wlan card and want to switch it by getting rid of the whitelist.

My BIOS version is 2.03, will it be safe to do this flash?

Also any downsides to doing this flash?

I have put Windows 7 on my computer instead of windows 8 is there a different installation method for Windows 7?

Any problems with this modded bios and windows 7?

and I have the 750m sli version if that matters.

I have the exact same system 750M SLI, I thought the BIOS is independent of the operating system.

in fact I just ordered a intel 7260ac as replacement, should get here any day now.

I have one quick question, if I were to flash my bios, make a backup. If I decide in the future to reverse the bios to the stock version that I backed up and send my laptop for warranty repairs, would it still qualify?

Yes that is the way to do it.

Thanks for the response, I'm in the process of flashing the modded bios on my y500. I'm having trouble booting into DOS.

I disabled secureboot in bios; however, I still don't see an option to boot into DOS via USB at all. I also tried copying all the files from the win98_files directory into the usb and it still didn't work.

Any tips?

Thanks for the response, I'm in the process of flashing the modded bios on my y500. I'm having trouble booting into DOS.

I disabled secureboot in bios; however, I still don't see an option to boot into DOS via USB at all. I also tried copying all the files from the win98_files directory into the usb and it still didn't work.

Any tips?

Follow the instructions in the OP for making a bootable USB stick correctly. (Hint: It does not involve manually copying over the win98_files folder.)

In BIOS change Boot Mode to Legacy which will allow you to see the flash drive in the F12 boot menu.

Follow the instructions in the OP for making a bootable USB stick correctly. (Hint: It does not involve manually copying over the win98_files folder.)

In BIOS change Boot Mode to Legacy which will allow you to see the flash drive in the F12 boot menu.

Thanks! I got it to work. I see that you are using SLI as well. I opened up the nvidia inspector and saw that my default graphics card 750M got overclocked to 1058 MHz, while the ultrabay one is @ the default 941 MHz.

So do I have to either overclock the ultrabay graphics to the 1058MHz with matching memory speed or downclock my main GPU to match that of the ultrabay's to prevent game stuttering?

Thanks! I got it to work. I see that you are using SLI as well. I opened up the nvidia inspector and saw that my default graphics card 750M got overclocked to 1058 MHz, while the ultrabay one is @ the default 941 MHz.

So do I have to either overclock the ultrabay graphics to the 1058MHz with matching memory speed or downclock my main GPU to match that of the ultrabay's to prevent game stuttering?

Your Ultrabay GPU is showing that because it hasn't been modded to remove GPU Boost 2.0 like your main GPU has been. When you fire up a game or benchmark, both GPU's will run at 1058 MHz.

As an aside, GPU's in SLI can run asynchronous clocks just fine.

Your Ultrabay GPU is showing that because it hasn't been modded to remove GPU Boost 2.0 like your main GPU has been. When you fire up a game or benchmark, both GPU's will run at 1058 MHz.

So am I right in assuming that the system/nvidia control panel will alter the card with a slower setting to match the card with the higher setting? What if I overclock the ultrabay 750m to 1058MHz, I do see some room for boost. Does this mean that the main GPU will get boosted to match the speed capable by the ultrabay with boost on?

I read the release documentation with the modded bios, it says: " - boost disabled". So I guess this is referring to the GPU? It's not referring to removing the CPU's intel turbo boost capability and making the CPU run at max all the time?

Finally, since the main GPU is overclocked, the ultrabay is not, what is the ideal way of overclocking them? Ultrabay can only go up to 135MHz.

Thanks

thanks, I think I see what you mean now. Is there a reason as to why GPU boost is disabled though?

Because it creates unnecessary additional complexity which gets in the way of overclocking. svl7 is a smart dude, that's why he got rid of it in his mods.

• Bios Modder
thanks, I think I see what you mean now. Is there a reason as to why GPU boost is disabled though?

You need just to flash ultrabay card with modded bios too.

After flashing the modded ultrabay VBIOS my SLI is back in business - thanks all for the work on that! - but I was wondering. Is it safe to flash the modded VBIOS only to the internal card as well? For example, to flash the modded BIOS, then the VBIOS separately, to get the same clocks on both cards? Or should I apply a differently modded system BIOS (modified with the desired VBIOS, naturally?)

Sorry if this has been answered in the thread already, if it has been I missed it. Thanks!

After flashing the modded ultrabay VBIOS my SLI is back in business - thanks all for the work on that! - but I was wondering. Is it safe to flash the modded VBIOS only to the internal card as well? For example, to flash the modded BIOS, then the VBIOS separately, to get the same clocks on both cards? Or should I apply a differently modded system BIOS (modified with the desired VBIOS, naturally?)

Sorry if this has been answered in the thread already, if it has been I missed it. Thanks!

Only modified VBIOS for the ultrabay card is needed. Internal card VBIOS is integrated with the main BIOS and cannot be flashed seperately. This does not cause any issues with SLI, as Nvidia states VBIOS version don't prevent SLI from functioning.

• Thumbs Up 1