Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Okay, so I can't seem to click links for the downloads in the OP, it keeps saying I don't have permission to do this. Is there anyway I can get someone to mirror or post links otherwise? Also can I update from bios 1.05 to the 2.02?

EDIT: I now see that I need 5 posts to get downloads, and that I cannot flash modified bios without going to 2.02

Time to find 5 valuable contributions

Okay, successfully flashed modified bios, nooby question, where are the wireless cards in the bios settings. I cannot seem to locate the list anywhere nor how to whitelist them. Thanks

You don't need to do anything. Once you've flashed the modded BIOS the whitelist has been automatically removed and you can install any WLAN card you wish.

Just fyi folks, I did the upgrade to windows 8.1 and that bluetooth issue persists(the one where bluetooth mysteriously disappears). Not only that, but there's a new desktop watermark that shows in the bottom right telling you that secureboot is off if you've disabled it. So you can either turn that back on to get rid of the watermark or leave it off so that the bluetooth destroys itself less often.

I really wish this would get fixed. It seems pretty ridiculous.

Has anyone found a combo wifi/bluetooth card that doesn't have this problem?

• Thumbs Up 1

After hours of reading the hole thread I'm ready to flash my Y500 SLI. When I bought my Y500 I thought there would be no issue with demanding games like Crysis 3 and Metro. When I saw how mutch I had to downgrade the settings I had to do something about that. And I was realy pleased to find this thread.

Before I begin I want to know in what order to flash and install a 7260ac card.

1 Do I first pull out the 2230 default card or turn off wifi in the bios. 2 flash bios and ultra-bay. And 3 install the new 7260ac card.

I also want to know what is going to happen if I turn the wifi on after flashing and leave the 2230 card in to install a 7260ac after a couple of days.

I can't boot with USB drive. Secure Boot is off, Boot Mode and Prioiry - in Legacy mode, OS Optimization - set to Other OS. And even in this case I can't boot with my flash-drive - it's unavailable in f12 Boot Menu. I see in it only HDD SATA, Windows Boot and network boot options. I've tryed USB drives built with EUFI and MBR variants - no effect. And I can see this flash-drive in win8 or i can boot from it on my desktop PC - so it 100% works.

My BIOS ver is 1.03. Can the BIOS update to v.2.02 helps me?

After hours of reading the hole thread I'm ready to flash my Y500 SLI. When I bought my Y500 I thought there would be no issue with demanding games like Crysis 3 and Metro. When I saw how mutch I had to downgrade the settings I had to do something about that. And I was realy pleased to find this thread.

Before I begin I want to know in what order to flash and install a 7260ac card.

1 Do I first pull out the 2230 default card or turn off wifi in the bios. 2 flash bios and ultra-bay. And 3 install the new 7260ac card.

I also want to know what is going to happen if I turn the wifi on after flashing and leave the 2230 card in to install a 7260ac after a couple of days.

I don't think theres any issue with leaving the 2230 in. I flashed the bios, then swapped the cards a few days later, didn't turn wifi off or anything.

How much FPS can I expect with a game like Crysis 3 in 1080P when both 650m GPU's overclocked? And is it necessary to use Throttlestop on the i7?

Can anyone tel me how to squeeze the maximum out my laptop. I think jester_socom's thread is exellent to auto overclock the GPU's. I'll greatly appreciate any advice here...

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3593-ideapad-y500-bios-mods-overvolting-overclocked-out-box.html

i am using ideapad y400 with current firmware 2.03, i suppose it is safe to flash it with the modified 2.04 posted by slv7 on his first post? anyone?

Yes it's fine, it's exactly what you need to do if you want the BIOS mod.

How much FPS can I expect with a game like Crysis 3 in 1080P when both 650m GPU's overclocked? And is it necessary to use Throttlestop on the i7?

Can anyone tel me how to squeeze the maximum out my laptop. I think jester_socom's thread is exellent to auto overclock the GPU's. I'll greatly appreciate any advice here...

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3593-ideapad-y500-bios-mods-overvolting-overclocked-out-box.html

Depends on how far you overclock of course. And yes ThrottleStop is needed to run the i7 at full power but just be aware that it kicks out a substantially higher amount of heat, possibly to the point of overheating the CPU.

Update. Official BIOS V2.04 update and Ultrabay 650M/750M vBIOS update, which allow SLI to function properly in Windows 8.1, have been leaked. Take a look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4820-svl7-we-need-you-windows-8-1-a-3.html#post70391

Now all we need is for these files to receive the magical svl7 mod treatment and we're good to go. :Banane34:

• Thumbs Up 3

Update. Official BIOS V2.04 update and Ultrabay 650M/750M vBIOS update, which allow SLI to function properly in Windows 8.1, have been leaked. Take a look here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4820-svl7-we-need-you-windows-8-1-a-3.html#post70391

Now all we need is for these files to receive the magical svl7 mod treatment and we're good to go. :Banane34:

Thats great news... I gues I'm going to wait with flashing, but I think I'm not brave enough to flash. I found the video though, the only thing that holds me back is that there is no video for the vBIOS for the ultra-bay GPU.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm realy afraid to brik my laptop, so a little help realy will be highly appreciated.

happy happy joy joy

chinese leakers and svl7 bring us all hope

I can't boot with USB drive. Secure Boot is off, Boot Mode and Prioiry - in Legacy mode, OS Optimization - set to Other OS. And even in this case I can't boot with my flash-drive - it's unavailable in f12 Boot Menu. I see in it only HDD SATA, Windows Boot and network boot options. I've tryed USB drives built with EUFI and MBR variants - no effect. And I can see this flash-drive in win8 or i can boot from it on my desktop PC - so it 100% works.

My BIOS ver is 1.03. Can the BIOS update to v.2.02 helps me?

Make sure legacy USB in the BIOS is enabled. I had the same issue and that fixed it.

Hello,

I want to add a 5ghz wifi card to my laptop, therefore I need this hacked bios.

My only concern is that when I flash this bios my warranty will be void and therefore I can't get a laptop repair in case something breaks.

Is it possible to flash back to the original bios without leaving any traces when my laptop breaks?

~ Archcry

Hi Octicep, please help to clarify my doubt, I saw the video in this thread somewhere. that fellow backup the existing BIOS, and use the downloaded tool to modified it, so that mean I don't have to download the modified 2.04 bios right? but where is it included in the download link on slv7 first post? are we supposed to stick to the modified BIOS of our own? thanks.

Yes it's fine, it's exactly what you need to do if you want the BIOS mod.

Depends on how far you overclock of course. And yes ThrottleStop is needed to run the i7 at full power but just be aware that it kicks out a substantially higher amount of heat, possibly to the point of overheating the CPU.

Can you post benchmarks of the i7 at standard speed (without ThrottleStop) and at full power (with ThrottleStop), so I can decide what to do. I'm asking myself if it's worth it, because i think there's a little headroom. On the other side I'm thinking to build an external cooling of a metal cd briefcase...

Hello,

I want to add a 5ghz wifi card to my laptop, therefore I need this hacked bios.

My only concern is that when I flash this bios my warranty will be void and therefore I can't get a laptop repair in case something breaks.

Is it possible to flash back to the original bios without leaving any traces when my laptop breaks?

~ Archcry

Yes just don't lose your original BIOS backup and flash that when you need to send your laptop in for repair.

Hi Octicep, please help to clarify my doubt, I saw the video in this thread somewhere. that fellow backup the existing BIOS, and use the downloaded tool to modified it, so that mean I don't have to download the modified 2.04 bios right? but where is it included in the download link on slv7 first post? are we supposed to stick to the modified BIOS of our own? thanks.

I don't know what video you're talking about, not that it matters. Just follow svl7's instructions in the OP.

Can you post benchmarks of the i7 at standard speed (without ThrottleStop) and at full power (with ThrottleStop), so I can decide what to do. I'm asking myself if it's worth it, because i think there's a little headroom. On the other side I'm thinking to build an external cooling of a metal cd briefcase...

I don't know what benchmarks you want me to run but 2.4 GHz to 3.2 GHz is a 33% increase and it does make a noticeable difference in CPU-intensive games and even more so in synthetics.

• Thumbs Up 3

I believe your Windows 8 license is included in your laptop BIOS (which is unique)

and not included in the 2.04 BIOS file which you downloaded from internet.

Backing up it and applying patch can retain your license.

I ran some very basic ones much earlier in this thread somewhere and posted temps too. There was a significant benefit and the extra heat was manageable. The thing to keep in mind about the extra heat is that a) it's not doing any GPU engagement and the primary GPU shares the heatsink and B) synthetic benchmarks tend to generate more heat than standard gaming workloads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there!

I have just yesterday updated my y500 bios from v1.05 to v2.02 from a full chinese website. It was very thrilling because i didn't know what i do exactly but the pass fortunately was succesfull (otherwise i can't write now). :D So if you dont mind i will put here some all but blank post to be i able to downloading the modded bios.

Thanks in advance!