Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I have a question..

I've got a Y500 with gt650m sli and now the 2.00 stock bios.

I want to flash the both gt650m cards to overclock it. (integrated and the ultrabay one)

The instruction is saying "Flashing the ultra bay 650m - only for SLI users with BIOS v2.02" and

"The modified BIOS v2.02 also contains a vbios"

What shall I do now? I can't see a 2.02 custom BIOS under "Attached Files". Or should I flash the 2.04 BIOS and after that the OC ROM for the both GT650m with the nvflash-tool?

Or needn't I flash the gpu bios after flashing the custom 2.04?

Sorry for my bad english and please help me. :)

I have a question..

I've got a Y500 with gt650m sli and now the 2.00 stock bios.

I want to flash the both gt650m cards to overclock it. (integrated and the ultrabay one)

The instruction is saying "Flashing the ultra bay 650m - only for SLI users with BIOS v2.02" and

"The modified BIOS v2.02 also contains a vbios"

What shall I do now? I can't see a 2.02 custom BIOS under "Attached Files". Or should I flash the 2.04 BIOS and after that the OC ROM for the both GT650m with the nvflash-tool?

Or needn't I flash the gpu bios after flashing the custom 2.04?

Sorry for my bad english and please help me. :)

Flash the 2.04 modded BIOS. That will add the VBIOS for the integrated card. You have to download the modded VBIOS and flash the ultrabay card separately. Once you do that you can OC both cards.

Flashed the 2.02 BIOS update, the update ran and installed just fine, BUT, then my screen went black... Let it sit for about an hour, decided to shut it down manually, started it, black screen, no beeps, no nothing...

After about 10 hours of googling, trying different bios recovery things (none worked btw) and dragging my hair out, I decided to open up the laptop to see if I could find the CMOS battery (long shot, I know), couldn't find it, saw the RAM sticks and figured I'd give it a go, removed one of the sticks and then tried to start the laptop again.

It started without a single problem <.<

Perfect timing to have a RAM stick die on me!

Anyways, will buy some new RAM shortly and then proceed with the modding to 2.04!

Quick little question though, haven't seen anything about it, is CPU undervolting possible with this mod?

If I'm stuck at the boot loop should I just try to flash a different bios and see if it works? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really not sure what to do at this point. Tried system restore with no luck and system repair, etc.

Hope this is ok to ask. I flashed the bios and all went well. Thank you so much svl7 very cool what you have done for all of us. I now want to flash my 650m ultra bay. Question I would like to ask is do you do it he same way as flashing the bios also using the same dos commands to flash the ultra bay? of course the difference being the .rom file name Thank You Again in advance

Hope this is ok to ask. I flashed the bios and all went well. Thank you so much svl7 very cool what you have done for all of us. I now want to flash my 650m ultra bay. Question I would like to ask is do you do it he same way as flashing the bios also using the same dos commands to flash the ultra bay? of course the difference being the .rom file name Thank You Again in advance
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I have a gap between the touchpad and laptop. I want to sent my laptop for warranty. It's very annoying.....

I have the hacked bios installed. Also I have the Original backup of my bios firmware. How do I flash the Original firmware restore back?

Thanks

Follow the same instructions in the OP that you used to flash the modded BIOS. Make a DOS-bootable USB drive, put your BIOS backup and other required files on it, boot from it, and flash the BIOS backup file using the command.

Have a Y500 with 1.05 bios. If update to 2.02 goes wrong can you restore to 1.05?
Back up your BIOS for sure. There is a tut in this to do it. I don't use the exact tools they do here but the files I do. All about user preference.

I had a y500 with 1.05 bios. I've updated to 2.02 through insydeflash and got ethernet problems.

Then I've flashed it with svl's mod (2.04) and it seems ok now.

I had issues with getting gigabit link (it would always go to 100Mb) until I upgraded to the latest drivers for the wired NIC. I'd recommend that as a next course of action if the problem returns or you have any other weirdness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi! I try to make bios backup with Fptw64 from this thread and show this Error masage: Error 201: [FPTw64.exe] cannot be run on the current platform. Please contact your vendor. I supose because I use Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on my Y510p, it come to me with DOS only. Can I make backup with Fptw64_(8_series) from this thread and use BIOSFixer_2.0?

Thanks!

Hi All, can anyone help me with this issue I got......

I got the Y500 with SLI and I just updated to Windows 8.1 and now 1 of my NVidia 650m in device manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)", I tried to look up on the web and read that I must update my bios to resolve this problem. Lenovo doesn't have any bios update on their support page.... I'm currently running Bios Version 2.00 will updating to 2.04 fix the problem?

Thanks

Hi All, can anyone help me with this issue I got......

I got the Y500 with SLI and I just updated to Windows 8.1 and now 1 of my NVidia 650m in device manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)", I tried to look up on the web and read that I must update my bios to resolve this problem. Lenovo doesn't have any bios update on their support page.... I'm currently running Bios Version 2.00 will updating to 2.04 fix the problem?

Thanks

I've got the same problem with the 2.04 and modded VBIOS in the second card. Not sure exactly who needs to update what, but my understanding is that Lenovo ultimately has to release a new BIOS to deal with the problem. Alternatively, you can revert back to some (very old) drivers Lenovo has posted on their site under the 8.1 support - it's something like driver 307.xx -if you're not running many recent games. That'll bring the SLI back in the interim.