Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

This is probably a dumb question, but i figured better safe than sorry with a thousand dollar laptop.

Mine shipped with bios v 2.0. I used lenovo's (leaked) update to go to 2.02. I am ready to flash the modded BIOS but the only one i can see to download is 2.04. It looks okay from the instructions but i just wanted to confirm that upgrading from 2.02 stock to 2.04 modded would be safe.

Thanks! :)

This is probably a dumb question, but i figured better safe than sorry with a thousand dollar laptop.

Mine shipped with bios v 2.0. I used lenovo's (leaked) update to go to 2.02. I am ready to flash the modded BIOS but the only one i can see to download is 2.04. It looks okay from the instructions but i just wanted to confirm that upgrading from 2.02 stock to 2.04 modded would be safe.

Thanks! :)

Yes it's fine that's what we all did.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got my laptop back from sending it in for a repair under warranty. It had the modded bios and the sticker covering one of the screws was scratched off, but everything went smoothly and nothing happened to the warranty. The rep (in regards to warranty) said that the laptop is yours and you can do whatever you want to it as long as you are not responsible for whatever the problem is.

Good to know! Glad you got your problem sorted out. If I ever do send my laptop in for repair (keeping fingers crossed it won't happen) I'm still gonna flash back to stock beforehand.

Hello,

I messed up my computer (Y500, came with windows8). Long story short, I had to reformat everything. Now I'm using windows7 which is not compatible with the cd-key embedded in the BIOS, and it won't let me activate my windows7.

I am wondering if flashing the bios in the method described by the first post would fix this issue, and make the computer be able to accept other windows OS (like windows 7)? If not, how should I proceed to fix the issue? I have tried and failed to locate a valid windows8 iso online ;(

I have the recovery discs just asked them at lenovo and got them. It are 4 disks you can even do a clean install with them without all the lenovo crap. So just try and get the recovery disks.

Can somebody tell me where it leaves the backup bios, Maybe i'm doing something wrong. I extract Fptw64.zip to a new folder on the desktop and i execute the backup.bat as an administrator i don't get errors but i cannot see a backup file of my bios.

Also tried it with the command the box closes but does not leave a bios file in the same folder i put the command in the box that you get when you open fptw64.exe

Nevermind it is working now.

Heyho!

I wanna try to flash my bios to use the N6300 Card...

now i am forced to write 5 posts to the board to get access to the downloads... all tutorials i ever wrote, i never used something like this... the board will be full of spam....

but okay...

back to topic...

Is there any option to get a Backup of my old Bios, and how?

Is there any possibility to translate your tutorial to german.... my english is not the best, and i think there are a lot of people who aren´t able to speak english...

thank you

Hi just saw this thread after buying a y500 in june, I'm tired of the bad wlan card and want to switch it by getting rid of the whitelist. My BIOS version is 2.03, will it be safe to do this flash? Also any downsides to doing this flash? I have put Windows 7 on my computer instead of windows 8 and I have the 750m sli version if that matters.

Heyho!

I wanna try to flash my bios to use the N6300 Card...

now i am forced to write 5 posts to the board to get access to the downloads... all tutorials i ever wrote, i never used something like this... the board will be full of spam....

but okay...

back to topic...

Is there any option to get a Backup of my old Bios, and how?

Is there any possibility to translate your tutorial to german.... my english is not the best, and i think there are a lot of people who aren´t able to speak english...

thank you

Or just dontate $5 to a WONDERFUL community that I wish I found earlier. Anyway thanks much, I tried a manual vbios flash via dev files from nvidia. To no avail all I did was lock down one card. This should work so wish me luck! Time to hunt for my usb bootable drive ha.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi just saw this thread after buying a y500 in june, I'm tired of the bad wlan card and want to switch it by getting rid of the whitelist. My BIOS version is 2.03, will it be safe to do this flash? Also any downsides to doing this flash? I have put Windows 7 on my computer instead of windows 8 and I have the 750m sli version if that matters.

750 is almost identical to the 650m ( same chip ). And I run windows 7, should be fine. I will let you know once I finish it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you may want to confirm the vbios numbers 750 vs these ones. I got this to all go fine with the easy to follow instructions. Windows 7 works prime with this bios update (just remember to change secure boot when you update bios as it defaults settings).

I got an error using prr2.exe It says "This app can't run on your PC : to find a version for your pc check with the software publisher"

Run that program in boot, make a usb drive, or any sort of drive bootable with the information and programs provided. This is sort of a sandbox for the bios to update.

Thanks guys svl7, bpendz and bobfig! I haven't done the BIOS or DOS things before, so i don't know i have to boot the USB in to DOS mod (I reread it carefully but i missed this part.). now i have already mod the bios successfully.

and bobfig. your video is awesome. If i had it earlier i wouldn't take so much time lol (but it was a good experience though).

svl7 you're my hero :D

and after i moded the bios, i still need to mod the ultrabay to get it overclocked to +135MHz, right?

I have a question..

I've got a Y500 with gt650m sli and now the 2.00 stock bios.

I want to flash the both gt650m cards to overclock it. (integrated and the ultrabay one)

The instruction is saying "Flashing the ultra bay 650m - only for SLI users with BIOS v2.02" and

"The modified BIOS v2.02 also contains a vbios"

What shall I do now? I can't see a 2.02 custom BIOS under "Attached Files". Or should I flash the 2.04 BIOS and after that the OC ROM for the both GT650m with the nvflash-tool?

Or needn't I flash the gpu bios after flashing the custom 2.04?

Sorry for my bad english and please help me. :)

Thanks guys svl7, bpendz and bobfig! I haven't done the BIOS or DOS things before, so i don't know i have to boot the USB in to DOS mod (I reread it carefully but i missed this part.). now i have already mod the bios successfully.

and bobfig. your video is awesome. If i had it earlier i wouldn't take so much time lol (but it was a good experience though).

svl7 you're my hero :D

and after i moded the bios, i still need to mod the ultrabay to get it overclocked to +135MHz, right?

Yes you have to boot the mod rom to the vBios for the ultrabay card (as it isnt internal it is an external pci card (technically).

Then BAM you are done. These cards can push quite a bit, but find the sweet spot. Keep temps around 70c at max load, dont overvolt, and optimize the control panel and your games.