Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

UPDATE:

Now I know why it gets hot. I disabled SLI ( stupid of me ).

TEMPS now.

CPU : 86C

GPU0 : 77C

GPU1: 61C

CLOCKS: 1100/2500 1.1V

VERY HAPPY WITH RESULT

You can do 1200 on the core easily. VRAM is good up to 2800. As for mods it depends on how extreme you want to bring it. You can put washers behind the heatsink screws to increase pressure. You can repaste the with good thermal paste. Anything that doesn't cake up is good enough. I used MX-2 for the Y500 when I repasted it some time ago. Now I use the Shin Etsu X23-7783D for my new laptop. They are not that different to be honest.

You can also replace the stock thermal pads with some of the better thermal pads. I just randomly bought Koolance thermal pad because it has high thermal conductivity over some cheaper pads. 1mm pads might be a bit too thick (which was what I used), so 0.7mm might be good. Now to think of it I should get some Fujipoly thermal pad.

And if you can find a heatsink for $2 on Ebay, tear out the heatpipe without bending it, and bend it slowly using hammer/plyer with some heat applied, there's not much space but on the main heatsink it's possible to squeeze in another pipe. It's a lot of work but it works somewhat, at least for me.

The limits of the Y500 is about P5000+ in 3Dmark11, I once reached P5396 but that's not really stable for all games. Recently I ran it again, I'd say P5200 is about as good as it will reach, while still being stable.

Hi, Thank you for the fantastic mods :) I've upgraded to 2.02 and downgraded to Win7

Since the Windows license thing is baked into our BIOS's, can I just use a Windows 8 pro iso to install on my laptop or will I need to revert anything to stock? Logic tells me I don't but I wanted to get a quick confirmation. Sorry if this has been asked before.

When you install Windows 8, the first thing they ask you to do is to type in the product key, before the installation even starts.

Finally the bug with the non active second GT650M on reboot is fixed with 2.02. Got tired of complete shutdown everytime I needed to reboot xD. It's sad that the update is not on the official drivers&updates section for y500...

Hi I flashed the 2.02 bios for the Lenovo Y500 with 2 nVidia 650 SLI cards and need to remove the whitelisting to use my broadcom WiFi card, I created a DOS bootable USB drive created the v204mod.bin file from the 2.02 backupfile. I boot from the win98 dos boot flashdrive with the generated v204mod.bin fpt.exe prr.exe and fpart.txt file on it, I run the prr tool, seems to give no error, then I do the fpt.exe -f v204mod.bin -bios and I get a:

[PMODE/W]: Abort: 00

Exception : 0E

Error code: 00000000

EAX: FED1F800 EBX: 00199FFC ECX: 00000000 EDX: 00000010

ESI: 002A000 EDI: 0019A790 EBP: 002A0154 ESP: 0029FFE8

DS: 0860 ES: 0860 FS: 0848 GS: 0850 SS: 0860 CS: 0868

EIP: 0010D6B4

EFLAGS: 00010206

CR0: 80000011 CR2: FED1F805

and the C:\> prompt again

It looks like an error code, but I have no clue what to expect, fact is the bios is not unlocked and no matter how often I reflash the above message comes back.

What am I doing wrong

Another user encountered this error in the past. I recommend to format the USB and then make it DOS-bootable once more. Only put the modified bios, prr, fpt and fparts on it, then try again.

That helped, it did not abort the process after 1 sec but actualy seemd to do something, I still get two messages that worry me in yellow print PDR Region does not exist and GBE Region does not exist, it however continues and at the end prints -Veryfying Flash [0x600000] 4600KB of 4600KB - 100% complete.

RESULT: The data is identical.

then in friendly reassuring green: FPT operation passed

should the PDR and GBE region missing messages seen as an error and I need to reflash or is that normal?

My BIOS says it's version v1.03, can i just flash it with v2.02 without getting into any problems?

I've never flashed a BIOS so i'm kinda nervous about messing with it, however i really want to upgrade my wifi card :)

Hi, Thank you for the fantastic mods :) I've upgraded to 2.02 and downgraded to Win7

Since the Windows license thing is baked into our BIOS's, can I just use a Windows 8 pro iso to install on my laptop or will I need to revert anything to stock? Logic tells me I don't but I wanted to get a quick confirmation. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I downloaded a copy of win8 since I didn't have the disk but do have legit win8 key baked into the bios. I made a usb win 8 install drive using the iso and turned the boot in the bios to legacy to get it to boot off the usb. It installed win 8 without any issue whatsoever without asking once for my product key.

I checked before and after and there is a place where they show the last couple digits of your product key and it matched from lenovo bloatware stock to the clean win 8 I had installed.

I still have the stock bios though. Plan on updating that soon enough.

I updated my bios version to V2.02, then i created the dos bootdisk and placed all the files on the root of the usbstick. (prr, fpt, modded bios) but

when i reboot my Y500 it keeps on looping :s what am i doing wrong? I followed the steps to the letter.

i tried booting using Legacy instead of UEFI but that didn't work either..

Looping? As in rebooting constantly?

---

@All those users complaining about download rights - read the PM you got after registering. Or the rules.

yea it's rebooting constantly with uefi enabled. If i set it too Legacy boot it just freezes when the Lenovo logo appears.

When i remove the usb stick it just boots into Windows 8.

Could it be a problem with the usb stick? When i go navigate to the USB stick in explorer it doesnt show any files other than:

fparts.txt

fpt.exe

prr.exe

v204mod.bin

When i created the USB with the HP tool i selected the 'Win98' folder, not the underlying CDROM folder, could that be causing the problem?

I just flashed my bios to 2.04 and flashed my ultrabay vbios and I was wondering how to overclock. I tried using msi afterburner, evga precision X, and Nvidia Inspector but nothing will let the core speed above +135. Not even making a .bat program for Nvidia inspector will work. A little help here? I just got the newest driver and I am not sure if that is what caused the problem or not.

i7-3630Qm

Nvidia gt 750m sli

Driver version 326.19

@svl7 Regarding Y500 650M SLI: I read all the steps from first post, but I want to ask to be sure. If I'm on v1.05 Bios can I update freely to V2.02? Is there any danger? I only want to overclock with +135mhz and while I am on V1.05 it seems it's impossible. If I use nvidiaInspector the GPU Clock jumps to 924Mhz but the current clock stays the same at 790Mhz no matter what happens. As a side note question: did someone encounter issues on SLI? For example with Nvidia drivers if I go in CS:GO or Dota2, there's immense shaking of the screen, non stop stuttering

@svl7 Regarding Y500 650M SLI: I read all the steps from first post, but I want to ask to be sure. If I'm on v1.05 Bios can I update freely to V2.02? Is there any danger? I only want to overclock with +135mhz and while I am on V1.05 it seems it's impossible. If I use nvidiaInspector the GPU Clock jumps to 924Mhz but the current clock stays the same at 790Mhz no matter what happens. As a side note question: did someone encounter issues on SLI? For example with Nvidia drivers if I go in CS:GO or Dota2, there's immense shaking of the screen, non stop stuttering

You need to run those games as fullscreen borderless windows. Set the games to 1920x1080 windowed and then put "-noborder" (without quotes) in the game launch options in Steam. This will make the jittering go away. This fix works for any game that has this problem in SLI, but you may have to find alternative programs to enable borderless windows in those games if they don't have a built-in method to do so.

I'm getting this error on my y500. I searched around and the only solution I've seen is SL7 helping directly. Anyone know how to fix?

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers