Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

i am having issues updating my previous unlocked bios to the one that allows the adjustment of vbios voltages.

I have tried to return to stock, but the updater utility says that there is a version mismatch. If i do it through FPT.exe I am prompted to a warning about the file being bigger than the writable area (so i am too afraid to do that). And if I try to flash a custom bios pulled off of this website I get error messages saying that the BIOS is locked and cannot be flashed.(something about regions). If i could just go back to stock and start over with the backup dump and patching that would be perfect, but since there is a 3MB discrepency in the sizes i'm afraid to brick my laptop

You can do the whole procedure perfectly well from your modified bios. Just follow the instructions. Create a backup etc. It will work even if your BIOS is already modified.

Hello TechInferno!,

This is my first post in this forums. Iv'e had my Lenovo y500 for 9 months now and I've been bothered by the weak Atheros WiFi card.

I've just bought an Intel 6230 advance for a change and I need the BIOS MOD for this laptop :)

(P.S I bought that because that's the only card that fits my budget even though I want the 7XXX series of Intel)

Thanks and hope to learn more from this thread about this amazing laptop :)

It might work, but nobody wanted to test it so far...

I can repeat it again, if an SLI user wants to test it - flashing only the ultrabay GPU shouldn't do any harm, it's very likely that you will be able to flash back anyway since you still have the on-board GPU.

Can't force anyone to test it, I don't have a system to try it myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder why there are no any possibilities for converting gt650m to gt750m completely all the way?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Do you want GPU-Z and Nvidia Inspector to say 750M, or do you want the actual performance of the 750M? Because you can simply use the modded 2.04 BIOS to raise voltage to 1.125 V, which matches the 750M, and overclock from there. The VRAM on the 650M will rarely clock as high as on the 750M because AFAIK the 750M uses different, higher-frequency GDDR5 modules.

Hi all,

I've just checked my Bios version. I'm at v1.03.

Should i just follow the steps on page 1 and upgrade to 2.04?

sorry for so many question, this is my first Bios mod for a laptop.

Thanks T.I!

Yes you need to update to 2.02 official via the Lenovo leak and then to 2.04 modded. Follow the instructions in the OP carefully and if you have any questions at all ask here before blundering on ahead, it can save you a lot of grief during the process.

Yes you need to update to 2.02 official via the Lenovo leak and then to 2.04 modded. Follow the instructions in the OP carefully and if you have any questions at all ask here before blundering on ahead, it can save you a lot of grief during the process.

Thanks sir.

also I have the model y500 650m SLI. Is 2.04 compatible?

Im at 2.02 now. Had problem booting in UEFI mode. Changed it to Legacy and it booted into windows. Is this okay?

What OS do you have? And was it a UEFI or legacy installation?

If it's the preloaded Windows 8 it should have no problems booting in UEFI, that's what it's designed for. Even if you switch boot mode to Legacy you still have to choose UEFI First (as opposed to Legacy First), otherwise it won't even enter Windows because it can't load the proper EFI boot files.

What OS do you have? And was it a UEFI or legacy installation?

If it's the preloaded Windows 8 it should have no problems booting in UEFI, that's what it's designed for. Even if you switch boot mode to Legacy you still have to choose UEFI First (as opposed to Legacy First), otherwise it won't even enter Windows because it can't load the proper EFI boot files.

This is a windows 8 pro version that i used for clean install. I just made a new windows 8 single language from the core volume and i will use that to format my laptop after bios mod.

I already did the 2nd step which is to make a usb dos bootable drive. I dont know how to backup my BIOS and get my serial key. any help would be great.

I'm clicking the backup.bat with admin previlages but it just flashes something in CMD i cannot even see if it has backed up.

Any help would be great

This is a windows 8 pro version that i used for clean install. I just made a new windows 8 single language from the core volume and i will use that to format my laptop after bios mod.

I already did the 2nd step which is to make a usb dos bootable drive. I dont know how to backup my BIOS and get my serial key. any help would be great.

I'm clicking the backup.bat with admin previlages but it just flashes something in CMD i cannot even see if it has backed up.

Any help would be great

My Y500 is also running a copy of Windows 8 Pro that I clean installed. I did a UEFI installation from a FAT32-formatted USB flash drive. I have no problems booting in UEFI mode. In fact, I purposely did a UEFI installation and formatted my HDD as GPT for the benefits such as better boot times and more partitions.

As for the BIOS backup, you need to right-click on fptw64.exe, check "Run this program as an administrator" under the Compatibility tab, and then double-click on backup.bat. It will automatically generate a backup of your current BIOS in the same folder.

I can't be of any more help tonight as I need to go to bed. If you have any other questions, others may be able to answer them for you, otherwise I will see them tomorrow morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Y500 is also running a copy of Windows 8 Pro that I clean installed. I did a UEFI installation from a FAT32-formatted USB flash drive. I have no problems booting in UEFI mode. In fact, I purposely did a UEFI installation and formatted my HDD as GPT for the benefits such as better boot times and more partitions.

As for the BIOS backup, you need to right-click on fptw64.exe, check "Run this program as an administrator" under the Compatibility tab, and then double-click on backup.bat. It will automatically generate a backup of your current BIOS in the same folder.

I can't be of any more help tonight as I need to go to bed. If you have any other questions, others may be able to answer them for you, otherwise I will see them tomorrow morning.

Thank you very much octiceps!

still cant backup @_@ .

im going to read more on later pages

Hello ALL,

I am getting Error 284: Fail to load driver (PCI access for Windows) >> (also tried with admin previlage ) it says "fptw64.exe is not recognized....." in the backup section. I tried using the DOS version but it wont work as well.

any help would be appreciated

UPDATE: Also tried with win7 compatibility. still a no go.

tried running fptw64.exe first then clicking the backup.bat , still none. Sorry this is my first time modding a BIOS

HELP :02:

It's probably your AV software that blocks that driver. Either this or you need to run it as admin. Try again with the AV disabled.

Hi SVL7!

Got it working, Octiceps was right you need to go to properties and apply " run as admin " .

I think when you are clicking the backup.bat it opens another instance of the software that is not previlaged by the admin.

Thanks a lot for both of your work, will now try to flash 2.04!

Hope nothing goes wrong!

UPDATE:

Got to install bios mod v2.04 :D

next is the vcard vbios :D

Update my lenovo y500 bios to 2.04. insert intel 6250, veiw all wifi network but can't connect to any one. Latest drivers installed. Where problem

Just updated mine too. Installed 6230N all 3 of my connection works. Maybe need restart? or restart routers?

Hi to all

I'm trying to enter the bios setting by pressing the "Novo" key when the y500 is turned off and I can't. I'm doing something wrong or I missed something?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Restart laptop, And press F2 when it is about to start :) And what is the "novo" key?

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi to all

I'm trying to enter the bios setting by pressing the "Novo" key when the y500 is turned off and I can't. I'm doing something wrong or I missed something?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Sounds like your Novo button is broken. When the laptop is turned off and you press it, It's supposed to take you to a menu where you can choose between normal startup, enter BIOS setup, boot options, and OneKey Recovery.

Restart laptop, And press F2 when it is about to start :) And what is the "novo" key?

The Novo button is the little button on the left side by the power jack. It's got an arrow symbol that looks like an upside-down U.

• Thumbs Up 1