Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I can't believe you complain about performance in DOTA 2 of all games with the Y500, especially considering how high you overclock. The metal above the left side vent does get extremely hot under load but fortunately it has never been a problem for me as my hand never wanders there. You could probably keep the GPU at stock and turn off ThrottleStop, which would solve the heat issue, and still get well over 60 FPS in DOTA 2. Also many large mSATA SSD's are identical in price and performance to their 2.5" counterparts (e.g. Plextor M5M, Crucial M4 & M500).

But to each their own I guess. Enjoy that briefcase, er I mean laptop, and don't hurt yourself when carrying it around. ;)

@the 750m SLI flashers who get errors... try flashing with the Windows version of nvflash.

Use the latest version that I posted in the desktop section of the forums, and if it doesn't work try forcing it with -4 -6

I have already tried that. I am getting same error as with DOS version.

I can't believe you complain about performance in DOTA 2 of all games with the Y500, especially considering how high you overclock. The metal above the left side vent does get extremely hot under load but fortunately it has never been a problem for me as my hand never wanders there. You could probably keep the GPU at stock and turn off ThrottleStop, which would solve the heat issue, and still get well over 60 FPS in DOTA 2. Also many large mSATA SSD's are identical in price and performance to their 2.5" counterparts (e.g. Plextor M5M, Crucial M4 & M500).

But to each their own I guess. Enjoy that briefcase, er I mean laptop, and don't hurt yourself when carrying it around. ;)

I totally agree there. I recently forced throttlestop as well booming to 100C even with a 3632QM. With Lenovo's power management of the turbo boost I barely reach 70-80C on the CPU leaving a big gap to overclock.

But I noticed the GPU is always very close or identical to CPU temp, which makes me really not want to force turbo when overclocking the GPU. For my Planetside 2 and other CPU games work fine without turbo at 2.2ghz base clock

It's still hot. I hope Lenovo would modify the BIOS to have a more aggressive fan profile for the main heatsink. Crucial M4 256GB cost 200. If I add 100 to that, I can get the Samsung 840 500GB. On BHphotovideo, the msata M500 240GB cost 227.50. The regular M500 240GB cost 199.99. That's a difference of more than 10%.

Ideally to go all out I'd want to get the Crucial M500 960GB but it's seriously out of stock everywhere. I'm not sure if I can persuade a relative of my friend who's an engineer at Micron to get me one. It's not the performance that I dislike, it's the heat. I keep the CPU at 2.4GHz now when I play Dota 2. Otherwise it gets unbearable. On the other hand, on some other games where I can use the SLI GPU, it's not as hot even if I force ThrottleStop.

750m SLI with the flash error can try this.

It works now thanks.

i cant get overvolted to correct specified voltages on nvidiainspector. i overvolted my gpu core to +150mv so it supposed to be 1.15v in voltage catogory but its showing 1.075v voltage at max load. yes i am getting few fps decrease from previous jester's 1.1v overvolt mod and 3dmark11 score are way behind. what might be the problem can someone help me out? heres the screenshot of nvidia inspector

http://img.techpowerup.org/130711/nvidia_20130711_194100.png

Yeah, the offset is off, I don't have a machine to test that stuff myself, I'll fix it when I get the chance, but it really doesn't matter.

See my post here, it behaves similarly, but it has no effect when it comes to the functionality: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-48.html#post57020

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the offset is off, I don't have a machine to test that stuff myself, I'll fix it when I get the chance, but it really doesn't matter.

See my post here, it behaves similarly, but it has no effect when it comes to the functionality: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-48.html#post57020

so are u tell me that the stock values are reading wrong on your latest bios mods

because i increase the volts to +225 to get it to 1.15 volts

So If I have the bios version 2.04 that means I can use the modded bios you supplied on the first page of the thread right? Also what new things other than unlocking the gpu does this mod do. Thanks

.....because cards in a multi-GPU setup need to match clocks....

I'm not sure that's the case? I've been tinkering over the last few days with my OCing for the first time. I've noticed that I can push my internal 650m core up +360 without concern and stability issues, but on the Ultrabay 650 my system starts hard-locking at +270. I've played games just fine using an asynchronous +360/+270 to core on internal/Ultrabay respectively without noticing problems, even scoring 4600 in 3Dmark11. Hmm..... I'm not done playing around though.

EDIT: I've confirmed that I score better pushing the one card higher than keeping them in tandem. This is my first foray into SLI configurations though... I'm also going to play around a bit in Unigine Heaven.

Does this bios unlock also allows to use HD 4000 graphics or its just for overcklocking?

Didn't find the answer in first few pages.

Thanks

No. Not possible. Sorry.

Anyone tried the 802.11ac/a/b/g/n wifi cards on Y500?

I am about to pull the trigger on Intel 7260 wifi card HMC (PROVANTAGE: Intel 7260.HMWG Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 2X2 AC+BT HMC)

It is the correct model and it can replace the stock 2230- card and it has BT 4.0 too.

The only problem might be the antenna, will it be able to tackle the 5Ghz channels?

Or will i have to buy new antennae too?

I have one on order, and yes it should work.

so are u tell me that the stock values are reading wrong on your latest bios mods

because i increase the volts to +225 to get it to 1.15 volts

No. Did you read my post? The voltage reading is okay, the only thing that's a bit off is the base of the slider, and it doesn't matter. Since I don't have a system I can't tell you how much it is off, the voltage won't change until you get above a certain value on the slider. It's easy to figure out, put some load on the GPU and monitor the voltage. Add voltage in 12.5mV steps and hit apply, once the voltage starts to change you know how much the base of the slider is off.

I've got the 650m SLI Y500 v2.02 BIOs with stock voltages.

Card 1 - Internal:

ASIC: 81.1%

Core: 1150

Mem: 2220

Card 2 - Ultrabay

ASIC: 61.9%

Core: 1050

3DMark 11: P4646

Heaven: 454

Temps not past 70C usually.

I've concluded that it's a great performance increase overall, but clearly the ASIC quality of my Ultrabay GPU hinders the overall potential of my overclock. Maybe I can try to get another...

Still happy, and definitely noticeably smoother in more intense games.

I've got the 650m SLI Y500 v2.02 BIOs with stock voltages.

Card 1 - Internal:

ASIC: 81.1%

Core: 1150

Card 2 - Ultrabay

ASIC: 61.9%

Core: 1050

3DMark 11: P4646

Heaven: 454

Temps not past 70C usually.

I've concluded that it's a great performance increase overall, but clearly the ASIC quality of my Ultrabay GPU hinders the overall potential of my overclock. Maybe I can try to get another...

Still happy, and definitely noticeably smoother in more intense games.

Hmmm..are you sure the lower-clocked GPU is not limiting the higher-clocked one? Because I get around P4900 3DMark 11 and 470 Unigine Heaven at 1120/2250. Even though you are able to run the two cards with asynchronous clock speeds, it's possible that the faster one may just be downclocking to match speeds with the slower one in the actual benchmark. It would be useful if you have a GPU overlay running during the benchmark to confirm. Also, you could try clocking both GPU's at 1050 core and see if you get the same scores.

I do run with an overlay from inspector to ensure the clocks are reaching correctly and temperature over sustained periods are fine.

These are what I got from 3D Mark11:

Stock clocks:

post-12096-14494995691979_thumb.png

Ultrabay OC at numbers above, stock internal:

post-12096-14494995691774_thumb.png

Both at OC:

post-12096-14494995692146_thumb.png

The difference is quite noticeable, and the low ASIC of my Ultrabay GPU bothers me because it's most clearly limiting potential, though thankfully not as much as if they had to be synced.

With my testing I can't seem to get past the numbers above on core or mem too too much without Heaven or my drivers crashing on me at some point during the short benchmark. When I was testing my OC with Skyrim I was getting artefacts if I went higher, but hard system lock-ups much more frequently.

EDIT: I can see in those pics the physics score going down, the CPU is likely throttling a little bit.

I do run with an overlay from inspector to ensure the clocks are reaching correctly and temperature over sustained periods are fine.

These are what I got from 3D Mark11:

Stock clocks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8261[/ATTACH]

Ultrabay OC at numbers above, stock internal:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8260[/ATTACH]

Both at OC:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8262[/ATTACH]

The difference is quite noticeable, and the low ASIC of my Ultrabay GPU bothers me because it's most clearly limiting potential, though thankfully not as much as if they had to be synced.

With my testing I can't seem to get past the numbers above on core or mem too too much without Heaven or my drivers crashing on me at some point during the short benchmark. When I was testing my OC with Skyrim I was getting artefacts if I went higher, but hard system lock-ups much more frequently.

EDIT: I can see in those pics the physics score going down, the CPU is likely throttling a little bit.

Yeah just noticed that your Physics score is 1000 points lower than mine. That will lower your overall score a bit as well. Are you using ThrottleStop?

I'll give it a shot with Throttlestop later. I had it downloaded it, but my mind wasn't wrapping around proper usage that late at night heh.

I'll do another final go tomorrow using it, I'm curious about how adversely it'd affect my temps.

I'll give it a shot with Throttlestop later. I had it downloaded it, but my mind wasn't wrapping around proper usage that late at night heh.

I'll do another final go tomorrow using it, I'm curious about how adversely it'd affect my temps.

I'm surprised you've only just started overclocking the GPU and using ThrottleStop after having the laptop for this long. The CPU throttling was one of the first things I noticed when I started using the laptop. Using ThrottleStop will increase CPU temperatures by a lot since it is increasing the clock speed from 2.4 GHz to 3.2 GHz (basically turning Turbo Boost on whereas throttling would cause it to turn off before). If your CPU was already getting into the 70's and 80's without ThrottleStop then having it on will likely push temperatures into the danger zone. Depending on how CPU-limited your games are you might find the tradeoff in heat to be worth it. For example, in Battlefield 3 and PlanetSide 2 I get a big boost so I leave it on.

Yeah, I've been busy in many aspects of my life, I haven't even really had a lot of time to play games yet. Annoying, but I figure I've got time.

I'm thinking using Throttlestop for games such as Morrowind and The Witcher that are not compatible with SLI and are very CPU limited would be best. I'll attempt to make my Ultrabay GPU the primary maybe in order to see if heat stays away.

Thats a pretty good idea if it works.

Yeah, I've been busy in many aspects of my life, I haven't even really had a lot of time to play games yet. Annoying, but I figure I've got time.

I'm thinking using Throttlestop for games such as Morrowind and The Witcher that are not compatible with SLI and are very CPU limited would be best. I'll attempt to make my Ultrabay GPU the primary maybe in order to see if heat stays away.