Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

A final dumb question - does anyone happen to have a copy of the legacy Y500Fix? I'm flashing one of jester_socom's custom BIOSes but can't preprocess it since the only files being distributed are per-version versions of the Y500Fix - presumably with specific BIOSes embedded inside.

A final dumb question - does anyone happen to have a copy of the legacy Y500Fix? I'm flashing one of jester_socom's custom BIOSes but can't preprocess it since the only files being distributed are per-version versions of the Y500Fix - presumably with specific BIOSes embedded inside.

You mean svl7's old command prompt BIOS Fixer tool? I have a backup of it I can send you but I'm away from my computer right now so it'll be in a few hours. svl7 can probably provide it too.

You mean svl7's old command prompt BIOS Fixer tool? I have a backup of it I can send you but I'm away from my computer right now so it'll be in a few hours. svl7 can probably provide it too.

That's the one - it let you input any file so so wished, if I remember - thanks in advance.

What was wrong with it? I used it to flash three different laptops without problems.

the bios flashing is a success! man it's like a whole new world blasted into your face with this mod, so much locked stuff! :Banane17:

BTW in the thermal settings(?) does changing the fan speed setting of low makes something happen?

and kudos and thanks to @svl7 @octiceps and @Kamnnoriel !!! gonna flash the vbios now for more oc awesomesauce

I haven't been able to successfully flash the newer 750 bios on the ultrabay card.

I get the following result when calling "nvflash -6 -i1 vbiosOC.rom" This is in the windows version 5.134 as 5.128 refused to even attempt flashing and said I needed a newer version to flash that firmware.

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.134)

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: N14P-GT (10DE,0FE4,17AA,3802) H:--:NRM B:02,PCI,D:00,F:00

Current - Version:80.07.95.00.1A ID:10DE:0FE4:17AA:3802

GK107 Board - 2044nb3q (Normal Board)

Replace with - Version:80.07.9D.00.11 ID:10DE:0FE4:17AA:3802

Update display adapter firmware?

Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort): y

The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds or more during the up

date process depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (C2,2012) : MX MX25L2005 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page

ERROR: PCI Block corrupted - size mismatch

I am able to flash the previous version of the 750 firmware, but it doesn't seem to remove the 135 limit on the ultrabay card so I flashed it back to my original vbios.

Anyone else have any trouble with it?

Also considering purchasing the Killer N1202 to put into my Y400. It came last month with version 2.02 installed from Lenovo. Just to clarify since I am a computer noob. If I download the modded version 2.02, this will allow me to add the killer N card to the machine without issues, correct? Thanks again. Great mod.

I haven't been able to successfully flash the newer 750 bios on the ultrabay card.

I get the following result when calling "nvflash -6 -i1 vbiosOC.rom" This is in the windows version 5.134 as 5.128 refused to even attempt flashing and said I needed a newer version to flash that firmware.

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.134)

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: N14P-GT (10DE,0FE4,17AA,3802) H:--:NRM B:02,PCI,D:00,F:00

Current - Version:80.07.95.00.1A ID:10DE:0FE4:17AA:3802

Replace with - Version:80.07.9D.00.11 ID:10DE:0FE4:17AA:3802

Update display adapter firmware?

Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort): y

The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds or more during the up

date process depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (C2,2012) : MX MX25L2005 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page

ERROR: PCI Block corrupted - size mismatch

I am able to flash the previous version of the 750 firmware, but it doesn't seem to remove the 135 limit on the ultrabay card so I flashed it back to my original vbios.

Anyone else have any trouble with it?

did you enter [ nvflash iX -r] before flashing the vbios? i had problems when i didn't enter that command before flashing. and please check if the vbios you have downloaded is the correct one

- - - Updated - - -

Also considering purchasing the Killer N1202 to put into my Y400. It came last month with version 2.02 installed from Lenovo. Just to clarify since I am a computer noob. If I download the modded version 2.02, this will allow me to add the killer N card to the machine without issues, correct? Thanks again. Great mod.

yes , the bios mod removes the whitelist that idiot lenovo put into the bios

Can anyone bypass the idle speeds of the GPU's in battery through the BIOS? i want to run it at least at 300/600 so that i can play at low settings on battery. This laptop is awesome but we should game a bit on battery not always chained to the power outlet

Yeah, I used the -r command first. Like I said, I can flash one of the two 750 firmwares, just not the newer one. The one I can flash doesn't seem to remove the 135 limit that I can tell.

Try the latest nvflash: http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/3827-latest-nvflash-windows-dos.html

Can anyone bypass the idle speeds of the GPU's in battery through the BIOS? i want to run it at least at 300/600 so that i can play at low settings on battery. This laptop is awesome but we should game a bit on battery not always chained to the power outlet

Not very healthy for the battery, but Nvidia Inspector will probably allow you to do so. It's not a good idea for a bios mod to change the 2d profile because it will drain the battery a lot faster even when not gaming.

Try the latest nvflash: http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/3827-latest-nvflash-windows-dos.html

Not very healthy for the battery, but Nvidia Inspector will probably allow you to do so. It's not a good idea for a bios mod to change the 2d profile because it will drain the battery a lot faster even when not gaming.

how can i do it through Nvidia inspector please:01:

I have been reading a lot of questions regarding how to over-volt. However with this mod would it be possible to under-volt the 750m? The main reason is I don't have an AC, it hot these days and would prefer a much lower idle temperature than 50C! I think the cards are more than enough to run the games I play even at a lower clock rate.

I have been reading a lot of questions regarding how to over-volt. However with this mod would it be possible to under-volt the 750m? The main reason is I don't have an AC, it hot these days and would prefer a much lower idle temperature than 50C! I think the cards are more than enough to run the games I play even at a lower clock rate.

you can underclock via MSI Afterburner and Nvidia Inspector even when not modded (correct me if i am wrong)

My SLI had stopped working after I installed the mod. Although I had no OC plans I actually ended up installing the modified vbios as well which didn't help.

Anyway all I had to do was go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Set SLI & Physics Configuration > Disable SLI and then set it back to Maximize 3D Performance. Just putting it out there incase someone else gets the same problem.

I tried a cursory search but couldn't find an answer - does the unlocked BIOS have hot plug options for the sata ports? I turned my ultrabay into an eSATA port, which of course works with a drive connected/powered on boot - but if I can enable hot-swapping, that would definitely make it more convenient. Since this is the only feature I'm interested in, I'm reluctant to flash my BIOS sight unseen.