Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

The N-1202 costs like 47.99 on Amazon and the AC-7260 is about the same price (eBay at least) but I'm not so sure if it'll work well since it's kinda "new" in the market (and it'll probably have driver related issues), what I want to know if it'll be better than the N-1202, I mostly game on this notebook so if the AC-7260 performs better than the N-1202 I'll probably upgrade to it :) .

If you're gonna game on WiFi a lot definitely get the Killer Wireless-N. Also do yourself a favor and get a good dual-band router, otherwise you're kinda putting that Killer to waste. AnandTech did a review on the 1102 (exact same as 1202 but without Bluetooth) before and it clearly came out on top among competing solutions. The AC 7260 is very new so there aren't any reviews but I doubt it will beat the 1202 in gaming.

My country has Belgacom BBOX2 most crappy routers ever. Limited to 802.11g and 100Mb/s I am never able to get my ASUS EAN66 running at 450Mb/s probably because of the 100Mb/s limit. I'm stuck with 54Mb/s

But if u want a supported card. A 6300 Ultimate-N will do from Intel.

If you buy the 6235 you get bluetooth. But this card was kinda unstable with every driver. Partially because of Windows fast boot. Having Bluetooth AMP turned on with this card resulted into BSODs with ntfs.sys. What doesn't make sense. But believe me I found the link after watching it for 3 months.

The 2230 has indeed a very high ping.

- - - Updated - - -

Has someone sent svl7 the 2.04 version already ?

My country has Belgacom BBOX2 most crappy routers ever. Limited to 802.11g and 100Mb/s I am never able to get my ASUS EAN66 running at 450Mb/s probably because of the 100Mb/s limit. I'm stuck with 54Mb/s

If you buy the 6235 you get bluetooth. But this card was kinda unstable with every driver. Partially because of Windows fast boot. Having Bluetooth AMP turned on with this card resulted into BSODs with ntfs.sys. What doesn't make sense. But believe me I found the link after watching it for 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Has someone sent svl7 the 2.04 version already ?

Not sure the 6300 will do a good job, some people have reported that you have to disable wireless LAN in the BIOS, restart, and then enable it again so it will be able to connect to a network.

If you're gonna game on WiFi a lot definitely get the Killer Wireless-N. Also do yourself a favor and get a good dual-band router, otherwise you're kinda putting that Killer to waste. AnandTech did a review on the 1102 (exact same as 1202 but without Bluetooth) before and it clearly came out on top among competing solutions. The AC 7260 is very new so there aren't any reviews but I doubt it will beat the 1202 in gaming.

what's the difference between the qualcom atheros and this killer wireless-n if i may ask?

how can i backup my bios? i am stuck on this problem please help

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7918[/ATTACH]

BTW in "Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:" should the USB pen drive be empty?

You're in Windows 7? You need to navigate to the folder where your fpt tool is, you're currently in the system32 folder... If you don't know how to use the cd command to do so, then just go to the folder where you saved the fpt, shift+right click and then "open command window here".

The USB drive will get formatted, if it had files on it before they will be erased afterwards.

how can i backup my bios? i am stuck on this problem please help

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7918[/ATTACH]

BTW in "Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:" should the USB pen drive be empty?

I know there's a betterr way to do this, but if you pay attention to the pic, the root folder where it is expecting to open the fpt.exe is system32, so what I did was simply copy all the fpt folder's content to system32, after that I opened the backup.bat and it worked :). The BIOS's backup was created in the same folder (system32). I repeat, I know that's not the correct way to do it, but at least it worked for me :). PS: sorry for my english.

kudos my friend. Don't worry i also suck at english haha and in Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:" should the USB pen drive be empty? What I mean here is AFTER the format with the utility and the whole win98 folder thing because AFTER this my USB is empty after the format

kudos my friend. Don't worry i also suck at english haha and in Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:" should the USB pen drive be empty? What I mean here is AFTER the format with the utility and the whole win98 folder thing because AFTER this my USB is empty after the format

It's better to backup all the pendrive's content before formatting it with the DOS formatting tool, and of course, after you format the pendrive with that tool it'll be empty, so there you have to copy the 98 files and paste them inside de pendrive (after de DOS format is complete), then keep following the main guide and you'll be ready to format :). hope this helps you :)

- - - Updated - - -

You're in Windows 7? You need to navigate to the folder where your fpt tool is, you're currently in the system32 folder... If you don't know how to use the cd command to do so, then just go to the folder where you saved the fpt, shift+right click and then "open command window here".

The USB drive will get formatted, if it had files on it before they will be erased afterwards.

Hey svl7 after I flashed the custom v 2.02 BIOS on the Y400 I'm not able to use Bluetooth....it doesn't detect it. Do you know how to re-enable it? Or the modded BIOS disables the Bluetooth feature completely? Perhaps I did something wrong while flashing

Hey svl7 after I flashed the custom v 2.02 BIOS on the Y400 I'm not able to use Bluetooth....it doesn't detect it. Do you know how to re-enable it? Or the modded BIOS disables the Bluetooth feature completely? Perhaps I did something wrong while flashing

Try restarting the system. There's a bug with Windows 8 where Bluetooth disappears when you put the computer to sleep, hibernate, or use hybrid shutdown. The only way to get it back is to restart the system or perform a full shutdown and boot. It has nothing to do with the BIOS mod.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try restarting the system. There's a bug with Windows 8 where Bluetooth disappears when you put the computer to sleep, hibernate, or use hybrid shutdown. The only way to get it back is to restart the system or perform a full shutdown and boot. It has nothing to do with the BIOS mod.

what do you mean by doing a full shutdown? you mean removing the battery and disconnecting it from AC? because if it's justa normal reboot then it doesn't work...

what do you mean by doing a full shutdown? you mean removing the battery and disconnecting it from AC? because if it's justa normal reboot then it doesn't work...

No I mean shutting down after unchecking this option:

post-10698-14494995548938_thumb.png

thank you, will report back after i've done this. BTW whats the worst that could happen if i mod my bios?

If you don't mess with things you're not sure about probably you'll brick your notebook, else than that nothing bad could happen :), and if by some reason you have to send it back to Lenovo try to flash back your BIOS backup :) (I'm not sure if you can do this)

• Thumbs Up 1

If you don't mess with things you're not sure about probably you'll brick your notebook, else than that nothing bad could happen :), and if by some reason you have to send it back to Lenovo try to flash back your BIOS backup :) (I'm not sure if you can do this)

okie dokie thanks again for assisting me my friend

EDIT: okay now i can't boot into my USB these are the files' placements and i formatted the USB with the tool and have USB boot enabled in the BIOS so please tell me what is wrong

post-12787-14494995549301_thumb.jpg

EDIT: okay now i can't boot into my USB these are the files' placements and i formatted the USB with the tool and have USB boot enabled in the BIOS so please tell me what is wrong

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7920[/ATTACH]

Go into BIOS and change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. Now you should be able to boot from USB.

Also, why do have the win98_files you used to create the bootable USB? It should just be the 4 files if you followed the instructions correctly. Anyway, it doesn't affect anything, but I just thought it was kind of weird.

• Thumbs Up 3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7920[/ATTACH]

Sorry I made a mistake, you don't have to copy the 98 files into the pendrive, just the requested ones as the main guide. The 98 files folder is only required for formatting the USB for DOS. Do as octiceps says :).

• Thumbs Up 1

I know there's a betterr way to do this, but if you pay attention to the pic, the root folder where it is expecting to open the fpt.exe is system32, so what I did was simply copy all the fpt folder's content to system32, after that I opened the backup.bat and it worked :). The BIOS's backup was created in the same folder (system32). I repeat, I know that's not the correct way to do it, but at least it worked for me :). PS: sorry for my english.

Yeah... it works. But that's just horrible really, I think I would scream if I ever saw someone doing it like this. Maybe I need to write a guide that covers the basic concept of command line usage...

Should the USB pen drive be empty? What I mean here is AFTER the format with the utility and the whole win98 folder thing because AFTER this my USB is empty after the format

Yes, it will show as empty, cause the boot files are hidden.

• Thumbs Up 1

my y400 came with version 1.4?

I removed the old versions since there's an update to v2.02. I recommend using the update and then flashing the mod.

If there's a particular reason for staying on 1.04 then let me know and I might re-upload the obsolete versions again.