Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Yesterday I updated my Bios to version 2.02 and I find that my both gpu's cloak speed is stuck to 135 mhz on AC and doesn't seem to go to the default speed of 790. I also tried nvidia inspector to boost it up in hope to fix it but it didn't work. Also I tried making a clean install of the drivers and nothing changed. Any ideas how I can fix this and use my laptop normally?

I found where the problem comes - the lenovo energy management program. If i use maximum battery life (I use windows 7 for that matter) it's okay, but if use optimized battery health, seems to be stuck only to 135 Mhz. How I revert back to bios 1.05 version?

Yesterday I updated my Bios to version 2.02 and I find that my both gpu's cloak speed is stuck to 135 mhz on AC and doesn't seem to go to the default speed of 790. I also tried nvidia inspector to boost it up in hope to fix it but it didn't work. Also I tried making a clean install of the drivers and nothing changed. Any ideas how I can fix this and use my laptop normally?

This may sound unrelated, but do you have Lenovo's energy management software installed? You should if you left your system stock (or redownloaded all the drivers after a reformat/Win7 install).

Anyway, in Lenovo Energy Management, make sure you are using "Battery Fully-Charged Mode" or else the laptop's GPUs gets stuck in the p8 state @ 135/135 clocks. I have no idea why that setting would affect the graphics cards power state, but hopefully it resolves your problem.

Does anyone have any info on 2.03 working with this? I don't want to try it and break it until it's confirmed working. I went through a few pages and found nothing :/

You have a Y500/Y400 with 2.03? Or the new Y510p/Y410p? I thought 2.02 was the most recent BIOS revision for the Y500/Y400 but I could be wrong.

2.03 has not been modded yet. You would need to submit your BIOS file to svl7 so he can perform his magic on it. Don't try to flash 2.02 on top of your 2.03 because that would be bad. The BIOS version would change to 2.02 but the EC version would stay at 2.03. So just be patient and your version should be modded in due time.

This may sound unrelated, but do you have Lenovo's energy management software installed? You should if you left your system stock (or redownloaded all the drivers after a reformat/Win7 install).

Anyway, in Lenovo Energy Management, make sure you are using "Battery Fully-Charged Mode" or else the laptop's GPUs gets stuck in the p8 state @ 135/135 clocks. I have no idea why that setting would affect the graphics cards power state, but hopefully it resolves your problem.

I do have it installed, I also tried the one for win 8, which works but has the same effect. Appearntly I've got this issue, because I updated my BIOS which probably is more win8 related rather than ver. 1.05 which came from the factory with. My clock system worked fine with the "battery optimized health" before the updated the BIOS and something went terribly wrong with the energy management, so my guess is that I need to switch back to my old BIOS and the big question - Is there a safe way to do that ?

You have a Y500/Y400 with 2.03? Or the new Y510p/Y410p? I thought 2.02 was the most recent BIOS revision for the Y500/Y400 but I could be wrong.

2.03 has not been modded yet. You would need to submit your BIOS file to svl7 so he can perform his magic on it. Don't try to flash 2.02 on top of your 2.03 because that would be bad. The BIOS version would change to 2.02 but the EC version would stay at 2.03. So just be patient and your version should be modded in due time.

Thanks for the reply

I have a Y500 with 2.03. Just got it due to mine having a motherboard replaced and having parts shortage. My old one was 2.02, this one is 2.03.

How would I go about getting my BIOS copied to a file to send?

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to copy it and sent svl7 a PM. Thanks again!

I found where the problem comes - the lenovo energy management program. If i use maximum battery life (I use windows 7 for that matter) it's okay, but if use optimized battery health, seems to be stuck only to 135 Mhz. How I revert back to bios 1.05 version?

When you use optimized battery in leonovo energy management, then the system starting discharge your battery and after the battery reach 60% ur GPUs go up full speed.

This is because the battery dosent have enough power for SLI at full speed.

I wanted to know, how much can I safely overclock them to, would 1150-1200 Mhz be reasonable?

Cooling isn't a problem for me because of the area I live in and the air con in my house, so the GPUs go to like 42-47C under 100%

Anyways, thanks for all the help involving the overclocking.

Can wait to try this!

FC3 on new drivers runs almost at max at 1680x1050, seems I'll be able to max it out soon enough :xena_banana:. Probably gonna keep it around 950 mhz since my homemade laptop cooler only cools it a couple c.

Yes I am aware of this, however the AC is already plugged in when i try this. Today I figured something else - If the battery is out, then there is no problem with the clock speeds and I can move them however I want. But when I put the battery inside, Im stuck to 135 Mhz and doesn't seem to go above that even if I force it to overclock. Thats odd. Has anyone stepped on this one?

I have the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 mini-pcie card and want to see if it works with the Y500 (with modified bios). Anyone else tried it?

Works fine so far in 802.11n 2.4/5GHz in Windows 8 (no Windows 7 drivers yet, I tried installing the Win8 drivers in Win7, but it wouldn't find the card). I don't have 802.11ac router, so I can't confirm if that is working.

ARK | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

1. Can we flash the original BIOS whenever we feel like and yes it is obvious that it will stop the non-whitelisted card to work

2. Can we flash the BIOS and just get the whitelist removed with no extra options in the BIOS which can kill the laptop if treated improperly?

Thanks

Any updates on 2.03/2.04? Any chance we are going to see these anytime soon? Or at least a downgrade guide to 2.02

agreed, had to send my y500 back as it had a blue line halfway done the screen, but when my new one arrives would love to see a 2.04 whitelist removal

First post ya'll,

I will enjoy learning the content of this thread. while i get started, is there any videos showing the different changes for bios?

A particular interest is possible changes to allow OS X.

great forum