Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

So I've been trying to look but I cant see the pictures yet (need more posts) but can you disable/enable the charger in the modified bios? And has anyone heard of the issue with the "Battery Meter Reset" feature breaking this?

Here are some pictures to compare for any superficial differences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7568[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7569[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7570[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7571[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7572[/ATTACH]

There are no superficial differences...

I think your gpu died. Go to the bios and disable switchable graphics. Its probably because you forced the turbo boost and were always close to 90-100C. Flash stock bios and vbios and call lenovo. Tell them you play planetside 2 and your temps were very high all the time and your cpu was 100C a lot. Kepler should be treated like a woman with care :) i guess i am not goig to overclock anymore now reading this. Opticeps if you need advice mail me. Worst case is that lenovo will notice and u need new motherboard. I think your cpu is fine. But the gpu is burnt.

I think your gpu died. Go to the bios and disable switchable graphics. Its probably because you forced the turbo boost and were always close to 90-100C. Flash stock bios and vbios and call lenovo. Tell them you play planetside 2 and your temps were very high all the time and your cpu was 100C a lot. Kepler should be treated like a woman with care :) i guess i am not goig to overclock anymore now reading this. Opticeps if you need advice mail me. Worst case is that lenovo will notice and u need new motherboard. I think your cpu is fine. But the gpu is burnt.

Right...So my GPU died because it never went over 80C and was never overvolted like so many other people have done without issues? You know Ivy Bridge can run up to 130C without damage right? Look at how hard @kh90123 is pushing his rig. Did his die yet? Can you just shut up and stop scaremongering and speculating about things you don't even know about? 'Cause it's really NUNYA damn business and I don't need any of your so-called advice. I know what I was doing and if a component dies while operating well within its safe limits then that should tell you something.

And for crying out loud why are you telling me how to deal with Lenovo on this issue? That's between Lenovo and me. I don't see your name listed at tech support.

Right...So my GPU died because it never went over 80C and was never overvolted like so many other people have done without issues? You know Ivy Bridge can run up to 130C without damage right? Look at how hard @kh90123 is pushing his rig. Did his die yet? Can you just shut up and stop scaremongering and speculating about things you don't even know about? 'Cause it's really NUNYA damn business and I don't need any of your so-called advice. I know what I was doing and if a component dies while operating well within its safe limits then that should tell you something.

And for crying out loud why are you telling me how to deal with Lenovo on this issue? That's between Lenovo and me. I don't see your name listed at tech support.

I do have some problems with occasional BSOD now, after I messed around with core parking. I have some driver error somewhere, which I need to find and fix. It might be due to the new Nvid beta driver. Never had BSOD till I updated to 320.14....

Hey guys c'mon lets keep it civil. Sorry to hear about your Y500, octiceps. Must have been a design flaw or something that downed you, I know you were quite cautious with your system. Good for you, getting a 750M system in exchange, I hope the whole process doesn't take too long. Keep us updated.

Kepler is no Ivy Bridge. And it's not because Ivy can handle 130C that kepler can. There is a reason throttle temperature is 70C on kepler. Or it is some silly way to prevent overclocking. To have their 700 series sell.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? And try going to device manager. Try the same thing in normal mode. See if the GPU is still there.

If it is it could also be that a circuit is burnt because of the cpu running too hot. I think the images have to pass through the iGPU from Intel if that is the case. It could be simply bad luck.

All laptops i had overheated and throttled like hell. I would even compile Android on them for hours on 100C and play games at the same time. Voltage doesn't kill necesarily.

By the way lenovo has a diagnostic utility on their website. It might verify what component is causing the problem. It says its for thinkpads only but it works on ideapads as well

• Thumbs Up 1

What is that option again opticeps that throttles the cpu or gpu when under load. Was it pstate energy saving in the bios?

You dont want to flash a bios with a faulti dimm

Fisgruntl3D. Is it the SODIMM thats faulty or the slot itself? If its the sodimm you can better buy new sodimm faster its cheap and you wont have to rma

Finally overclocked both my 650m GPUs on my new y500 to 1210/2500 and plays Planetside 2 very well! Thank you very much to everyone in this thread!

You may want to reduce the RAM speed. I had it at some amount like that between 2500 and 2600mhz, and it was slower on benchmarks than 2240. GDDR5 has an error checking mechanism that causes bus retries when errors begin to happen. You could probably push the RAM to 3000 but it will cause so many retries that performance will be lower at higher speeds.

The 1210 on the core sounds pretty good though. I can only go to 1100 and then artifacts start, but I am not over volting, and often I use boost modifier so that it will drop clock speed when temps are too high.

What is that option again opticeps that throttles the cpu or gpu when under load. Was it pstate energy saving in the bios?

Fisgruntl3D. Is it the SODIMM thats faulty or the slot itself? If its the sodimm you can better buy new sodimm faster its cheap and you wont have to rma

Why spend money when you don't have to? If it's covered under warranty he may as well have it done regardless. These are relatively new laptops with some teething pains obviously, so better to send them back a faulty unit and have them look at it and examine what is wrong, hopefully improving the "next batches".

You have no idea how much money I've spent on "backup" parts for PCs that went down due to motherboard, CPU, or video card failures. It's a never ending cycle downwards.

It is the slot. The laptop runs just fine without either stick in Slot 1.

What am I doing wrong? I've got my biosbackup.bin, and I'm trying to run y500biosfix.exe but I need a modified bios v2.02. I cant find one of these bios's anywhere though. Can anyone help me? The only thing I can find on the main thread in terms of 2.02 is the 2.02 stock file. Which seems a bit redundant, no?

What am I doing wrong? I've got my biosbackup.bin, and I'm trying to run y500biosfix.exe but I need a modified bios v2.02. I cant find one of these bios's anywhere though. Can anyone help me? The only thing I can find on the main thread in terms of 2.02 is the 2.02 stock file. Which seems a bit redundant, no?

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-57.html#post49733

svl7 hasn't had time to put it in the OP yet. For future reference you can also check the attachments for all files which have been posted in the thread.

Hi all fantastic thread! I just bought my Y500 (650M SLI) and am interested to oc my graphic cards. After applying the BIOS mod do I still need to OC it? Is there a way that the clock speed can be permanently moded on the BIOS? Thanks in advance.

For some reason when trying to boot from my USB drive it just loads windows. I verified that USB boot is enabled. Not sure why it will not boot to DOS screen.

Any Help is appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind i had to turn secure boot off my mistake when trying to load the system.

Found something interesting with stock bios. It doesnt throttle randomy when both cpu and gpu are used. It simply decreases gpu core clock to maintain 30 fps in game. If i turn up the settings to ultra. It suddenly is at 790mhz. I really like that. My gpu temp doesnt go above 60c when gaming arma 3 or planetside 2

Help, I can't get SLI to work. It's detected and selected but when I run Furmark only 1 GPU is working (the 2nd GPU just idle). The framerate result is same with/without SLI.

I am still on stock BIOS (v2.02) and using 310.90 driver running on Win 7.

I changed from Adaptive to Max Performance but the 2nd GPU load still shows 0%. Tried the latest 320.19 driver still same result.

In GPU-Z it says SLI enabled but I noticed the 2nd GPU BIOS is "80.07.27.00.33 (P1304fd10)" instead of just "80.07.27.00.33". Also the Default Clock MEM is 1250MHz instead of 1000MHz. As I didn't apply any mods, is my 2nd GPU screwed up? Should I tried the BIOS mod before sending it back?

I changed from Adaptive to Max Performance but the 2nd GPU load still shows 0%. Tried the latest 320.19 driver still same result.

In GPU-Z it says SLI enabled but I noticed the 2nd GPU BIOS is "80.07.27.00.33 (P1304fd10)" instead of just "80.07.27.00.33". Also the Default Clock MEM is 1250MHz instead of 1000MHz. As I didn't apply any mods, is my 2nd GPU screwed up? Should I tried the BIOS mod before sending it back?

Furmark doesn't support SLI yet ! your SLI system is ok if Nvidia Control Panel says so [just run some games, like Skyrim at FullHD ultra, max all, CSGO max all, etc] and you will see both cards taking the load !