Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Does flashing to the unlocked version of Bios enable RAID to be selected as an option?

No. The HM76 chipset has no hardware RAID support, only HM77 does.

Svl7 i found a tool to mod the 650m and 750m vbuis. Its called kepler bios tweaker. It allows to increase voltages and clocks

Change the base clock with that tool to 790.5 and the clock reporting bug is fixed.

I Have tested overvolting and overclocking. Sadly enough the core overclock doesnt work but the memory does. I dont know anything else all i did was clicking things :P

I've looked into that tool before. As far as I know it doesn't fully work with mobile Kepler cards. I think what you do is you open up its GUI, adjust your parameters--core, memory, voltage, and what not--to your taste and generate a modified vBIOS file which you can flash to your video card to apply those changes. Some of those parameters apparently don't work such as voltage and core as you reported. I'd rather overclock in software instead of in the BIOS due to warranty concerns so I have not looked into that tool further.

No. The HM76 chipset has no hardware RAID support, only HM77 does.

I've looked into that tool before. As far as I know it doesn't fully work with mobile Kepler cards. I think what you do is you open up its GUI, adjust your parameters--core, memory, voltage, and what not--to your taste and generate a modified vBIOS file which you can flash to your video card to apply those changes. Some of those parameters apparently don't work such as voltage and core as you reported. I'd rather overclock in software instead of in the BIOS due to warranty concerns so I have not looked into that tool further.

I Dont know how u did it but i successfuly overvolted my gt650m to 1.1v. Im going to upload the 1.1v and 1.2v versions tomorrow for everyone here on techinferno:) i do see a big difference in clocks. I am able to reach 1.3ghz so far

I Dont know how u did it but i successfuly overvolted my gt650m to 1.1v. Im going to upload the 1.1v and 1.2v versions tomorrow for everyone here on techinferno:) i do see a big difference in clocks. I am able to reach 1.3ghz so far

Nice! Is 1.3 GHz completely stable or just for benches? How much hotter do the CPU and GPU get at 1.2V?

Overvolting sounds pretty cool but I would much rather have a lower overclock on stock voltage that I can run 100% stable 24/7 rather than a very high one on increased voltage that craps out every now and then. Then there's the unknown of how an overvolt will affect component lifespan. This thing is already wickedly fast as is and I want to keep it for as long as possible . I wonder if there will be a point where the 170W adapter won't be enough to power the whole thing assuming you have the i7 and are letting it run at full speed.

I'm most concerned about the increased CPU temperature as I have the i7 and it runs really hot, almost at its limit, as is and a GPU overvolt would definitely heat it up even more.

So far i didnt test in games. Just various benchmarks. The GK107 chip is tested up to 1.138v witg the gtx650. So thats my safe max i would go. I think they get about 20c hotter. For safety i wouldnt exceed 1.2ghz i think thats already overkill :P

Can someone give me a 750m vbios so i can mod the 650 to the same speeds or voltages at least?

- - - Updated - - -

Opticeps do you really reach 100c with the i7 model :/ i was thinking of getting a upgrade to a i7. But i think i will skip it reading your temps

• Thumbs Up 1

So far i didnt test in games. Just various benchmarks. The GK107 chip is tested up to 1.138v witg the gtx650. So thats my safe max i would go. I think they get about 20c hotter. For safety i wouldnt exceed 1.2ghz i think thats already overkill :P

Can someone give me a 750m vbios so i can mod the 650 to the same speeds or voltages at least?

- - - Updated - - -

Opticeps do you really reach 100c with the i7 model :/ i was thinking of getting a upgrade to a i7. But i think i will skip it reading your temps

Yikes 20C hotter?!? That would heat up my CPU by at least 5-10C and I don't want to go there. I've benched my GPU at 1.2 GHz on stock voltage and the GPU got as high as 80C and CPU as high as 95C. This is with a cooling pad dropping everything by 5-10C BTW. So there's definitely no room for an insane GPU overvolt unless you throttle back your CPU to reduce its heat.

As far as I now the GT 750M and GTX 650 are identical in terms of clock speeds and voltage. Both are 1058/2500 at 1.125V or 1.138V can't remember which.

Yes my i7 does get close to 100C without a cooling pad in 3DMark 11 and Battlefield 3. Outside of sythetic CPU burn tests such as Prime95 and Linpack, which will make my CPU shut down, those two applications heat it up the most. I had to buy a good cooling pad that moved a lot of air just so I could keep using ThrottleStop without being afraid that my system might perform a thermal shutdown randomly when it reached 105C. It's pretty hot at times here in California during the summer so others may get better temperatures depending on where they live.

The cooling system in the Y500 is definitely not up to snuff as far as managing the CPU so I would advise against getting anything that runs hotter than the 3630QM. If you want a quad-core the 3632QM and 3612QM are lower TDP and run a little bit cooler but you do lose 300 MHz compared to the 3630QM and 3610QM, which probably isn't a big deal.

The max temperatures of this machine will vary based on the ambient temperature, which just goes to show you that it's not very efficient at cooling itself. A well-cooled laptop will see an increase in idle temperatures but little to no increase in load ones when moving from a cold environment to a hotter one. That was the case with my previous ASUS G73Jh, which had a rocking cooling system. I could actually run Prime95 on that thing 24/7 and have the CPU stay around 80C, which is pretty incredible compared to the Y500 which will reach 105C and shut down after some time.

Nice! Thank you very much. :D

Hey dude. Really waiting for your mod curiously .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mine is the same way, Jester. Looking at Speedfan the highest logged cpu temp is 104C, that was midday playing Bad Company 2 with Throttlestop enabled and both GPUs at 1150/2500. The system can handle even this load if we could figure out how to get the fans running at full speed. I've done a lot of googling looking for a way and no dice.

Google acpi tc1 tc2 formula and you should find a pdf. I think you need to enable acpi 3.0 t states as well. But not sure if it actually works or is safe. I think tc2 is the value you want to increase. I think tc1 helps with predictions.

Mine is the same way, Jester. Looking at Speedfan the highest logged cpu temp is 104C, that was midday playing Bad Company 2 with Throttlestop enabled and both GPUs at 1150/2500. The system can handle even this load if we could figure out how to get the fans running at full speed. I've done a lot of googling looking for a way and no dice.

I'd do something about that immediately if I were you. Maybe get a good cooling pad, elevate the laptop, or use air conditioning to bring down the ambient temperature. Or don't use ThrottleStop. Thermal shutdown is at 105C meaning if any core trips 105C the system will instantly shut off. You were lucky that didn't happen but you were right on the edge.

I have a cooling pad...still it doesn't seem to help all that much. See if I can do something to boost it's fan speed. Yep, overclocking my cooling pad is next. If the system spontaneously shuts down then so be it.

I have a cooling pad...still it doesn't seem to help all that much. See if I can do something to boost it's fan speed. Yep, overclocking my cooling pad is next. If the system spontaneously shuts down then so be it.

LOL how can you game in peace knowing that your computer might overheat and shutdown at any time?

If your laptop cooler is a USB-powered one there's not much you can do to increase the cooling ability outside of physically modding it and swapping in fans that have higher CFM at the same voltage. Might be easier (and cheaper) to just get a better cooler. I got a $20 cooler off Newegg that was the only 100+ CFM one I could find (it's rated at 115 CFM) and it definitely moves a lot more air than my previous cooler did. It's actually making a 5-10C difference in my max temperatures whereas my old one pretty much didn't do anything at all.

Hmm...pretty sure my system is throttling. Not going to a straight shut down...throttling. Looking at speedfan my framerate drops correspond with a quick lowering of temperatures. Maybe a feature of 2.02?

Hmm...pretty sure my system is throttling. Not going to a straight shut down...throttling. Looking at speedfan my framerate drops correspond with a quick lowering of temperatures. Maybe a feature of 2.02?

CPU or GPU throttling? If it's CPU throttling then you probably didn't configure ThrottleStop correctly. I'm on BIOS V2.02 modded and I don't get any throttling with ThrottleStop forcing the Turbo multiplier.

If your CPU is going past 90C even though it's throttling then I would be concerned. If I turn off ThrottleStop my CPU disables Turbo Boost and runs at 2.4 GHz when gaming, which allows it to stay in the 70's and 80's.

Yikes 20C hotter?!? That would heat up my CPU by at least 5-10C and I don't want to go there. I've benched my GPU at 1.2 GHz on stock voltage and the GPU got as high as 80C and CPU as high as 95C. This is with a cooling pad dropping everything by 5-10C BTW. So there's definitely no room for an insane GPU overvolt unless you throttle back your CPU to reduce its heat.

As far as I now the GT 750M and GTX 650 are identical in terms of clock speeds and voltage. Both are 1058/2500 at 1.125V or 1.138V can't remember which.

Yes my i7 does get close to 100C without a cooling pad in 3DMark 11 and Battlefield 3. Outside of sythetic CPU burn tests such as Prime95 and Linpack, which will make my CPU shut down, those two applications heat it up the most. I had to buy a good cooling pad that moved a lot of air just so I could keep using ThrottleStop without being afraid that my system might perform a thermal shutdown randomly when it reached 105C. It's pretty hot at times here in California during the summer so others may get better temperatures depending on where they live.

The cooling system in the Y500 is definitely not up to snuff as far as managing the CPU so I would advise against getting anything that runs hotter than the 3630QM. If you want a quad-core the 3632QM and 3612QM are lower TDP and run a little bit cooler but you do lose 300 MHz compared to the 3630QM and 3610QM, which probably isn't a big deal.

The max temperatures of this machine will vary based on the ambient temperature, which just goes to show you that it's not very efficient at cooling itself. A well-cooled laptop will see an increase in idle temperatures but little to no increase in load ones when moving from a cold environment to a hotter one. That was the case with my previous ASUS G73Jh, which had a rocking cooling system. I could actually run Prime95 on that thing 24/7 and have the CPU stay around 80C, which is pretty incredible compared to the Y500 which will reach 105C and shut down after some time.

1.1v is the limit so far anyway. Which laptop cooling pad you got ? In the stores i usually see plastic €20 ones.

I am still looking for a good laptop that can handle a i7 like the one you describe. But at that point im probably looking at MSI gaming series with a turbo cooling function or something similar.

1.1v is the limit so far anyway. Which laptop cooling pad you got ? In the stores i usually see plastic €20 ones.

I am still looking for a good laptop that can handle a i7 like the one you describe. But at that point im probably looking at MSI gaming series with a turbo cooling function or something similar.

This is the one I got: Logisys Computer Model NP88BK Notebook accessory - Newegg.com

Most gaming laptops with at least dual fans and heatpipes can handle an i7 just fine, even the XM ones. So Alienwares, ASUS G-series, Clevos are all good. I think Alienware and ASUS have the best cooling of the bunch. I hear the new ASUS G750 which was just announced will have Haswell and the GTX 780M, which is surprising since they haven't put a high-end GPU in their gaming notebooks in two generations, and certainly not the fastest one currently available. Anyway, that should be a beast and knowing the great chassis and ventilation design it should run very quiet and cool as well.

Random thought, does the new Y500s with 750m come with better cooling? Raising voltage to 1.1v and running at 1200 mhz, my gpu got close to 100c while playing Simcity5. This is running single gpu, SLI is a no go at 1200mhz because of my 120w PS. Granted it was a pretty hot day in Korea but it's only going to get hotter. Looks like I'll be running SLI @ stock voltage for a while until somebody comes up with a better solution. Of note was that the fan was not working very hard, not any harder than on stock voltage, so maybe I need to play around with the thermal settings in the bios. CPU stays pretty cool, in the high 80's because I have the i7-3632QM.

Edit: Forgot to mention, no cooling pad involved. Laptop sits on top of desk.

thanks opticeps. i will take a look. Prices look good though.

The 750M doesnt have better cooling, why would they. The difference is minimal. And plus it's more cost effective for their factory. They don't have any reason to upgrade.

n1smo, how would you like for me to make a undervolt BIOS? maybe you will be able to do SLI then without overclocking. I was going to make a undervolted one for myself anyway.

What perplexes me is the fact that despite the system reaching these high temps the cooling fans do not go to full speed. The machine does really sound like a vacuum cleaner when they are at that speed, but still. If only we could figure out a way to macro start the dust cleaning cycle or otherwise set some software to manipulate fan rpm.

Random thought, does the new Y500s with 750m come with better cooling? Raising voltage to 1.1v and running at 1200 mhz, my gpu got close to 100c while playing Simcity5. This is running single gpu, SLI is a no go at 1200mhz because of my 120w PS. Granted it was a pretty hot day in Korea but it's only going to get hotter. Looks like I'll be running SLI @ stock voltage for a while until somebody comes up with a better solution. Of note was that the fan was not working very hard, not any harder than on stock voltage, so maybe I need to play around with the thermal settings in the bios. CPU stays pretty cool, in the high 80's because I have the i7-3632QM.

Edit: Forgot to mention, no cooling pad involved. Laptop sits on top of desk.

Same cooling. That's the reason I'm not really keen on overvolting. My overclocked SLI system is plenty fast as is and I just don't think an extra 75 MHz is worth heating up the GPU and CPU to 100C, not to mention the longevity concerns. Here in California it can get pretty hot during the summers as well so I definitely need some thermal headroom.

What I am most interested in right now is improving the laptop's cooling ability. I've already got a good cooling pad so now it's up to someone to find how to make the fans spin up like they do when the Dust Removal app is run. A physical cooling mod is beyond my abilities so that is out of the question.