Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Yes same direction, it's quite effective, only problem is the noise. I think the unit's fan is not enough to take away the heat from the heatsink..adding an exhaust fan helps a lot. The heatsink is cool to touch now :)

How are you powering the fan? Do you have it plugged into and running out of your tower which is under the desk? I would very much like to do this myself and am willing to buy another case fan just for this purpose but I'm afraid it would be impractical except when I'm at home, and even then it would need accommodating since my desktop is in another room.

Yeah 3000 RPM would be pretty noisy. Do you have to run it at its maximum speed to get the full benefit?

How are you powering the fan? Do you have it plugged into and running out of your tower which is under the desk? I would very much like to do this myself and am willing to buy another case fan just for this purpose but I'm afraid it would be impractical except when I'm at home, and even then it would need accommodating since my desktop is in another room.

Yeah 3000 RPM would be pretty noisy. Do you have to run it at its maximum speed to get the full benefit?

I bought an AC-DC 12v 500ma adapter for the fan, and if the 3000rpm fan is run less than the max speed, it will produce even more annoying noise :D I'm planning on buying a smaller fan for this to see if there's a big difference in temperature.

I have also tried placing the fan under the laptop, not much difference in temps..

Hey, a heads-up; nVidia's latest beta drivers 320.00 seems to support overclocking past +135.

Does it completely unlock the limit, like we have with the BIOS and vBIOS mods, or does it just allow Nvidia Inspector and .bat files to work again like in 310.90 and prior?

Made it to the flashing part, but when trying to flash I now get the following error:

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Re1gisters.

Any advise?

I advise you to read my instructions carefully.

I did everything correct UNTILL!!! i was just entering the command to flash, and i was thinking if the .rom file shouldn't be .bin SSSOOOO!!!...... because i wasn't safe, i rebooted the laptop to look it up.

i still wasn't sure so i made a copy of the file and named it .bin for the safe side.

After the .bin flash failed i gave the .rom a go and the error showed up.

i went ALL the way back and started over with the guide, and result the same....

i readied the guide like 10 times and couldn't find anything what i did wrong, after looking down 10 pages i saw your post.

And then it hit me.. the PRR.exe!!!!!!! :stupid:

Thnx svl7 for your guide !!!! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey @svl7, noticed that you modified the OP today. Where are the release notes, er I mean what's changed? ;) Seems like you added some more warnings about messing around in the BIOS settings but that's all I see so far.

Perhaps a vmod on the GPUs? :D *crosses fingers and readies beer money*

So with the unlocked BIOS for the Y500. Has anyone gotten a pcie mini card to work? Broadband WWAN anyone?

I am not seeing any new devices in device manager when I put a Gobi3000 in.

Maybe there is a card that is easier to get working? Does PCI-E work at all?

So with the unlocked BIOS for the Y500. Has anyone gotten a pcie mini card to work? Broadband WWAN anyone?

I am not seeing any new devices in device manager when I put a Gobi3000 in.

Maybe there is a card that is easier to get working? Does PCI-E work at all?

It should work. Have you installed the driver and ensured that wireless LAN is enabled in the BIOS?

I believe the correct procedure to get third-party WLAN/WWAN cards to work is to first remove the stock Intel WLAN card or disable wireless LAN in the BIOS menu, flash the modded BIOS, and finally install the replacement WLAN/WWAN card and turn wireless LAN back on.

Not yet. Also your system might come with a newer BIOS, so once you get your system please let me know and I'll instruct you about getting a complete dump.

Then I can look into the 750m overclocking.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not yet. Also your system might come with a newer BIOS, so once you get your system please let me know and I'll instruct you about getting a complete dump.

Then I can look into the 750m overclocking.

I don't have the 750m, but you're a hero mate!

Same core as the 650M just higher gpu clock and a bit faster ram, and same cooling....

Nothing special i think.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've been trying to find out from 750M owners exactly which GPU core it is using but so far no luck because the information has not been released yet. The latest version of GPU-Z, for instance, has all those categories grayed out.

When AnandTech announced the GeForce 700M series, the chip shot provided to them by Nvidia actually showed the GT 750M to be using a crippled GK106 core. They also mentioned that GK107 and GK208 were also possibilities. Take it with a grain of salt of course but AnandTech has a lot of industry tie-ins and insider access to these major tech companies so their pre-release information is usually more accurate than some of the more gossip-oriented sites.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've been trying to find out from 750M owners exactly which GPU core it is using but so far no luck because the information has not been released yet. The latest version of GPU-Z, for instance, has all those categories grayed out.

When AnandTech announced the GeForce 700M series, the chip shot provided to them by Nvidia actually showed the GT 750M to be using a crippled GK106 core. They also mentioned that GK107 and GK208 were also possibilities. Take it with a grain of salt of course but AnandTech has a lot of industry tie-ins and insider access to these major tech companies so their pre-release information is usually more accurate than some of the more gossip-oriented sites.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - NotebookCheck.net Tech vs NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - NotebookCheck.net Tech Kepler core both.

(Nvidia earlier used same chip in some product just rename it and voila new VGA)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - NotebookCheck.net Tech vs NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - NotebookCheck.net Tech Kepler core both.

(Nvidia earlier used same chip in some product just rename it and voila new VGA)

I've seen that, but seriously you would take Notebookcheck over AnandTech? Notebookcheck can't even get the specifications right post-release let alone pre-release. Case in point: They still list the GTX 660M at GT 650M speeds (835/2000), even though like 99% of OEM's clock them higher than that, typically 900-950/2500.

I wouldn't automatically assume a rebadge of the same GPU at this point in time. The AnandTech article made it very clear that we will be seeing some new derivative parts in addition to reused ones in the 700M series. For example, the GTX 760M is rumored to be a 768-core GK106 and then there's the case of GK208 at the low-end. If this is true then the GT 750M could very well be GK106 as well since this was the case previously with the 660M and 650M using the same core.

Some people says gt750m ddr3 is faster than gt 750m gddr5 version. Is that true?

In most sites tests performed on ddr3 version instead of gddr5.

I think We have to wait to see how much real potential difference between past 650M. And present 750M

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2