Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I had flashed modded bios v2.02 already couple of days back...

Now i am intend to overclock my single gt650m... do i need to flash vbios through dos bootable usbdisk or...no need of flashing anything??

And which tool do i need to use for overclocking? is nvidiainpector a tool?

And how can i know the stable clocks...if i uses unstable clocks system may not boot i think...in that case how can i revert back to stock clocks?

Please let me know these things...:):beer:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have single GPU or SLI? You need only the modded BIOS if you have single GPU since it already includes the vBIOS unlock for the internal GPU. The separate vBIOS flash is to unlock the OC limit for the Ultrabay GPU and unnecessary if you don't have it.

Nvidia Inspector is a GPU monitoring and overclocking tool. Another popular one is MSI Afterburner. It really doesn't matter what you use as long as the tool supports your GPU.

There are tons of overclocking guides out there so Google it. It basically involves bumping up the core and memory clocks individually by small increments, such as 10 MHz, until you experience any instability or graphical corruption. Going too high won't make your system unbootable. The most that can happen is the display driver will crash and recover itself at stock clocks. If you go slow and use small increments that usually won't happen; you'll gradually see freezing and/or artifacts in your 3D app and that's when you know it's time to dial it back a bit. The guides explain it a lot better than we can and I suggest you check them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you have single GPU or SLI? You need only the modded BIOS if you have single GPU since it already includes the vBIOS unlock for the internal GPU. The separate vBIOS flash is to unlock the OC limit for the Ultrabay GPU and unnecessary if you don't have it.

Nvidia Inspector is a GPU monitoring and overclocking tool. Another popular one is MSI Afterburner. It really doesn't matter what you use as long as the tool supports your GPU.

There are tons of overclocking guides out there so Google it. It basically involves bumping up the core and memory clocks individually by small increments, such as 10 MHz, until you experience any instability or graphical corruption. Going too high won't make your system unbootable. The most that can happen is the display driver will crash and recover itself at stock clocks. If you go slow and use small increments that usually won't happen; you'll gradually see freezing and/or artifacts in your 3D app and that's when you know it's time to dial it back a bit. The guides explain it a lot better than we can and I suggest you check them out.

Very thankful to u octcips...you helped me out in both forums...

Thank u alot bro

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You're welcome. Happy to be of help.

@octiceps, you seem to have some ideas about these... I think it can be done, but better ask before regret: do you think I could use nvflash the flash the internal and the external gpu ? [i really don't want that graphical modified bios so I don't need the moded bios - I upgraded the sli version of this beast with 512GB SSD sata3 [worked hard to save the $$$ as freelancer so warranty is important to me -and still I hate all these menus, I would enable just a few of them like numlock enable on start]

can't read/backup[content of rom] using nvflash [tested] so can't write [untested, but fairly sure], it just sees it [tested]

[reverted fully to original bios/rom]

svl7 said he's not going to release a version without the unlocked menus so just flash the stock BIOS back before taking it in for service if you're worried about voiding the warranty. Here is backup of stock V2.02 from my machine I made using fptw64.exe.

There's no need for a separate bios without the unlocked stuff, it's not like anyone is urged to use the additional settings in the bios, they're just there and won't do anything if someone doesn't use them.

Also you shouldn't share your bios backup, there's your windows activation in there, just saying...

Just a heads up: It looks as if the new 750m card (based on the same design/architecture) is set at 1100Mhz turbo @ 1.3volts. I assume the 650m should be able to operate right about the same range, so it might be a good starting point for when you modify the voltage in BIOS (maybe a little less even).

That's definitely not 1.3V.

I have a question that some people tested that the 650m can be overclocked under the Ver.310.90 grahpic card without any limitation. But it can't work under the 314.XX series driver which limited to 135Mhz. So how the Bios control the overclock limitation?

There's no need for a separate bios without the unlocked stuff, it's not like anyone is urged to use the additional settings in the bios, they're just there and won't do anything if someone doesn't use them.

Also you shouldn't share your bios backup, there's your windows activation in there, just saying...

Activation is not done via internet, being in BIOS it's down to certificate and serial, so it won't affect him in any way [like moding with SLIC -but you sure know this]

Create a backup of your current BIOS using the flash tool you downloaded (first step) by runing the included backup.bat, or by using the Win or Dos version flash tool with this command

hi svl7

I don't know how to do it, please help me, thank you!鼓励:

That's definitely not 1.3V.

Haha, definitely not! I meant 1.13 volts. Here's one thread where it's mentioned: Lenovo Y400 Owners lounge - Page 18

@octiceps, you seem to have some ideas about these... I think it can be done, but better ask before regret: do you think I could use nvflash the flash the internal and the external gpu ? [i really don't want that graphical modified bios so I don't need the moded bios - I upgraded the sli version of this beast with 512GB SSD sata3 [worked hard to save the $$$ as freelancer so warranty is important to me -and still I hate all these menus, I would enable just a few of them like numlock enable on start]

can't read/backup[content of rom] using nvflash [tested] so can't write [untested, but fairly sure], it just sees it [tested]

[reverted fully to original bios/rom]

I'm not the author of this stuff; svl7 is. All I know is that the vBIOS of the internal GPU is part of the BIOS so you have to flash the BIOS in order to mod the vBIOS. I'm getting really tired of this back-and-forth with you. I already provided the BIOS and vBIOS backups and if you're so unsatisfied with the BIOS mods don't use them. You can overclock both GPU's just fine using Nvidia Inspector and .bat files without any firmware modification. That sounds like the best solution for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Some users on NBR have already received their Y400/Y500 with GT 750M. To clear up any confusion, it is still GK107 with core at 967 MHz (1058 with Boost) and memory at 2500 MHz. Voltage is 1.1310 V.

Much apreciated for your info about GT 750M, but I already answered to the possibility about using nvflash on internal gpu because I tested and the answer is "you can't use nvflash for internal gpu" [at least the version available]

PS: no need to get angry :) be happy :D:)) - nvidiaInspector has a button which created a nice link for oc to your desired set of oc [at least there was when I first run this app, some time ago, no need to ugly .bat]

Much apreciated for your info about GT 750M, but I already answered to the possibility about using nvflash on internal gpu because I tested and the answer is "you can't use nvflash for internal gpu" [at least the version available]

PS: no need to get angry :) be happy :D:)) - nvidiaInspector has a button which created a nice link for oc to your desired set of oc [at least there was when I first run this app, some time ago, no need to ugly .bat]

Actually if you don't have the overclocking limit unlocked via BIOS/vBIOS, you have to use the .bat files to overcome the +135 MHz limit on the core.

Activation is not done via internet, being in BIOS it's down to certificate and serial, so it won't affect him in any way [like moding with SLIC -but you sure know this]

svl7 is right. So a word of warning to everyone who has my BIOS backup or any other BIOS backup not from your system: DON'T FLASH YOUR SYSTEM WITH IT. You'll lose your Windows activation and make it impossible to use and reinstall the OS short of buying another license since someone else is already using that key. You've been warned.

Hi, i'm newbie here. i just bought the y400 notebook, i format the whole hdd and make it to 2 partitions. I've erased the windows 8 reserved partition, and installed windows 8 myself on the 1st partition. Is it ok to flash the BIOS now? Will it affect the windows 8 that i've installed by myself? Thank you.

svl7 is right. So a word of warning to everyone who has my BIOS backup or any other BIOS backup not from your system: DON'T FLASH YOUR SYSTEM WITH IT. You'll lose your Windows activation and make it impossible to use and reinstall the OS short of buying another license since someone else is already using that key. You've been warned.

Furthermore, if you flash someone else's BIOS file, your system essentially becomes their system since you have not only taken their Windows key but also their Lenovo serial number and UUID (universally unique identifier), which are all stored in the BIOS. This will break any software that uses the UUID and will make it difficult for both you and the original owner of that BIOS to take your laptops in for service, since they verify the SN through the BIOS.

I'm regretting terribly my foolish decision to share my BIOS backup in this thread. I don't know who may have gotten their hands on it or used it to perform the BIOS mod before I took it down. :(

Hi!

I just used your instructions to flash the modded Bios and vBios and everything worked great! Thanks a lot.

But I was wondering, do you think it would be possible to "hardwire" an oc right into the bios?

I'm asking because I'm dual-booting linux, and since there are no overclocking-tools available for linux there's currently no way to achieve an overclock there.

Looking forward to your reply. :)

Furthermore, if you flash someone else's BIOS file, your system essentially becomes their system since you have not only taken their Windows key but also their Lenovo serial number and UUID (universally unique identifier), which are all stored in the BIOS. This will break any software that uses the UUID and will make it difficult for both you and the original owner of that BIOS to take your laptops in for service, since they verify the SN through the BIOS.

I'm regretting terribly my foolish decision to share my BIOS backup in this thread. I don't know who may have gotten their hands on it or used it to perform the BIOS mod before I took it down. :(

Why don't you 'all' who had shared the bios file remove them and there will be no need for anyone to worry about anything :)

I've just put a 120mm 38mm thick 3000rpm fan near the exhaust and it lowered my cpu temps by atleast 10c, this stops the cpu throttling and I can now play games at i7 3630qm@turbo speed(using throttlestop)/ gt650m@1080/1250mhz. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7077[/ATTACH]

That is a very cool idea! I wonder if building a shroud around the fan to direct the suction more exactly at the vent, would provide even better cooling?

I've just put a 120mm 38mm thick 3000rpm fan near the exhaust and it lowered my cpu temps by atleast 10c, this stops the cpu throttling and I can now play games at i7 3630qm@turbo speed(using throttlestop)/ gt650m@1080/1250mhz. :)

Nice setup.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fan blows in the same direction that the exhaust does I take it?

The fan blows in the same direction that the exhaust does I take it?

Yes same direction, it's quite effective, only problem is the noise. I think the unit's fan is not enough to take away the heat from the heatsink..adding an exhaust fan helps a lot. The heatsink is cool to touch now :)