Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Thanks for the informative post. I'll have a go running BF3 with Throttlestop enabled and see what kind of temperatures I get.

Edit: Yeah, things got toasty quick. Most games seem to be GPU-bound on this system anyway, so it isn't too bothersome.

Thanks for the informative post. I'll have a go running BF3 with Throttlestop enabled and see what kind of temperatures I get.

Edit: Yeah, things got toasty quick. Most games seem to be GPU-bound on this system anyway, so it isn't too bothersome.

You never though. 2.4 GHz to 3.2 GHz is a big jump. A lot of games nowadays, especially the most recent shooters and RTS and MMO games will benefit from Turbo Boost even if you crank up the graphics settings.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't need the unlocked menus... well then just leave them and don't change anything, it's actually pretty simple. It's not as if the additional stuff which shows up does any harm as long as you don't use it.

And as a corollary to this, don't mess around with any settings you're not 100% familiar with. Some of the settings, such as the ones related to the Intel GPU, don't do anything and some of them will disable important functionality or make your system unbootable. I messed around inside the modded V1.05 BIOS when I first flashed it and ended up somehow disabling one of my USB ports. I thought the port was dead until I flashed to V2.02 which reset all BIOS options and gave me back my USB port.

I'm new to overclocking and changing bios. How do you boot your SD card into DOS? Also, is there any point in your guide in which you need to load back into windows, and then back into dos?

You need to use a USB flash drive, not an SD card, and make it bootable per the instructions in the OP. Just follow the instructions carefully; everything is in there.

Sorry, I did make the flash drive, but to make a back up you have to run that in windows correct? I keep trying, but I get errors when I try and use backup.bat.

- - - Updated - - -

I can get fptw64 to run. It made two dll files are those the back up of my current bios?

Sorry, I did make the flash drive, but to make a back up you have to run that in windows correct? I keep trying, but I get errors when I try and use backup.bat.

- - - Updated - - -

I can get fptw64 to run. It made two dll files are those the back up of my current bios?

fptw64.exe needs to checked to run as an administrator from its Properties>Compatibility. Then execute backup.bat and it will generate a BIOS backup as a .bin file in the same folder.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did what you said,added admin in the compatibility section of fpt64 and then ran backup.bat, but it didn't make a bin file. The command prompt pops up for a second then closes so fast taht I can't read any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I did what you said,added admin in the compatibility section of fpt64 and then ran backup.bat, but it didn't make a bin file. The command prompt pops up for a second then closes so fast taht I can't read any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

If it generates an error file what does it say?

- - - Updated - - -

Just do wat i said

Extract fptw64.zip file

Goto fptw64 folder

Right click on fptw64.exe

Open properties

In compatibility tab CHECK run this program as an administrator...click apply/ok

Now run bat file normally(not as administrator)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You can easily dump the stock vbios yourself. Also the "modified" label which shows up in Nvidia Inspector is due to the certificate in the vbios. NV Inspector simply uses the nvapi to check whether the vbios is modified or not and displays this information. Unless you hand me the details about the certification and signing there's nothing I can do about.

And as Octiceps says, you create a backup of your own bios before flashing, so keep it. I have no intention of releasing a separate bios without the unlocked stuff since it doesn't do any harm at all. If you don't need the unlocked menus... well then just leave them and don't change anything, it's actually pretty simple. It's not as if the additional stuff which shows up does any harm as long as you don't use it.

I got excited and made no backup but I searched the web and finally found the original rom for the ultrabay gt650... and perhaps, if you have time and there's no big trouble I would still like that moded oc with whitelist v2.02 bios [without menus - I do development on this machine and if something gets wrong, the machine won't start [unable to reflash bios] and if warranty is required then they'll void it as soon as they check the bios - the chances they do a checksum or code comparision is less, but graphics is first seen]

- - - Updated - - -

if you want to do it in pure dos [make that bootable usb, place all files as it says], boot the usb and just type backup.bat, that should do it [this is how I did it]

OR

if you want to do it in windows, place all files in a folder named work in C:, search for cmd > right click > Run as administrator, then type:

cd C:/work [hit enter]

backup.bat [hit enter]

I got excited and made no backup but I searched the web and finally found the original rom for the ultrabay gt650... and perhaps, if you have time and there's no big trouble I would still like that moded oc with whitelist v2.02 bios [without menus - I do development on this machine and if something gets wrong, the machine won't start [unable to reflash bios] and if warranty is required then they'll void it as soon as they check the bios - the chances they do a checksum or code comparision is less, but graphics is first seen]

svl7 said he's not going to release a version without the unlocked menus so just flash the stock BIOS back before taking it in for service if you're worried about voiding the warranty. Here is backup of stock V2.02 from my machine I made using fptw64.exe.

Yeah, I'll do this when I get a chance.

Just a heads up: It looks as if the new 750m card (based on the same design/architecture) is set at 1100Mhz turbo @ 1.3volts. I assume the 650m should be able to operate right about the same range, so it might be a good starting point for when you modify the voltage in BIOS (maybe a little less even).

I tried to run ftpw64 with admin compatibility selected, but all it does when I click on backup.bat is open the command prompt for half a second, then closes. Since, it closes so fast, I don't know what error is popping up. I tried to fun ftp in DOS from the bootable USB, but I get error 104 when I do. If I can't get a backup of my bios made, can I use the one posted earlier in this thread if I have to send my laptop off one day?

I can't get a backup of my bios made, can I use the one posted earlier in this thread if I have to send my laptop off one day?

Yes you can use the stock V2.02 I provided. That's what I flashed when I returned my first Y500 unit which was defective. That originally came with V1.05 but I flashed to modded 1.05, stock 2.02 and finally modded 2.02. When I returned it after getting a replacement I flashed both the BIOS and Ultrabay vBIOS using my backups and it worked perfectly to restore the factory firmware. If you need a backup of the stock Ultrabay vBIOS let me know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I GOT IT!!! I just noticed your error 104 fix, which fixed all my issues. If I were you, I would add that to the guide as a note, if they come across that error, since it also fixed my problem with making my own back up. Lastly, you might want to make it more obvious that you have to rename to fixed bios from .rom to .bin. Thanks for all your help though!

I GOT IT!!! I just noticed your error 104 fix, which fixed all my issues. If I were you, I would add that to the guide as a note, if they come across that error, since it also fixed my problem with making my own back up. Lastly, you might want to make it more obvious that you have to rename to fixed bios from .rom to .bin. Thanks for all your help though!

Yeah the instructions for the Error 104 fix are buried somewhere near the beginning of this thread not in the OP. Have everything consolidated in one post would be helpful. I've flashed the BIOS and Ultrabay vBIOS on two different Y500 units and never experienced that error so it may not happen to everybody.

You don't need to rename the fixed BIOS from .rom to .bin. I'm surprised changing the file extension didn't mess up your flash LOL. Use your best judgment when svl7 writes youfilename.bin and your file is a .rom; he's just using that as an example. Can't expect to be spoonfed everything right? :rolleyes:

@svl7 if I may make a suggestion could you update the OP to include the these important tidbits of information:

1. Instructions for Error 104 fix
  2. Run fptw64.exe as an administrator from it's Properties>Compatibility when using backup.bat to make a BIOS backup

It seems that everyone who runs into errors are asking these same questions and it gets awfully repetitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I am trying to get the vbios for my graphics cards flashed, but when I try to back them up I get the error the "eeprom not supported."

You're just a handful aren't you? ;)

Don't worry about backing up the vBIOS if you can't get it to work. Here is backup you can download.

I had flashed modded bios v2.02 already couple of days back...

Now i am intend to overclock my single gt650m... do i need to flash vbios through dos bootable usbdisk or...no need of flashing anything??

And which tool do i need to use for overclocking? is nvidiainpector a tool?

And how can i know the stable clocks...if i uses unstable clocks system may not boot i think...in that case how can i revert back to stock clocks?

Please let me know these things...:):beer:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2