Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

@octiceps - Do you think it's possible to disable the GPU0 and just use GPU1(ultrabay) as the main gpu? I think this will lower the CPU temps/

I do agree that this will lower the CPU temperature, but I don't think it's possible without some hacking, most likely not at all. If you disable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel it just turns off the Ultrabay GPU.

i tried to backup my bios by Fptw64 tool ..its getting closed soon after opening the bat file with admin permissions....

is there any way to make backup of bios?

plz help me out

You need to run fptw64.exe, not backup.bat, as an administrator. Right-click on fptw64.exe, click Properties, go to Compatibility tab, and check 'Run this program as an administrator' at the bottom. Then, run backup.bat normally and it should generate a BIOS backup in the same folder.

• Thumbs Up 1

You need to run fptw64.exe, not backup.bat, as an administrator. Right-click on fptw64.exe, click Properties, go to Compatibility tab, and check 'Run this program as an administrator' at the bottom. Then, run backup.bat normally and it should generate a BIOS backup in the same folder.

thank you bro... i successfully flashed modded bios...

thank you for helping me out

and i have a small doubt..can i revert to my original bios?

I don't know, svl7's instructions seemed pretty straightforward to me. I got everything right the first time around and didn't run into any problems.

You can confirm that your BIOS flash was successful by booting into BIOS and it should say 'svl7 mod' at the top-right corner with a bunch of previously-hidden advanced options unlocked. Also, Nvidia Inspector should show the vBIOS of GPU0 as '80.07.27.00.33 [MODIFIED].'

If you have SLI and successfully flashed the vBIOS of the Ultrabay GPU the Nvidia Inspector should report the vBIOS of GPU1 to also be '80.07.27.00.33 [MODIFIED].'

If everything completed successfully with no error messages but your BIOS is still unmodded then the only thing I can think of is that you got the files mixed up and didn't flash the correct files. Double-check everything and flash again.

thanks for the reply, my bios is flashed correctly and nvidia instructor shows modified as well for GPU 0, that part was done successfull the only problem is the second GPU I already tryed it a few times downloaded the files again used different filenames.... this is wired ...

another question, win8 shows up as unactivated with the hint, the key is already used by another computer, can I somehow activate it without a different, new key ?

thank you bro... i successfully flashed modded bios...

thank you for helping me out

and i have a small doubt..can i revert to my original bios?

Glad to help.

If you saved a backup of your stock BIOS per svl7's instructions then you can flash that to go back to it. Make sure you turn on 'BIOS back flash' in the BIOS menu before you do. But I don't see why you would ever want to go back; the modded one is just so much better.

Glad to help.

If you saved a backup of your stock BIOS per svl7's instructions then you can flash that to go back to it. Make sure you turn on 'BIOS back flash' in the BIOS menu before you do. But I don't see why you would ever want to go back; the modded one is just so much better.

Yeah bro i know it too ..that modded bios is better...if its not why would i flash...

I am asking to revert for a purpose...in future if suppose lenovo updated its bios to 2.03 or something else..slv7 also will update bios respectively ..in case should i revert back to stock and flash the modded bios again or can i update to modded bios directly. ..then a doubt raised in mind 'if i need to revert back then am i able to revert back to stock again or not' so asked... :D

If i dont have any backup can i flash stock bios directly?

And i had onemore doubt...am i able to overclock my single gpu...since there is guide to overclock only for sli(dual gpus)

Will u let me clear on that?:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

@gnan10 The overclocking SLI is just an addition for the SLI users, the modded bios gives you access to overclock your single GPU (or GPU 0, main or whatever we want to call it)

to my problem: is there a possibility that my ultrabay GPU is at 0 instead of 1, this is the only thing I can think of, why else would the flash don´t work ?

On the other hand my gpu 0 already shows modified and if the numbers are matching there is no other possibility left

Is it safe to just try it ?

svl7 can you take a look at this by any chance ?

Zippyshare.com - microcode_20130213.zip

This is the microcode for Ivy bridge family 306a9. I tried to paste it in PADDING-00370000_0_1343.ROM in version 2.02 but I get error 13 &HG conversion String to byte with phoenix tool.

These are my settings. I used HxD Editor to overwrite the existing microcode.

Keep the microcodedecode.exe it can come in handy for you later!

captureaif.png

I do agree that this will lower the CPU temperature, but I don't think it's possible without some hacking, most likely not at all. If you disable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel it just turns off the Ultrabay GPU.

In Nvidia Control Panel go to MANAGE 3D SETTINGS

CUDA - GPUs: Change this to the second adapter, and now you will play games on the Ultra Bay Card :)

The best way to use this is of course to do this only with the program you need it for.

In my opinion you should put power scheme to balanced and do some nice registry editing and set the upthreshold higher, this is only for professionals of course. I wouldn't recommend touching it unless you know what you are doing.

@gnan10 The overclocking SLI is just an addition for the SLI users, the modded bios gives you access to overclock your single GPU (or GPU 0, main or whatever we want to call it)

to my problem: is there a possibility that my ultrabay GPU is at 0 instead of 1, this is the only thing I can think of, why else would the flash don´t work ?

My ultrabay gpu is 1, as all others y500, why do u think ur y500 is different?

anyone else experiencing similiar problems?...

prior to the modded 2.02 bios flash. i was stable with 970/2400 clock on my single gt 650m. using the modded 1.05 bios and forcing the overclock on p5 state. after flashing to the 2.02 modded bios the same overclock i was using is no longer stable. and my games are crashing and the gpu kicks into idle state.

On the other hand my gpu 0 already shows modified and if the numbers are matching there is no other possibility left

As I know the display and the video outs are connected to the GPU0 so i think is impossible to use only the ultrabay GPU. But someone with more information will give you proper answer if this one is wrong.

prior to the modded 2.02 bios flash. i was stable with 970/2400 clock on my single gt 650m. using the modded 1.05 bios and forcing the overclock on p5 state. after flashing to the 2.02 modded bios the same overclock i was using is no longer stable. and my games are crashing and the gpu kicks into idle state.

That's called chip detoriation. Or you didn't test your overclock thoroughly.

damn yeeeeah it finally worked

I did disable SLI in windows before restarting and flashing the sli.rom and it instantly worked ... same commands same everthing...

now I´m really interested in safe stable settings...

gotta buy svl some beer now :D cheers

Try it in P0 state (as i know in p0 the GPU get a little bit more volt).

Yeah bro i know it too ..that modded bios is better...if its not why would i flash...

I am asking to revert for a purpose...in future if suppose lenovo updated its bios to 2.03 or something else..slv7 also will update bios respectively ..in case should i revert back to stock and flash the modded bios again or can i update to modded bios directly. ..then a doubt raised in mind 'if i need to revert back then am i able to revert back to stock again or not' so asked... :D

If i dont have any backup can i flash stock bios directly?

And i had onemore doubt...am i able to overclock my single gpu...since there is guide to overclock only for sli(dual gpus)

Will u let me clear on that?:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

If Lenovo ever provides an official update then you would just do what we did for modded V2.02: Update to Lenovo's official BIOS then flash the modded version of that.

- - - Updated - - -

In Nvidia Control Panel go to MANAGE 3D SETTINGS

CUDA - GPUs: Change this to the second adapter, and now you will play games on the Ultra Bay Card :)

The best way to use this is of course to do this only with the program you need it for.

In my opinion you should put power scheme to balanced and do some nice registry editing and set the upthreshold higher, this is only for professionals of course. I wouldn't recommend touching it unless you know what you are doing.

That won't disable GPU0; all it does is force PhysX onto GPU1. As others have mentioned, since the display is connected to GPU0 it's probably impossible to disable it.

When I try to flash my BIOS I'm getting the following error:

[PMODE/W]: Abort: 00

Exception: 0E

Error Code: 00000000

followed by a bunch of register information.

I am presently not configured for SLI mode in Windows. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

As a side to this, I also can not perform a DOS based backup, but the fpt64 works fine in Win8

UPDATE: Disregard, when using the win98 files from the beginning of the tutorial, its a good idea not to copy any of them to the flash drive.. the himem.sys and other drivers mess with your ability to flash.

Hey svl7, definately sending you some booze money soon, really appreciate your fine work.

Any chance we can get a vmod on the GPUs? I'm up to 1175/1135 on mine with temps not exceeding 80c but they seem to be thirsty for more power in order to continue further. Thanks again for your work.

-Allen

• Thumbs Up 1

hey svl7, can you post the stock for the gt650m ultrabay ? and maybe a version of the rom with oc only and whitelist for bios and another for ultrabay [without unlocked menu and without MODIFIED label - warranty won't like that] [i'm moding it as well for OS X support]

Hey svl7, definately sending you some booze money soon, really appreciate your fine work.

Any chance we can get a vmod on the GPUs? I'm up to 1175/1135 on mine with temps not exceeding 80c but they seem to be thirsty for more power in order to continue further. Thanks again for your work.

-Allen

I believe the lack of thermal headroom, especially regarding the CPU, is holding us back. The CPU is already running near its limit and any increase in the temperature of the GPU directly affects the CPU since they share the same cooling system.

- - - Updated - - -

hey svl7, can you post the stock for the gt650m ultrabay ? and maybe a version of the rom with oc only for bios and ultrabay [without unlocked menu and without MODIFIED label - warranty won't like that]

That's what you made the BIOS backups for. If you need to get warranty service then flash back the stock versions. Anyway svl7 doesn't own this machine so he probably can't help you with the stock BIOS files. And I think it's a little too much to ask him to remove his watermark on the modded BIOS because then what's to prevent someone from taking his work, claiming it as his own, and soliciting payment for it?

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the lack of thermal headroom, especially regarding the CPU, is holding us back. The CPU is already running near its limit and any increase in the temperature of the GPU directly affects the CPU since they share the same cooling system.

I've never seen temps over 82C on the CPU; with it being the 3230qm with a temp threshold of 95c before it starts throttling I know I still have some wiggle room, especially after I buy a laptop cooling pad.

I've never seen temps over 82C on the CPU; with it being the 3230qm with a temp threshold of 95c before it starts throttling I know I still have some wiggle room, especially after I buy a laptop cooling pad.

That's a lot lower than what everyone else is getting. What is your maximum CPU temperature while running 3DMark 11, Prime95, and Linpack? Most people are getting around 90 C in 3DMark 11 when using ThrottleStop.

Unclewebb the ThrottleStop author has informed me that Lenovo, like most laptop manufacturers, has changed the thermal throttling scheme in this machine from Intel specifications. Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature for mobile Ivy Bridge CPU's at 105 C and the thermal shutdown temperature at around 130 C. They do this on purpose so that the CPU can gradually throttle without shutting down instantly, and it is almost always good enough to prevent the CPU from reaching anywhere near 130 C. That way the CPU slows down but keeps on running so that the user doesn't lose what they're working on. Lenovo, on the other hand, does away with Intel's incredible engineering and does a premature thermal shutdown at 105 C with no throttling beforehand except in the case I describe below.

By default, Turbo Boost will be disabled when the system detects simultaneous heavy load on the CPU and GPU, such as when running Prime95+FurMark or in certain portions of 3DMark 11. Therefore, the CPU will run at 2.4 GHz instead of 3.2 GHz. You can test this yourself by firing up a Prime95 torture test on all 8 threads. You'll see that when just Prime95 is running, each core will be running at 3.2 GHz,. But soon after you start up FurMark while Prime95 is still running, all cores will drop down to 2.4 GHz and stay there. This is similar to the CPU throttling mechanism triggered by the Bi-Directional Processor Hot (BD PROCHOT) signal but Lenovo is actually not using BD PROCHOT in this machine. This method reduces CPU heat considerably when both CPU and GPU are pegged but of course reduces performance.

What you have to do to overcome this is to use ThrottleStop and force the Turbo multiplier. When you do that, the CPU will run with Turbo Boost enabled under all circumstances. This is why people who are benching this machine recommend ThrotteStop to get the highest scores. In 3DMark 11, for example, the Physics score is around 6000-6600 without it and 7600 with it. The downside is obviously increased heat generation. In most real-world situations it's fine but if you do an extreme test like OCCT or FurMark+Prime95 the CPU will reach 105 within minutes and the system will shut down.

Any chance we can get a vmod on the GPUs? I'm up to 1175/1135 on mine with temps not exceeding 80c but they seem to be thirsty for more power in order to continue further.

Yeah, I'll do this when I get a chance.

hey svl7, can you post the stock for the gt650m ultrabay ? and maybe a version of the rom with oc only and whitelist for bios and another for ultrabay [without unlocked menu and without MODIFIED label - warranty won't like that] [i'm moding it as well for OS X support]

You can easily dump the stock vbios yourself. Also the "modified" label which shows up in Nvidia Inspector is due to the certificate in the vbios. NV Inspector simply uses the nvapi to check whether the vbios is modified or not and displays this information. Unless you hand me the details about the certification and signing there's nothing I can do about.

And as Octiceps says, you create a backup of your own bios before flashing, so keep it. I have no intention of releasing a separate bios without the unlocked stuff since it doesn't do any harm at all. If you don't need the unlocked menus... well then just leave them and don't change anything, it's actually pretty simple. It's not as if the additional stuff which shows up does any harm as long as you don't use it.