Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I don't have SLI, and how can I save a copy of my bios?

Use the fptw64 tool in the first post of this thread. After unzipping the folder right-click on fptw64.exe and go to its Properties. Under the Compatibilty tab tick 'Run this program as administrator.' Then, double-click on backup.bat and it will generate a copy of the BIOS as a .bin file in the same folder.

• Thumbs Up 1

@octiceps: Here's something you could try with your v1.05 system, flash with the included Insydeflash utility. If it allows you to flash please let me know the both vbios versions afterwards.

@Others: I doubt it will let you flash this way if you're on 2.0x already, and if you're on 2.02 you don't even need to try because it won't make any difference.

In any case, keep a backup of your current bios.

- file removed -

svl7-

quick question. I have actually installed some new hardware to my machine and a different OS as well - mSATA Crucial SSD running as my boot drive, WD Scorpio black storage HDD, and win 8 pro (clean install). is this going to impact the bios flash any (I am using 2.02)? I am only really interested in being able to upgrade my Wi-Fi card.

on a side note, does anyone else have any flex in their lower laptop body? right above the keyboard, when I press down there it squeaks/snaps as if the internals are not 100% flushly connected. I suppose your mileage may vary since mine has been opened.

@octiceps: Here's something you could try with your v1.05 system, flash with the included Insydeflash utility. If it allows you to flash please let me know the both vbios versions afterwards.

Nope doesn't flash. I get 'Error: invalid firmware image!!!' or something like that. Still on modded v1.05.

• Thumbs Up 1

quick question. I have actually installed some new hardware to my machine and a different OS as well - mSATA Crucial SSD running as my boot drive, WD Scorpio black storage HDD, and win 8 pro (clean install). is this going to impact the bios flash any (I am using 2.02)? I am only really interested in being able to upgrade my Wi-Fi card.

Nope, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Only use the 2.02 mod of course since you're already on that version.

Nope doesn't flash. I get 'Error: invalid firmware image!!!' or something like that. Still on modded v1.05.

Lol, thought so. Too bad.

Nope, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Only use the 2.02 mod of course since you're already on that version.

Lol, thought so. Too bad.

Is there any hope for an SLI fix? I'll do anything within my power to help.

You can flash it with the leaked update linked a couple of pages ago. If it is a valid update it will flash.

Then once you're on v2.02 (stock) you can follow the instructions in the first post and flash with fpt.

I will update the information in the first post when I get the chance.

I need to check one or two things, but I'm running out of ideas.

Has anyone ever disassembled the ultra bay GPU?

Not that I know of. Another Y500 owner disassembled his single-GPU machine here with pictures but no Ultrabay GPU.

What specifically are you looking for and what should I be photographing? I can disassemble mine later today if needed. Hope I can put it all back together when I'm done lol.

In the meantime, these are some images and specifications of the disassembled Ultrabay GPU from the Lenovo hardware manual. They're pretty crude illustrations but might be of some use until I get around to taking apart my GPU. View full size as they are from an iPad.

http://i.imgur.com/DHb6u6Q.png

http://i.imgur.com/UM9Hktq.png

http://i.imgur.com/81TFb8n.png

http://i.imgur.com/JV62fGx.png

http://i.imgur.com/j170BJh.png

post-10698-14494994942576_thumb.jpg

Hi,sorry for noob questions and English..

I'd never flashed bios and i don't want brick my new laptop-its my work machine(3D Artist)

my system is:

Lenovo Y500 i7 gt650m sli 16gb ram no ssd win 8

bios v1.05

I don't have any problems with sli,but here are lots of people who have.Can bios flash cause some problems?will Win 8 license be saved?

What bios version should i use?v1.05 or 2xx?

Only flash a mod of the same version as you're using. If you want to go 2.02 then use the leaked stock update linked above, and once you done this flash the mod according to the instructions. Whatever you do, don't flash a mod of a different version than the one on your system.

Read the instructions and your Win8 cert and activation will be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only flash a mod of the same version as you're using. If you want to go 2.02 then use the leaked stock update linked above, and once you done this flash the mod according to the instructions. Whatever you do, don't flash a mod of a different version than the one on your system.

So it is not safe to update to modded v1.03 bios from a v1.02 bios. I've PM you my Y400 BIOS 6BCN30WW(v1.02,

but can I disable hyperthreading once a flashed to a modded bios? Does it lower the temps?

I can confirm that using the update link from 2.00 to 2.02 works, then flash with the modded bios. I am currently running on 5.0Ghz Wi-Fi and loving it. svl7 - beer money coming your way!

I have updated from a modded 1.03 to a modded 2.02

Step 1: Take out your 3rd party wificard (if you have it already installed on an older modded version)

Step 2: Flash the leaked firmware (2.02)

Step 3: Create a backup of the Bios and create a modded version (Follow instruction from page 1)

Step 4: Flash the modded 2.02 bios

Step 5: Put your 3rd party wifi card back in place.

I tested the overclocking (with MSI Afterburner)and GPU clock is max 1375 MHz (instead of the regular 835 MHz) and Memory Clock is max 1500 (instead of the regular 1000 MHz)

@svl7, great job on the vbios and whitelist removal!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I guess it might interest some people here too, I tried upgrading from the 2230N to a 6300N, which worked flawlessly, too.

Unfortunately, I had to remove the Wireless Card first and then upgrade and put it back in but that was worth the try. Now I have 5Ghz Wifi, much more reliable and stable than ever before.

Thanks!

EDIT: What I forgot. If you disable the Wifi in BIOS, you can upgrade the BIOS without removing the already built in 3rd party card. Then just re-enable after upgrading to the modded bios and you're fine :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, upgraded from 2.00 to 2.02 and ran into problems. Y500fix ran through, no problems so far. Now i tried to flash the new "fixed" bios file.

"Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access. Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers."