Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Coming to this party extremely late, I have two questions:

1. Are these files still available at all, i.e. will I be able to download without issue them if I pay for the Tier I Elite membership?

2. Is it possible to perform this unlock without windows installed on my machine? Am I correct in understanding that the bios can be backed up and flashed from a bootable removable drive with DOS , and that windows is only required to do the patching, something I presume can be done with a Virtual Machine?

On 1/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, piesang said:

Coming to this party extremely late, I have two questions:

1. Are these files still available at all, i.e. will I be able to download without issue them if I pay for the Tier I Elite membership?

2. Is it possible to perform this unlock without windows installed on my machine? Am I correct in understanding that the bios can be backed up and flashed from a bootable removable drive with DOS , and that windows is only required to do the patching, something I presume can be done with a Virtual Machine?

If you are on bios v1.5 and need to update to v2.04, you need to find that somewhere else. Can't remember where I got it but you'll find it with some googling.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2021 at 2:53 PM, RickyW said:

If you are on bios v1.5 and need to update to v2.04, you need to find that somewhere else. Can't remember where I got it but you'll find it with some googling.

Thank you!

Looks like v2.04 is still available on Lenovo's website here:

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds101628-bios-update-for-windows-8-64-bit-ideapad-y400-y500

Unfortunately it looks like it is only possible to install via windows, to answer my own (2nd) question.

Edited by piesang

6 minutes ago, piesang said:

Looks like v2.04 is still available on Lenovo's website here:

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds101628-bios-update-for-windows-8-64-bit-ideapad-y400-y500

Unfortunately it looks like it is only possible to install via windows, to answer my own (2nd) question.

Aah bummer. Maybe you could install Windows as a secondary OS?

Alright, finally managed to get it done, everything worked beautifully. The only problem I encountered was with creating the bootable DOS drive as instructed here, encountered some "write protect" error, maybe some compatibility issues with Win 10. Did manage to make a FreeDOS drive with Rufus and flash successfully.

Thanks to all involved!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, piesang said:

Alright, finally managed to get it done, everything worked beautifully. The only problem I encountered was with creating the bootable DOS drive as instructed here, encountered some "write protect" error, maybe some compatibility issues with Win 10. Did manage to make a FreeDOS drive with Rufus and flash successfully.

Thanks to all involved!

Glad to hear it! I also ran into that write protection issue, used diskpart to remove the "read only" disk attributes of my USB drive.

What Wifi-adapter are you upgrading to?

1 hour ago, piesang said:

I installed an Intel 7260 I bought some months ago, naively thinking I can just install it. 

I did the same, got the AC version from Amazon. Just put it in and Windows recognized it straight away and installed the drivers for it automatically.

I figured it out.

Hello,

Has anyone found a way to fix the error below without access to File 'Error 104' Fix - v01.zip?  Trying to scan through 101 pages of posts for an answer isn't working.

I think I am supposed to edit fparts.txt?

W25Q16BV,    0xEF4015, 0x1000000,  0x1000, 0x20, 64, 0, 0xc7, 80000

to

W25Q16BV,    0xEF4015, 0x1000000,  0x1000, 0x20, 64, 0, 0x60, 80000

But what do I do with...

MX25L3205D,  0xC22016, 0x2000000,  0x1000, 0x20, 64, 0, 0x60, 80000

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version:  8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
    MX25L3205D    ID:0xC22016    Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
    W25Q16BV    ID:0xEF4015    Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.

Edited by Bundlesnot
Issue has been resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, RickyW said:

So I ran into an interesting problem...

I did the bios flash on my Y500 and everything went fine. When the flash was complete, I noticed that my laptop was unplugged and plugged it in. When I did, the screen got sort of "tinted" to a blue-ish color. I rebooted the laptop and this blue tint persists on the screen. I have tried re-installing Nvidia display drivers and rolled back my bios to v2.04 again with no luck.

After this, I also can't adjust the screen brightness with the Fn-keys.

Any ideas? 

I managed to resolve this issue by replacing the screen ribbon cable. Bought one from eBay for like 10 bucks and it did the trick, screen looks normal now. Super happy to not have to replace the entire screen! :bananapartyhat2:

• Bios Modder
3 minutes ago, ALXCERO said:

NO ES POSIBLE REALIZAR NINGUNA DE LAS DESCARGAS, POR QUE SUCEDE ESTO ???

Hi!

Please read "User Account Promotion Rules": https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

me sale un error 

"
Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help.".

y no me permite actualizar el bios, alguien tiene idea del paso a seguir o la razón de este error

Edited by ALXCERO

1 hour ago, ALXCERO said:

me sale un error 

"
Error 200: valor de parámetro no válido especificado por el usuario. Utilice la opción -? Para ver la ayuda ".

y no me permite actualizar el bios, alguien tiene idea del paso a seguir o la razón de este error

el error ocurría por no crear correctamente la memoria booteable, la cree en Windows 7 con la herramienta proporcionada y de la manera que enseña el video

GRACIAS A TODOS

• 1 month later...

My wireless card model is N2230, I don't have wi-fi problem but  bluetooth dissappeared suddenly, that is why I wanted to check another wireless card. However I didn't solve it. I researched from the other sites, only this site can help me not others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this great forum

I recently bought a Y500 and need to flash away this locked bios. This post looks to have the information and tools I need. I look forward to becoming a full member.

• 2 weeks later...