Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

• Bios Modder
On 1/8/2019 at 4:59 AM, hexdemon said:

I just made a backup of my y400 bios , could someone help me with the next part of modding it with whitelist mod?

Thanks!

Hi!

All necessary files and instructions you can find on the first page of this thread.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm trying to unlock my bios on my Lenovo y500 and I'm kinda stuck at the first step where I need to make a DOS USB drive. I am getting the error message "device media is write protected" when I try to use the HP tool and I googled a bunch with no luck. are you able to help me with it?

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, azab189 said:

I am getting the error message "device media is write protected" when I try to use the HP tool and I googled a bunch with no luck. are you able to help me with it?

Hi!

Just run HP tool as Administrator.

1 minute ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Just run HP tool as Administrator.

Thanks that did the trick, now Im getting the error "error 28: protected range register" how do I get past that? also, "PBR GBE regions does not exist" which I think isn't that relevant 

• Bios Modder
4 minutes ago, azab189 said:

Thanks that did the trick, now Im getting the error "error 28: protected range register" how do I get past that? also, "PBR GBE regions does not exist" which I think isn't that relevant 

Just read first post of this thread carefully.

• Put the modified BIOS, the prr.exe tool and the fpt.exe (along with the fparts.txt file) on the root of your prepared DOS bootable USB drive, restart your system and boot from that drive. 

• Execute the prr.exe, if you don't get an error message continue by pressing enter. Then flash the bios by using this command (filename.bin obviously needs to be replaced with the name of the file you want to flash). If you can't remember the name of your file, use the command dir to display all the files on your drive. Flash with this:

fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

NOTE: The name of the BIOS file mustn't exceed eight characters (not counting the extension)! That's a DOS limit, so make sure the name of your file isn't too long. Wait until the process is done. After flashing it will verify the data, in case there's something wrong with the flashed data it will tell you. In that case don't reboot, just flash again.

1 hour ago, Klem said:

Just read first post of this thread carefully.

• Put the modified BIOS, the prr.exe tool and the fpt.exe (along with the fparts.txt file) on the root of your prepared DOS bootable USB drive, restart your system and boot from that drive. 

• Execute the prr.exe, if you don't get an error message continue by pressing enter. Then flash the bios by using this command (filename.bin obviously needs to be replaced with the name of the file you want to flash). If you can't remember the name of your file, use the command dir to display all the files on your drive. Flash with this:

fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

NOTE: The name of the BIOS file mustn't exceed eight characters (not counting the extension)! That's a DOS limit, so make sure the name of your file isn't too long. Wait until the process is done. After flashing it will verify the data, in case there's something wrong with the flashed data it will tell you. In that case don't reboot, just flash again.

-_- I clearly didn't understand the execute the prr.exe part, that's what I wasn't doing got it working now Thanks for Help! now I can finally do whatever I want without being limited 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 3:31 AM, Klem said:

Hi!

All necessary files and instructions you can find on the first page of this thread.

Is it true that I need 5 posts before I can access all these files? Currently I am unable to download everything that I need. 

• 1 month later...
  • Bios Modder
50 minutes ago, w123 said:

I can't download the file

Is it true that I need 5 posts before I can access all these files? Currently I am unable to download everything that I need.

Hi!

Yes, I think it's true. You can read this:  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, i managed to update  to the modded biosin order to overclock my y500s' 650m but still cant go past +135 in afterburner or nvidia inspector. Do i have to do something in the bios first? Thanks for any reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, i have got question. Since i have got unlocked BIOS and founded there options for running memory at 1066/1333/1600/1866/2133MHz. Now i am using DDR3-1600, so... should i try to get 1866 MHz modules and try to run it? Will it work?

Obviously i can't overcklock my current memory, since there is no options in BIOS for that (for timings), also my current DDR3-1600 modules don't have any SPD for 933 MHz (obviously!).

Maybe someone already did it?

Edited by rusTORK

• Bios Modder
43 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Hey, i have got question. Since i have got unlocked BIOS and founded there options for running memory at 1066/1333/1600/1866/2133MHz. Now i am using DDR3-1600, so... should i try to get 1866 MHz modules and try to run it? Will it work?

Obviously i can't overcklock my current memory, since there is no options in BIOS for that (for timings), also my current DDR3-1600 modules don't have any SPD for 933 MHz (obviously!).

Maybe someone already did it?

Hi!

You can try to set in bios setup menu 1866 MHz, without touch any timings. Most RAM modules 1600 MHz can works stable on 1866 MHz without any timings change.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:37 PM, Klem said:

Hi!

You can try to set in bios setup menu 1866 MHz, without touch any timings. Most RAM modules 1600 MHz can works stable on 1866 MHz without any timings change.

Tested. I switched frequency in BIOS and runned AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark then switched back and tested again. No noticible diffirence.

But that way i tested i7-3630QM and i7-3820QM with same memory modules and frequency. So, here is results.

i7-3630QM

Memory_N1_i7_3630QM_1600MHz.thumb.png.2f85c786a07ddd2e31bbf8cb1ec3b4e5.png

i7-3820QM + Ramaxel_RMT3160ED58E9W-1600 (ThrottleStop with multiplier 35 T - 3.5 GHz on all cores)

Memory_N1_i7_3820QM_Ramaxel_RMT3160ED58E9W-1600_1600MHz_8Gb.thumb.png.251cf075403617bb4630cea0e01bc104.png

Edited by rusTORK

• Bios Modder
5 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Tested. I switched frequency in BIOS and runned AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark then switched back and tested again. No noticible diffirence.

As you can see on all your screenshots, memory frequency it's 1600 MHz, not 1866 MHz.

1 minute ago, Klem said:

As you can see on all your screenshots, memory frequency it's 1600 MHz, not 1866 MHz.

Yep, look's like this BIOS settings don't work.

Any chance this BIOS setting may be connected to memory module SPD?

In theory i may try to lower same setting in BIOS to 1333MHz and run AIDA64 test again.

• Bios Modder
2 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Yep, look's like this BIOS settings don't work.

Any chance this BIOS setting may be connected to memory module SPD?

In theory i may try to lower same setting in BIOS to 1333MHz and run AIDA64 test again.

What the RAM settings you use in bios setup menu? Post photo.

15 minutes ago, Klem said:

What the RAM settings you use in bios setup menu? Post photo.

1. Memory Frequency in Chipset Configuration [1067/1333/1600/1867/2133];

2. NMode in Chipset Configuration (1N/2N).

And here is results with 1333 MHz:

Memory_N1_i7_3820QM_1333MHz.png.bca15bd65a8be1a57a17bbe8876f635c.png

So, options partially working. If SPD is present - it working.

• Bios Modder
4 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

1. Memory Frequency in Chipset Configuration [1067/1333/1600/1867/2133];

2. NMode in Chipset Configuration (1N/2N).

Try to search in bios setup menu the setting  "DIMM profile", and set it from "Default DIMM profile" to "Custom profile". Then set Memory Frequency to 1866.

22 hours ago, Klem said:

Try to search in bios setup menu the setting  "DIMM profile", and set it from "Default DIMM profile" to "Custom profile". Then set Memory Frequency to 1866.

I didn't saw such setting. I have got Y500, it's probably was cut. The only thing i can enable for DIMMs is Thermal Sensor if module have got it.

And last test for testing CPU unsupported memory frequency (1066 MHz), but included in memory module SPD:

image.png.d572ebddc2437b0d7329dee80d8387f9.png

So, i need to find 1866MHz memory module to confirm that this BIOS setting checking memory SPD for succes boot.

Edited by rusTORK