Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

On 4/23/2017 at 7:22 AM, irjp said:

Him i'm using your bios mod for my lenovo y400, and there are some options in video config i cannot figure out.  With many hours of googling this stuff i have come no closer.  maybe you can help.   I use my laptop as a desktop, monitor, external periphs, etc.   i want to be able to use bios on my monitor (connect through Hdmi, and or VGA connection on laptop) do you know which settings i need to change in order to get the desired results?   i tried many things before and i bricked a mobo. this is my second.  dont want to make same mistake but i cant find anymore info about the settings.

thank you

Have you tried something like this? http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19508313  

Basically, mash bios button then try F1 or FN F1 to switch to external display.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for my x64 system, do i put the fpt or the fptw64 on the stick?

nvm got it.. worked fine. ofc it's the ftp.exe

edit: can i use the vbios for the ultrabay card since have the modded 2.04? he says the vbios is only for ppl with 2.02 bios?!

does the vbios for ultrabay only work for 2.02 bios? in the attechments there is only stock 2.02 and no modded one?! and the small 2.02 file seems to be corrupted since i cant open it with no archiver..

edit edit: nvm everything works fine. i had to flash it in windows. If anyone has Windows 10 and same problems here is how i did it:

Get Nvflash for windows.

Open PowerShell as Admin (Windows Button + X then klick powershell admin)

i moved my nvflashfolder here C:\nvflash

typed: chdir C:\nvflash

the rom to also in nvflash folder

typed: .\nvflash64 -iX -6 filename.rom

X stands for the gpu slot.. so my ultra bay is 1 and filename.rom is your romname

so for me it was .\nvflash64 -i1 -6 vbios.rom

after reboot everything worked fine.

thanks to all programmers who put their effort in it.

Edited by BigBuddha

I'm so glad I found this. 925MHz is as far as I can go with stock vbios but I want more. 

I'll get to it as soon as I get the permissions to download  files.

PS. Can anyone post their 3dmark result with 650m SLI and a stable overclock so I can see what to expect at the end?

Edited by StipeP

16 hours ago, StipeP said:

PS. Can anyone post their 3dmark result with 650m SLI and a stable overclock so I can see what to expect at the end?

Pretty old, but here's my 3DMark 11 and Fire Strike at 1150 MHz core @ 1.05V / 1125 MHz (4500 MHz) memory:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10864957

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6862952

5 hours ago, octiceps said:

Pretty old, but here's my 3DMark 11 and Fire Strike at 1150 MHz core @ 1.05V / 1125 MHz (4500 MHz) memory:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10864957

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6862952

Wow, that is 43% increase over stock result!! :frantics:
This is my best. 925/1100. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12203648

Wierdly, if I try to ramp up the memory to 1150 it gives an even lower score. 
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12203913
b7e.jpg

Processor, not touching that

1 hour ago, StipeP said:

Wow, that is 43% increase over stock result!! :frantics:
This is my best. 925/1100. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12203648

Wierdly, if I try to ramp up the memory to 1150 it gives an even lower score. 
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12203913
b7e.jpg

Processor, not touching that

Yeah it's a very noticeable performance improvement. The first-gen Kepler mobile GPUs overclocked like banshees because Nvidia had them clocked so low at stock. So much OC overhead. That's been my daily driver GPU overclock for the last 4 years.

Your Physics Score is really, really low for the i7-3630QM. It's dragging down your Combined Score too. Did you know the EC firmware in the Y500 throttles the CPU by disabling Turbo Boost when the GPU is loaded? Yup you lose 800 MHz (2.4 GHz vs. 3.2 GHz) whenever the GPU temperature exceeds 65C. You need to use ThrottleStop to prevent this CPU throttling.

If you've overclocked GPU memory too far, it'll lower your score instead of raising it. That's normal behavior for GDDR5 when it becomes unstable. So dial back that memory OC a bit until you've reached your highest score.

Edited by octiceps

2 minutes ago, octiceps said:

Your Physics Score is really, really low for the i7-3630QM. It's dragging down your Combined Score too. Did you know the EC firmware in the Y500 throttles the CPU by disabling Turbo Boost when the GPU is loaded? Yup you lose 800 MHz (2.4 GHz vs. 3.2 GHz) whenever the GPU temperature exceeds 65C. You need to use ThrottleStop to prevent this CPU throttling.

If you've overclocked GPU memory too far, it'll lower your score instead of raising it. That's normal behavior for GDDR5 when it becomes unstable. So dial back that memory OC a bit until you've reached your highest score.

My CPU runs really hot by default. GTA5 gets it up to 95C, Aida64 up to 98C. All because GPU adds up to thermals. When it's solely CPU test, it hovers around 85C.
I repasted everything 4 months ago and it didn't really help much (1 or 2C difference). So I'm a little bit reluctant to unleash the full clocks. 

And like is said earlier, I'm not sure if I'm doing things right so this whole overclocking thing is a bit intimidating for me. What if I burn something, or mess up BIOS and it won't boot up anymore :ohmy:

Yeah those aren't good CPU temps if you did a proper re-paste with good quality thermal compound. Unless you live someplace extremely hot, it's probably a poorly fitting heatsink and/or a badly binned CPU with too high voltage or lots of leakage. 

You can't overclock in BIOS, and this is software-based GPU overclocking so it's not like you're permanently entering the values into the vBIOS and can't boot with unsafe settings. Worst thing that can happen if the OC is unstable is it crashes and resets your graphics driver, or thermal throttles.

I went with Arctic Cooling MX4, and repasted everything as instructed in numerous YT videos. I have no idea why is it still so hot. I haven't touched any setting when it comes to CPU, like changing voltage or whatever.
Maybe I should blow it out properly or try to refit everything again. 

Badly binned CPU means I got unlucky and received a shitty unit? Volts leakage?

I also want to upgrade the unlocked BIOSes so I can change the shit wifi module, and push the GPUs to 1150MHz, but it's a bit intimidating. 

Edited by StipeP

MX-4 isn't a good thermal paste for laptops as it pumps out easily with low pressure mounting heatsinks. For non-conductive pastes I'd recommend Gelid GC-Extreme, IC Diamond, or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead.

Also, have you tried IdeaFan yet?

Edited by octiceps
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't. Before finding this forum all I ever fiddled with my Y500 was nVinspector. I can see just now that there is so much to improve. 
I'll try Gelid paste, reinstall the whole windows, update vBIOS, keep processor in check with IdeaFan, overclock the refresh rate and god know what else will I find :)

Thanks for everything!

Hey all,

I had successfully flashed the modded Bios v2.04 on my Lenovo Y400 and had been running it without any issue for a while.

However, I made the cardinal error of changing something without reading into it much and now my laptop won't boot.

I changed the 'auto-select' option to integrated graphic under video configurations. The laptop powers on and then reboots. Is there any way to fix this? Appreciate any help. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, BigBuddha said:

Am I reading it right, you can't get into BIOS?

That is correct. When I press the power button or the recovery button on the side, it'll power on but nothing on the screen (not even the lenovo logo) and then resets itself. If I mash the FN+F1 or FN+B, the laptop stays powered on (I can tell from the fan and the keyboard backlight) but again the screen is blank. Can't tell if I can get into the BIOS.

• Bios Modder
4 hours ago, georob said:

That is correct. When I press the power button or the recovery button on the side, it'll power on but nothing on the screen (not even the lenovo logo) and then resets itself. If I mash the FN+F1 or FN+B, the laptop stays powered on (I can tell from the fan and the keyboard backlight) but again the screen is blank. Can't tell if I can get into the BIOS.

As first step you need to remove back cover, disconnect Power Adapter, disconnect Battery, and CMOS battery, unplug all RAM modules.
Then do Power Flee by pressing power button 20 secs or so.

Then connect AC, Power on, it will bootloop cos no ram installed.
- in one of the shutdown in-between bootloop , quickly connect CMOS battery connector back in its place. Let it reboot,
- it will shutdown again cos still no ram installed,
- after another shutdown ( still in-between bootloop ) quickly connect/insert 1 ram modules to its placed.
Then after next reboot it should back to life to enter Setup Mode. Then you could load Default Settings and restart or shutdown to connect battery and another ram modules, if you had 2 slots installed.

6 hours ago, BigBuddha said:

Am I reading it right, you can't get into BIOS?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the CMOS battery is soldered in between the connectors, however I did manage to pry off the negative terminal and then set it back on the battery. It did not help. I will try the suggested steps by you and report back. Thanks again.

• Bios Modder
8 minutes ago, georob said:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the CMOS battery is soldered in between the connectors, however I did manage to pry off the negative terminal and then set it back on the battery. It did not help. I will try the suggested steps by you and report back. Thanks again.

Try to do all steps, but skip disconnect the CMOS battery.