Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Four years since this thread was started, it's still perfectly useful. Thank you very much, @svl7. I've finally been able to install my Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 into my old Y500.

I ran into an issue creating a bootable DOS drive (the HP tool kept failing without any additional info; I was using a 16 GB USB 2.0 drive and Windows 10), but I did a quick Google search and found a tool called Rufus recommended by HowToGeek. I used Rufus to load the drive with FreeDOS, then transferred prr2.exe, fpt.exe, fparts.txt, and the modified BIOS image onto the root of my drive. I had no errors using any of the provided files other than the HP tool.

Thanks again for keeping those links updated and working.

This might be a stupid suggestion but i realized that the Win64 version download of the backup file does not include the Backup.bat file.

For those facing same issue with me, you can download it from

Fptw64 tool.

Just hope it help someone. cheers

11 hours ago, bcc1911 said:

the Win64 version download of the backup file does not include the Backup.bat file

I forgot to mention this! I did run into the same issue, but you do not need the .bat file to create a backup. Instead, you can create a backup of your BIOS by opening an admin-level command prompt window in the folder containing fptw64.exe and running the following command:

fptw64.exe -d BackupBios.bin -bios

4 hours ago, ben_pr said:

I forgot to mention this! I did run into the same issue, but you do not need the .bat file to create a backup. Instead, you can create a backup of your BIOS by opening an admin-level command prompt window in the folder containing fptw64.exe and running the following command:

fptw64.exe -d BackupBios.bin -bios

Hi, May i know how to run command prompt in specific path?

On 2/26/2017 at 9:05 PM, bcc1911 said:

Hi, May i know how to run command prompt in specific path?

To make things easy paste your 'fptw64' folder in C drive. The directory will now be c:\fptw64. Open command prompt as administrator (important).

Type

cd c:\fptw64\

and then

fptw64.exe -d biosbackup.bin -bios

It will start backing up and the newly generated biosbackup.bin found in the fptw64 folder will be your bios backup.

On 11/22/2016 at 1:57 PM, octiceps said:

1. No

2. Yes

3. Intel AC 7260, but be sure to use WLAN Optimizer (http://www.martin-majowski.de/) with both 'disable background scan' and 'enable streaming mode' checked to prevent ping spikes caused by Intel's POS drivers.

Hey octiceps

Maybe you can help me, or at least point me to someone who can:

I am still running into error 104, even with the fix in first post. I need to add these two to fparts:

W25Q32BV    ID:0xEF4016    Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
    MX25L1605A    ID:0xC22015    Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Anyone able to help?

EDIT: I have tried changing fparts.txt

EDIT #2: I did try and add those two to fparts.txt, but I still get the error. Also tried to change the 0x60 to 0xC7, but still no luck - still getting error 104. What gives?

Kind regards,

ShamblerDK

Might be a noobish question, but does anyone know if voltage control has been unlocked in this mod? I moved the voltage offset slider in nvidia inspector but the voltage didn't seem to change numbers in the left window (like when you change base and memory clocks).

On 3/2/2017 at 10:37 PM, jacobspeeds said:

Might be a noobish question, but does anyone know if voltage control has been unlocked in this mod? I moved the voltage offset slider in nvidia inspector but the voltage didn't seem to change numbers in the left window (like when you change base and memory clocks).

Voltage control is unlocked, but only for overvolting not undervolting (at least on my 650M), and any voltage changes will only be reflected under GPU load, not when idling. Another thing on my 650M is that the zero point on the voltage offset slider is wrong. The actual zero starts at +112.5 mV, so in my case, setting it to +162.5 mV equals +50 mV in reality (since 162.5 - 112.5 = 50):

pquBo78.png

22 hours ago, octiceps said:

Voltage control is unlocked, but only for overvolting not undervolting (at least on my 650M), and any voltage changes will only be reflected under GPU load, not when idling. Another thing on my 650M is that the zero point on the voltage offset slider is wrong. The actual zero starts at +112.5 mV, so in my case, setting it to +162.5 mV equals +50 mV in reality (since 162.5 - 112.5 = 50):

pquBo78.png

Thanks very much...although I realized that after playing around a bit...

I prefer Afterburner to Nvidia Inspector (mostly for the ease of switching profiles) but I cannot get Afterburner to allow voltage control, anyone know if there is a way use AB for voltage?  Tried all the different settings, but still doesnt unlock the slider.  

• Bios Modder
2 hours ago, IR1 said:

I prefer Afterburner to Nvidia Inspector (mostly for the ease of switching profiles) but I cannot get Afterburner to allow voltage control, anyone know if there is a way use AB for voltage?  Tried all the different settings, but still doesnt unlock the slider.  

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 5: Save the file and restart MSI Afterburner
Step 6: Go into MSI Afterburner settings and check the boxes under General > "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring" then click OK and restart Afterburner.
Final: GPU voltage control is unlocked and can be used now up to +100mV as well as monitoring GPU voltage in the OSD.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, IR1 said:

you can make clock shortcuts in nvidia inspector which makes switching even easier...just open the icon from your desktop. why go through all the trouble to unlock afterburner?

Hi. 

I just found this thread and I was wondering even tough it's 4 years old that does this still work and are those download links still working or not. I would be intrested unlocking bios my self to try overclock my y500, but the links don't open to me for some reason.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, Klem said:

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 6: Go into MSI Afterburner settings and check the boxes under General > "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring" then click OK and restart Afterburner.
Final: GPU voltage control is unlocked and can be used now up to +100mV as well as monitoring GPU voltage in the OSD.

Did that, found a cfg for each card, did it for both.  Voltage control and monitoring now unlocked, awesome!  Thank you!

On 3/14/2017 at 3:56 PM, jacobspeeds said:

you can make clock shortcuts in nvidia inspector which makes switching even easier...just open the icon from your desktop. why go through all the trouble to unlock afterburner?

Yes I was using the shortcuts but I found it applied the voltage and overclocks inconsistently, like one card would change and the other wouldnt.  Also I like Afterburner's monitoring a lot better and so I had both open... just seemed kludgy.  Thanks though.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, Klem said:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Well I spoke too soon... so this unlocked the voltage control, however changing the voltage and saving it did not actually change the voltage.  And yes I did put a load on the card (furmark) to test the load voltage.  It stays at 1v.  Tried 50mV ad 100mV etc etc.... no dice.  I know I can change the voltage because Nvidia Inspector lets me.  Any thoughts?

I ran the Fptw64.exe -d BiosBackup.bin -bios From the Admin CMD i got error "104"  i then applied the error "104 fix" ran fpt again with same params,  I got this. 

"Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version:  8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed. Please check connectivity and orientation of SPI flash device."

i'm using a Lenovo y400 Bios version 2.04 (from Lenovo)  

What am I doing wrong???

*first post btw*

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, irjp said:

Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed. Please check connectivity and orientation of SPI flash device."

i'm using a Lenovo y400 Bios version 2.04 (from Lenovo)  

What am I doing wrong???

The error that you are getting at FPT has to do with fparts.txt file, may be that basically it does not include your SPI chip's specifications.

Try to exchange your file fparts.txt with attached one. Don't forget extract it before use.

fparts.rar

I fixed it.  Bios is modded and flashed and running well.   Now I'm on to why my Ultrabay 650m isnt being recognized when it has been (it stopped before the bios update)  but thatnks for the info.   Yeah just copying the 104 fix over and keeping the files in the root folder worked well.  Thanks

Hey guys! 

I'd like to replace my WLAN module of my Lenovo Y500 with a newer one (Intel Wireless N 7260) and want to replace my BIOS with the modded one here from first page.

First problem is, my english is not the best but (luckily) good enough to understand, what is written in the tutorial on first page. That's what I hope. Besides that, nothing will work from first page. 

I tried to backup my BIOS with FPTDos and FPTw64 (I know I need five posts to download anything from here so I searched for it in the net) but none of them works. Or I don't know what to do with them. When I try to open the DOS backup.bat file I get an error because of 16 Bit incompatibility and when I open the Windows thing, I don't know what to do here. It opens a black window with a lot of commands and at the end, all I can do is, press any key to continue and then the window shut down.

Then I googled for an alternate prog to backup my BIOS and found a prog called "universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0" which created a backup of my BIOS in 10 seconds (it's called LENOVO-6BCN44WW v2.04.rom). 

But then I stuck at the point 

Open the downloaded tool and execute it. Drag and drop your BIOS backup file on it, it will create the mod for you. It will look like this: 

So I opened it but I can't drop my backup file into it. What am I doing wrong?