Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

On ‎25‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 0:33 PM, MI19 said:

Updated my Lenovo Y500 to the 2.04 mod. Installed a new WLAN Card AC7260.

Now i can't wake notebook from hibernate. Mouse move doesn't work. Pressing a key doesn't work.

Only by pressing the Power Button the notebook wakes up.

Is there somebody else with this problem?

Maybe the bios settings are wrong?

No matter what OS is installed. Fresh Windows 8.1 not working. Fresh Windows 10 not working.

So i Thing the problem is in the bios.

With old original 2.04 wake up from hibernate is working, but not from S5.

Any idea?

Nobody here with wake up problems?

Did wake up work with this bios version?

2 hours ago, jacobspeeds said:

You mean wake from sleep? Never heard of a way up wake from hibernate coz hibernate essentially shuts down the computer but with the exception of saving the whole Windows session to easily resume later.,

I mean suspend to disk (S4) (=Hibernate ).

Normally you can wake up the Notebook by moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. Also WOL schould work (magic packet). Nothing is working.

I only can wake it up by pressing the power button.

On ‎03‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 11:14 AM, Daryll said:

Just successfully flashed laptop. Gonna receive and install AC7260 tomorrow. Hopefully, everything will work out. Thanks svl7.

Could you please test if you can wake laptop from sleeping with mouse or keyboard when you have installed the AC7260?

Maybe also WOL?

Questions....:

I'm getting my RX 480 tomorrow and need to know if there is a setting I can use to get the laptop to use it only on the internal display. The BIOS options are IGFX, PEG, PCI, and SG. I figured IGFX would be the standard GT750m, and I have a sneaking suspicion that PEG is the ultrabay GPU's option. So would one of these work to get the laptop to use the RX 480 through the WiFI's slot via my eGPU setup?

Also, is there a way to hard reset the BIOS aside from removing the battery incase one of these fails?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. Got some questions.

So I have y500 laptop with gt750m sli.

I got to this post, in hopes of fixing my ultrabay gt750m fan to run 100%, which as far as I know, it does not.

Heard this solution fixes the issue.

But then, most of previous threads until post 75 usually talks about something else, like wifi card.

So wanted to ask,

1.if this bios flash will make the ultrabay gt750m fan to automatically run 100% when it is needed.

2. will this work with windows 10.

I currently set the second gpu to max at 85 Celsius degree with nvidia inspector.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MorrisVentus

On 7/10/2016 at 10:19 PM, Psyrecx said:

Questions....:

I'm getting my RX 480 tomorrow and need to know if there is a setting I can use to get the laptop to use it only on the internal display. The BIOS options are IGFX, PEG, PCI, and SG. I figured IGFX would be the standard GT750m, and I have a sneaking suspicion that PEG is the ultrabay GPU's option. So would one of these work to get the laptop to use the RX 480 through the WiFI's slot via my eGPU setup?

Also, is there a way to hard reset the BIOS aside from removing the battery incase one of these fails?

I am also curious about do this too. Hopefully all I need to do is download the files from this post and unlock my bios and use the EXP GDC adapter. Crossing my fingers.

18 hours ago, jakoob26 said:

I am also curious about do this too. Hopefully all I need to do is download the files from this post and unlock my bios and use the EXP GDC adapter. Crossing my fingers.

So far I haven't had to change any bios settings. I just had to disable the GT750m in Windows. Otherwise I haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to use the internal monitor without an external one. I think it would be possible with custom drivers, but the videocard disables if an external monitor is not enabled.

1 hour ago, Psyrecx said:

So far I haven't had to change any bios settings. I just had to disable the GT750m in Windows. Otherwise I haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to use the internal monitor without an external one. I think it would be possible with custom drivers, but the videocard disables if an external monitor is not enabled.

So I assume you got the EXP GDC adapter or something similar and plugged it into the mPCIE slot, inserted a GPU then connected a monitor and it worked? I was concerned that Lenovo set up a white-list to keep unapproved components from working with the laptop. Do you have a Lenovo Y500 because thats what I have. I'm also on 2.04 for the bios.

Edited by jakoob26

On 7/31/2016 at 10:04 PM, jakoob26 said:

So I assume you got the EXP GDC adapter or something similar and plugged it into the mPCIE slot, inserted a GPU then connected a monitor and it worked? I was concerned that Lenovo set up a white-list to keep unapproved components from working with the laptop. Do you have a Lenovo Y500 because thats what I have. I'm also on 2.04 for the bios.

Yes, I'm on a Y500. I do have the modded bios though, because unmodded one will stop you. I have the modded 2.04.

Edited by Psyrecx

Could this mod be used to possibly make a ram setup work that doesn't work under stock settings? I got 2 1866 corsair vengeanaces but they only work if I leave a stock 1600 ram inside along with one of the new ones. If I could change something in the bios to get the 2 1866s working together that would be swell.

I have 2 questions:

The First One:

I still remember that back to the days that Win8.1 came out with WDDM1.3, SLI just failed with newest Nvidia Driver at that time, cuz the new Nvidia Driver CANNOT modify the VBIOS on the 2nd Card to support WDDM1.3. And we can only Update VBIOS version to the one end with '3A' to solve this problem perfectly. But I just noticed that someone has successfully flashback the VBIOS on the 2nd Card to the version end with '33'. And he's not saying that there's any problem with SLI. So does it confirmed that SLI works perfectly with both 1st & 2nd Card flashed modified VBIOS version end with '33' on newest Win10, newest Nvidia Driver, UEFI???

I Also remembered that BEFORE the version '3A' came out, we have to use old driver to enable SLI on Win8.1, but it won't perform perfectly on some games such as DOTA2, but on others games it seems no problem at all. 

So is there anybody can confirm that double '33' version modified VBIOS performed perfectly on DOTA2, Win10 RS, newest Nvidia driver?????

I asked one of my friends who knows a Lenovo customer service guy, and he just told me that it's impossible to enable SLI without the '3A' version on any windows version after win8.1.

So, is there anyone have a modified '3A' version 4 the 2nd Card?????

The Second One:

I wanna know is there any chance to remove the whitelist on UltraBay interface just like the one on Mini PCI-E interface???

If there's any one can do it, PLZ pay attettion to the other topic named 'Y510p UltraBay graphics card'.

The author successfully connected an R9 NANO via UltraBay interface with full bandwidth on PCI-E 3.0 x8, and that's freaking AWESOME!!!

But it stuck on some problems too, the system won't start up with ANY Nvidia Card, ANY BIOS version. And it even won't start up with ANY AMD Card on 3.05 or higher BIOS version. Just like there's a whitelist banned the unauthorized devices on mini pci-e.

Since the motherboard soldered a hardware SLI Bridge on UltraBay interface, an unsuccessful trying to Start SLI between a mobile nvidia GPU and a desktop GPU may also the reason. Is there anybody has any idea to solve this problem?????

This solution with UltraBay is just what I'm looking for for many years, I just don't wanna see it failed after waiting 4 years and eventually someone has already made a half success on it.

I truly hope that it can be used on my Y500 and it can connect a Nvidia Card.

Anyone who can solve this problem, I would rather to buy a beer 4 him/her, cuz u guys may have saved a lot of money not only 4 me but also all the Y-series users.

With the x8 PCI-e bandwidth, i think that even connect a Nvidia Titan XP won't suffer from a serious loss of bandwidth, and i7-3630QM, i7-4700MQ etc. r still powefful enough for pc gaming. So that I suppose that Y-series can still fight in next 2-3 years before the CPU powerhouse  or MEM bandwidth gets outta date 4 PC gaming. And it just saved a lot of money which was supposed to be used to buy new desktop CPU, motherboard, memory, etc.

Edited by David 'SOAP' Washington

Hello! I'm from Ukraine, so sorry at once for my English...Help me please, I have such a problem here when changing the wireless module: "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in. Power off and remove it". I read Your post, all beautifully laid out. But there is one problem: I can't download the files.Could You send me everything I need to fix this problem by e-mail [email protected]? The laptop I have Lenovo Y500, BIOS v2.04. In advance thank You very much!

9 hours ago, Klem said:

Thank You for the tip. And a big thanks to svl7 for the effort. I succeeded to do and the time spent is not enough. I'm happy. And I wish You good luck and prosperity on the forum!

Edited by CrazySniperOK

• 2 weeks later...