Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I want to install a M2 ssd in my laptop: what about the recovery partition of the old hard drive? There is a way to create a recovery partition in the M2? Problems in bios flashing?

I deleted the recovery partition of OS when i bought the laptop.It had W8 while can install W8.1. So I just wrote pure W8.1 OS on usb flash drive and installed it from null on the laptop+drivers from lenovo site.

Since it's about year and works well.Atleast for me the recovery things are needless if so for you just leave it.If not try to search the iso of the recovery partition on the torrents then install that on your SSD.There's should be a manual how to do that.There's no problems with flashing bios if you replace original 16GB SSD with yours just do all the steps right.

Thank you for all your hard work that went into this. I can't wait to try it myself but I do have a question or two.

I understand flashing only the modified bios of the same version as that of the machine (ie 2,04 modded over 2,04 original only). But, what if I cannot even get the bios to update in the first place?

The bios on my machine refuses to update, period. She always gives the following error:

Flash process will terminated!

Current platform have secure boot feature, it must provide NV storage location by IHISI interface.

Please contact OEM BIOS engineer to add the feature.

Without this IHISI interface, the authenticate variables will be modified or cleared by flash process.

If you understand and still want to flash.

You can add the following setting to the platform.ini to ignore error.

[EngineeringErrorDisable]

SkipSecureBootProtectionCheck=1

Naturally, I did attempt to add those lines into that file (convenient thanks to svl7 :)) but she persists.

My bios appears to be 6BCN12WW(v0,13T10), as displayed by InsydeFlash (can grab a photo if need be).

v0,13T10?? In any case, I'm afraid to touch anything without any of your insights, even the 650M bioses, because this is unit was already replaced once due to a faulty mainboard (and Lenovo made me pay for it despite it being a common problem with their machines). Not sure how related it is, but since getting this new mainboard I have lost the ability for keyboard backlight and Novo button (off the top of my head).

Thank you for all your hard work that went into this. I can't wait to try it myself but I do have a question or two.

I understand flashing only the modified bios of the same version as that of the machine (ie 2,04 modded over 2,04 original only). But, what if I cannot even get the bios to update in the first place?

Yes it is.I did update from 2.0.0 version to 2.0.4 just fine.If you can't install the bios with this method you shoulda search how to do it under bios not OS.In every laptop this method exists you need to hold some buttons, put USB drive and turn on your laptop then it will flash itself.

Yes it is.I did update from 2.0.0 version to 2.0.4 just fine.If you can't install the bios with this method you shoulda search how to do it under bios not OS.In every laptop this method exists you need to hold some buttons, put USB drive and turn on your laptop then it will flash itself.

Thanks, but that did not work. Perhaps I did something wrong? I followed this guide specifically, and was returned the same error code posted by another user at the bottom of the page (in the comments section): https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-to-flash-InsydeH2O-EFI-under-DOS-enviroment/ta-p/278406

I am certain that I am using the correct BIOS for this unit, as I've done this on this machine once before without any problems. I don't know why this time is this way.

Thanks, but that did not work. Perhaps I did something wrong? I followed this guide specifically, and was returned the same error code posted by another user at the bottom of the page (in the comments section): https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-to-flash-InsydeH2O-EFI-under-DOS-enviroment/ta-p/278406

I am certain that I am using the correct BIOS for this unit, as I've done this on this machine once before without any problems. I don't know why this time is this way.

Nope.I am talking about another method it's a critical bios recovery.

1.Make DOS usb drive(you did that already)

2.You need to rename 204.bin bios file to QIWY3.bin and put it in the directory of your usb drive

3.Put your USB drive on the left side of ports then take off your laptop battery and power supply

4.Press FN+R then put power supply in the laptop then press power button then wait when your usb drive turn on after you can release FN+R buttons and wait while laptop updates itself

P.S Sry for terrible english.Hope you'll understand me :)

• Thumbs Up 1

2.You need to rename 204.bin bios file to QIWY3.bin and put it in the directory of your usb drive

3.Put your USB drive on the left side of ports then take off your laptop battery and power supply

4.Press FN+R then put power supply in the laptop then press power button then wait when your usb drive turn on after you can release FN+R buttons and wait while laptop updates itself

I understand just fine :) and thanks, I've never heard of such a method.

Probably around the time you were posting this, I did succeed another way. I ended up taking the installer for V2,02/04 and swapping the bios file for the V1,05 that I obtained (changing the platform.ini file to reflect this) as well as added the EngineeringErrorDisable switch that it required. I can't remember, but I may have tweaked a couple other check/write values as well.

Anyway, that gave me a new error about EC, which I googled and found I had to change two of the EC check and write values.

She flashed after that to the modern V1,05 (had my standard bios logo back and secure boot, etc). V2,04 went without any problems after that, though the machine hung after completion instead of restarting. Anyway, all was fine. Definitely I will keep your method tucked away somewhere because it will save me days/weeks the next time I have an issue.

Also, thanks to svl7 and anyone else that helped. I was able to installed the modified versions without any problems (aside from one typo...my bad) and they're amazing.

One of my 650ms, I think the U-Bay one, appears to thermal throttle at 93/94 celsius (if I apply extra voltage; without any extra she tops at 88). This is annoying and somewhat concerning, especially since the other is always 10-14 celsius cooler...guess I'll need to do some more digging on that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my 650ms, I think the U-Bay one, appears to thermal throttle at 93/94 celsius (if I apply extra voltage; without any extra she tops at 88). This is annoying and somewhat concerning, especially since the other is always 10-14 celsius cooler...guess I'll need to do some more digging on that one.

I am lucky with ultra bay card of mine.It reaches 76c underload in BF3 with 290clocks, 2400 memory and stock voltage.I played about 1h.Did you repaste already your card?Also you can try this guide to make it more cooler http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4921-y500-y510p-spring-mod-spacer-guide.html

• Thumbs Up 1

I am lucky with ultra bay card of mine.It reaches 76c underload in BF3 with 290clocks, 2400 memory and stock voltage.I played about 1h.Did you repaste already your card?Also you can try this guide to make it more cooler http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4921-y500-y510p-spring-mod-spacer-guide.html

Well, it turns out it's a little bit more complicated than just what I previously stated. I created a thread on the story here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/8761-gt-650m-heat-throttle-question.html

I did repaste the card...man Lenovo used so much of that stuff I couldn't even get quite all of it off...and I had freshly done the main GPU as well as the CPU when I installed my new board.

I'm mostly irritated with the lack of being able to tell/control what a stable OC is because of all the interplay with cooling and such (see other thread). I'm used to my desktop, I suppose.

Thank you again for another really useful information! I'm definitely tempted to try it out when I have the time and the tools but I am worried about breaking something (especially given my previous problems...the fact I didn't brick the machine with the bios stuff is a horseshoe up my you-know-where, lol). I'll see if I can learn anything else in the meantime, until then, bookmarked =)

edit: these temperatures are from Unigine Valley and Heaven, and the most recent change in throttling because of using Prime95 in tandem with them (to stress everything as a game would). i'm not certain how any of this would go with an actual game, yet.

Dear LittleStar, are a Huge Star now!

I have to thank you big time for the advice. Never heard of such method before and I have been struggling with my old 1,3 BIOS for quite a while! Thanks to you I'm now running SLI on 2,04 BIOS with Win 8.1.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Sir Slv7.. how can i update my bios without battery.? im stock at bios v0.19 .. and i wanna update my bios unfortunately my battery is pretty busted... can you help me .. thanks in advance. more power.

You need use CD with Bios update, it should work with/o battery.

Hello, i have just registered on this forum only to download the links on the first post by Slv7. I have a big issue regarding Geforce 750m5 ultra bay detection on windows 8.1 pro 64 bits on my lenovo y500. On device mangar only shows up a the internal video adapter, the geforce 650m, i vr tried almost everything, i removed the card, inserted it again in the ultra bay without success , install all sort of drivers, but if the device does not appear on the device manager i think it is useless... first i have to be able to win 8.1 pro at least, detect it as an "unkown device" or "vga device" and then install the right driver.

Even, i updated the Bios to the 2.04v , again, without success.

So my last hope is that unlocked 2.04v Bios, do you think it would help to win 8.1 pro detect it ?? Could anyone give me the links via MP (i have to have at least 5 post for the links being unlocked).

Thanks

Hi,

i followed all instructions. In my case i downloaded the 2.04 Bios from the offizial lenovo website.

I made a backup with the FPTw64 and created the modified Bios.bin.

Booted from usb and tried to flash the mod bios. I still keep getting Error 28.

Searching for hours in this forum and other websites with the same Error Code but i did not find a solution.

Can anybody help me pls ?

Hello, i have just registered on this forum only to download the links on the first post by Slv7. I have a big issue regarding Geforce 750m5 ultra bay detection on windows 8.1 pro 64 bits on my lenovo y500. On device mangar only shows up a the internal video adapter, the geforce 650m, i vr tried almost everything, i removed the card, inserted it again in the ultra bay without success , install all sort of drivers, but if the device does not appear on the device manager i think it is useless... first i have to be able to win 8.1 pro at least, detect it as an "unkown device" or "vga device" and then install the right driver.

Even, i updated the Bios to the 2.04v , again, without success.

So my last hope is that unlocked 2.04v Bios, do you think it would help to win 8.1 pro detect it ?? Could anyone give me the links via MP (i have to have at least 5 post for the links being unlocked).

Thanks

What?Do you have internal 650m and ultrabay 750m?If it is you never use both of them.For sli configuration is strongly required two identical video cards.

What?Do you have internal 650m and ultrabay 750m?If it is you never use both of them.For sli configuration is strongly required two identical video cards.

Yes, i have an internal 650m and a ultrabay750m card. The issue is not SLI, the issue is not even recognize the ultrabay 750m on device manager.

Yes, i have an internal 650m and a ultrabay750m card. The issue is not SLI, the issue is not even recognize the ultrabay 750m on device manager.

Do you want to sell this card or something?Then I think it's need to be tested on y500 with 750m gt internal directly.About the unlocked bios it's absolutely the same as stock bios, just added possibilities for overclock+some of hidden bios options can be used.Anyway GL to you.

I deleted the recovery partition of OS when i bought the laptop.It had W8 while can install W8.1. So I just wrote pure W8.1 OS on usb flash drive and installed it from null on the laptop+drivers from lenovo site.

Since it's about year and works well.Atleast for me the recovery things are needless if so for you just leave it.If not try to search the iso of the recovery partition on the torrents then install that on your SSD.There's should be a manual how to do that.There's no problems with flashing bios if you replace original 16GB SSD with yours just do all the steps right.

i've been tryin to find the recovery for ages, seems like all the other 8.1 iso doesnt work on my laptop. do you still have the exact name of the file you downloaded? (or the torrent name?)