Dell Precision M6600 & M4600 specs leaked, here are the full details!

Guest Frontpage News

Guest Frontpage News

Dell keeps up with their tradition of*leaking uploading documents of yet unreleased models, and this time it’s the much anticipated Precision business laptops, those are the Precision M4600 and M6600.

The Precision line is considered the “Crème de la crème”**of business workstations, they*have the best build quality and ingredients Dell has [...]

More...

Michael I thought this was a nice read. Great article was shocked at the 4gb graphics card... these have the computing videocards so they appeal to buisness users and Video Production artists. The system compares in ram limits to the M17x R3 and the M18x both which also use the 2920XM...

I've read Nvidia's core counts don't compare 1 to 1 with ATI's on competetive models. If their bandwidth compares in the same manner, how do we really compare these or any ATI vs Nvidia?

Generally with ATI cards, 5xxx and 4xxx cards are 5:1 in performance, 6xxx cards are 4:1 in performance.

So, a geforce gtx 580 with 512 shaders is equivalent to a radeon 6980 2048sp. The 6970 could have easily ended up as 1920sp (plenty of die space and TDP available) and been a great competitor to the 580, and crushed the 480.

But it wasnt. This is because ATI needed the 6970 to perform less than the 480 in order to guarantee sales of the 6990. If the 6970 was faster than the 480 on release, no one would buy the 6990 (or at least only a small portion of people).

It sucks, its pathetic, its sneaky, and its infuriating, but AMD cut down the 6970 to make money.

/rant.

Yeah, so 4:1 Ati:nvidia

As for memory bandwidth - most cards have more than adequate memory bandwidth (and usually a looooot more than they need). There was a theory that the 5870 was bandwidth starved, hence the lower numbers than it should have had, but this was tested and it turned out it was the dispatch/scheduler in the GPU underperforming (fixed in the 6xxx series).

256bit memory bandwith is more than enough for both brands of cards. Especially with gddr5.

Historically, mem bandwidth has been a non-issue unless you are talking notebook cards (which are almost always bandwidth starved).

-Ash

• Founder

I don't know about you guys but if the precision would've been priced similar to the alienware i'd go for the precision.

RGBLED + awesome orange aluminum chassis makes me really want it, and i am sure those professional grade cards can handle games quite nicely as well.

BTW, food for thought - that IPS RGB-LED screen frm the M6600 might fit just fine in M17x-R3

Plus with the Precision, you get access with their Business support ? (> their consumer 'support') The weight is quite a bit less than M17x (R2) too. IPS RGB LED? Yes please. :) Funny... it turns out business owner have much better eyes and can distinguish between WLED and RGB LED.

• Founder
Plus with the Precision, you get access with their Business support ? (> their consumer 'support') The weight is quite a bit less than M17x (R2) too. IPS RGB LED? Yes please. :) Funny... it turns out business owner have much better eyes and can distinguish between WLED and RGB LED.

LOL! So true, i totally forgot about that gem of theirs! Precision owners eyes rule!

• 2 years later...