(G75VW) Is there a way to force a BIOS downgrade?

ikith

Hello folks,

First post here,

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this, I recently had to RMA my ASUS G75VW and got it back with BIOS version 222 (I sent it in with 207) well my Windows 8 install that I had on a different drive will no longer boot (I assume its because UEFI options are completely missing now), when I try to go in to EZ Flash and flash 207 or 210, I get "Build date is too old", is there any way to force it to flash or am I SOL and going to have to reinstall Windows 8?

I appreciate the help (Google and searching here I couldn't find anything)

Ikith

Yeah, either put a bios file onto your C:\ drive and power off the machine, then hold down Ctrl + Home with the system off and power it on still holding them down. Otherwise, you can find Asus Winflash and download/install that.. Then run Winflash /nodate in command prompt.

Last time I tried a winflash I got stuck in a failed to verify loop and had to time a forced shutdown so the bios was written but in the middle of verifying, is there any way to skip verification or to avoid a verification loop?

You don't want to skip verification... if it comes up with an error and you don't know it and reboot... then you got a problem.

The best way to flash a stock bios on the Asus machine is the built-in easyFlash stuff, you can access it from the bios.

You don't want to skip verification... if it comes up with an error and you don't know it and reboot... then you got a problem.

The best way to flash a stock bios on the Asus machine is the built-in easyFlash stuff, you can access it from the bios.

No I'm not saying its bad that it verifies I'm saying its bad that it gets stuck in a look like it does if it can't verify, it would be nice if it flashed it, failed verification tried again and at that point if it failed it would fall back to the bios that was originally written.

Also, svl7 that is part of the problem I'm having, the ezflash is saying the datecode is too old and not letting me flash, which is why I'm trying to get it to force flash an older BIOS.

So now it's imposible under embedded tool, and with winflash it's too risky? Understood properly?

Yes, it is impossible via the bios because it rejects the datecode saying it is too early, and winflash throws you in to a loop where it keeps trying to verify the bios but cannot so it reflashed then tries to verify which it can't so it reflashes and so on, that is about timing because if you don't catch it while its trying to verify, and catch it while its erasing you will screw yourself and HAVE to RMA.

I added the a modified version of v223 to the corresponding thread.

If anyone wants or needs to downgrade let me know to which version. However looking at the change log which Asus provides I'm inclined to say that the latest BIOS is the best choice (unless you have some serious issues which don't appear with an older version).

You could downgrade, in theory, to a checksum'd bios of you choice using ctrl+home (its ctrl+alt+home if ctrl+home doesnt work). Basically yes theres a hidden partition on your drive's EFI. You can mount this in, say, linux doing a mount -t fat32 /dev/sda1 /wherever (or similar). You'll find a G75VW.bin you can replace to whatever version you want in /EFI/ASUS just name it G75VW.bin. But word of caution, you can REALLY mess things up if you don't know what you're doing in the EFI partition.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a good option, at least as long as the recovery partition is still available on the drive.

On other Asus systems this method also works when the recovery partition is gone, but then you need to use an USB stick to provide the bios file (which needs to be named properly). I assume that would also work on the G75VW.

• 2 weeks later...
I added the a modified version of v223 to the corresponding thread.

If anyone wants or needs to downgrade let me know to which version. However looking at the change log which Asus provides I'm inclined to say that the latest BIOS is the best choice (unless you have some serious issues which don't appear with an older version).

I flashed your modified BIOS but I'm having issues and need to revert and RMA the laptop. I lost my backup that I had when I flashed to your modified BIOS because it killed the raid I had.

Nevermind I was able to downgrade to v223 no problem and that fixed my issue, just a note with your mod Ubuntu Live cd and Gparted live cd will not boot at all, it gets to grub but once you select your option the screen goes black.

If you followed the instructions and prepared the mod with your backup then everything should work fine.

I actually followed step by step but when I rebooted I went in to the BIOS changed it back to RAID from AHCI (Which it reset to), then when booting one of the drives had switched to non member disk and I couldn't rejoin it to the RAID so I had lost my data including my backup :<, it's all good now though I just flashed over the mod using winflash with -nodate.

• 3 weeks later...

I had no problems upgrading from 218 to 223 on my G75VW. I just did this tonight. Bought the G75VW (best buy version with 660m and win8) back in January.

The only thing that I noticed is that now I do not get any external video view until windows boots. This was not a problem with 218. Maybe I am missing something in the bios settings?

My Bios did switch from RAID to ACHI. I was sure switched it back to Raid, saved and rebooted, but apparently it did not (or I did not) switch. I made no changes in the windows recovery screen which popped up, went back into the bios and switched it to RAID and F10 - saved again. Next reboot my RAID booted without issue. I had made a backup via Acronis just in case, glad I didnt' need it.

Thanks

Rolf

• 2 months later...

sir svl7, is there any other method i have updated mine from 218 to 223 but after shutdown, i turned it up, it didnt go to windows, im stuck in the BIOS settings/info/config screen, under sata config i can see all hdd and odd, but under boot properties i cant seem to find any hdd. its like something disabled my hdd's. i tried to disabled lunch csm, disabled secure boot but still nothing happens.

please help

• 2 months later...

Hi,

How can I force ezflash to use a particular image?

I have an asus g75vw, it won't boot from any dos device and it won't boot into windows after I flashed it with the latest bios. I want to downgrade. Where should I put the bios file I want to use for the flashing and what should I call it? Alternatively, if you know of a way to boot this machine into DOS, pls give me a clue.

Thanx

David

• 4 years later...
On 2/3/2013 at 3:40 PM, Feud said:

Yeah, either put a bios file onto your C:\ drive and power off the machine, then hold down Ctrl + Home with the system off and power it on still holding them down. Otherwise, you can find Asus Winflash and download/install that.. Then run Winflash /nodate in command prompt.

this was posted nearly 5 years ago and yet saved my bacon pretty good. 3D wasn't working on a brand new board from china preloaded with 223 and neither was the keyboard backlight. Running winflash in no date mode was the only way to reflash the bios in my case. The only thing I'm dealing with now is that the built in mic doesn't work

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2013 at 11:23 AM, ikith said:

Hello folks,

First post here,

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this, I recently had to RMA my ASUS G75VW and got it back with BIOS version 222 (I sent it in with 207) well my Windows 8 install that I had on a different drive will no longer boot (I assume its because UEFI options are completely missing now), when I try to go in to EZ Flash and flash 207 or 210, I get "Build date is too old", is there any way to force it to flash or am I SOL and going to have to reinstall Windows 8?

I appreciate the help (Google and searching here I couldn't find anything)

Ikith

Hi Ikith

I hope you have fixed it by now and everything is working .

If not theirs is another way of doing a bios downgrade .

remove your battery and connect your power pack and enter your bios

pressing esc or f2 when your in the bios select EZ Flash and type      risky 

it will bypass battery and you will be able to downgrade firmware

good luck

Tommy

• 9 months later...