Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU overclocking possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Just reread the thread two times and there seem to be conflicting info... so... Throttlestop can overclock a little bit the 3630qm or not? ... from what I've tried, I can't go past 34x... so I need the modded bios for my Y500?

Thanks all for your help!

Just reread the thread two times and there seem to be conflicting info... so... Throttlestop can overclock a little bit the 3630qm or not? ... from what I've tried, I can't go past 34x... so I need the modded bios for my Y500?

Thanks all for your help!

It cannot overclock a 3630qm. The multipliers on your CPU cannot be raised past the 34/33/32/32 defaults. You can only overclock that CPU by modding your ME FW to allow BCLK overclocking, which will get you a 10% overclock at best, and that's assuming that the ME FW on a lenovo is even moddable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thx Khenglish, in effect you are totally right, now that I was able to flash modded bioses and tinker with.

And no, I wasn't able to find the BCLK setting to even tamper with.

Oh well, no worries, it's not like the 3630 is a slow cpu by all means, it's that urge to overclock everything... even the washing machine xDDD

• Thumbs Up 1

I am using ThrottleStop to peg the 3630qm at 3.2GHz when gaming. It doesn't seem like it's possible to OC it on the Lenovo Y500 without a BIOS mod. The problem I have right now is that the CPU is plenty fast, but I want to find a way to undervolt the CPU while maintaining the same clock speed. I could do this with my old C2D T9500, but not the newer Ivybridge 3630qm. If anyone knows how to undervolt it, please PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes u can overclock but you need a program. i aks in ROG and they say this to me " You can try Intel XTU. Since it's a 3630qm (going by what you have in your sig), it should be unlocked. "

the link to download is this Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) i am using this i put my CPU to 3543MHZ and maximum is 3400MHz (3.4GHZ) use that and then say someting. my config from that program Overclocking, overclocking, and much more! Like overclocking.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I read this thread today, because I want to overclock my QM 3630. In the Alienware BIOS, there's a whole page of overclocking options. Only problem I have is, that I never OCed a CPU, those 10-15 values which I could modify on my M17xR4 mostly say nothing to me, i. e. "GT overclocking" etc.

Maybe it's easier, to test how much is possible with the XTU-utility that got linked and then force those clocks and multipliers in the BIOS?

Any help appreciated.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...