Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU overclocking possible?

The M17x R4 and M18x R2 if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't available in the Clevo bios...Clevo has never been known for their overclocking features in the bios. You might try XTU, or maybe @Prema has something magic in his repository for your system.

If you have a P170EM you can overclock the BCLK with Intel XTU. A P150EM can also be overclocked if you flash on the P170EM bios. It won't get you much, but it's more than nothing.

The 3720qm and up can be overclocked by 4 multipliers in addition to BCLK overclocks. The xm series allow any multiplier as well as any power limit.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can overclock an I7-3610QM or 3630QM, provided you have a bios that enables that function. I currently do on my MSI GT70 that allows the changing of BCLK. While you can't change it much (roughly only 2 or 3 MHz), it's enough that if you really NEED that extra little bit, you can. I don't, because suffice it to say, I care more about my video card having a higher overclock than my CPU.

Hi all.

Just an update on this matter. I use a sager np9150, with a core i7 3630qm and throttlestop seems to be working for me. Although I've read in numerous threads that there is some issues using it, I haven't ran into any. Right now, I'm in the middle of running prime95 to stress test/see if throttlestop is actually doing what its supposed to. From what I can tell, it seems like throttlestop is definitely making my cpu work harder as I increase the multiplier. Has anyone else had luck with this software, or am I just fooling myself? What limits have you been able to push your cpu to?

More results to come

• Thumbs Up 1

Just an update. From what I'm reading and researched, I'm guessing that throttlestop on my machine is only allowing me to work WITHIN the limits placed on my cpu. To explain, I don't think I'm getting an overclock. However, I'm running prime95, no throttlestop used and the cpu is only pushing out a multiplier of 17 (as opposed to base 12) so if im not mistaken, the cpu is requesting more power when it needs to. I looked at notebookcheck, and indeed, this cpu is supposed to run like this, hunting up and down for power depending on what kind of load is being applied to it. Run throttlestop though, and set the multiplier yourself ( I set mine to turbo ), my cpu is now operating at a 30+ multiplier consistently while running prime95, instead of hunting up and down.

If anything else comes up, I'll make sure to post it here.

Cheers!

for the i7-3xxxQM series CPUs it can be a tad tricky. Anything below 3720QM, you are stuck to its specifics and cannot go any higher unless you increase the BCLK. The only issue there is the most you will see is maybe a 5% increase in performance that way.

Now once you get to a 3720QM and higher, you can, if the Bios permits, or if ThrottleStop is installed, you can push the CPU 400Mhz higher than it is set to run. My 3740QM runs at 3.5ghz on all 4 cores, 3.6ghz on 2 cores and 3.7ghz on a single core. With ThrottleStop, or TS, I am running at 3.9ghz on 4 cores, and so on. Once you hit the XM line of CPU, then you can push it as long and hard as you have the available juice and heat dissipation.

• 2 weeks later...
You can overclock an I7-3610QM or 3630QM, provided you have a bios that enables that function. I currently do on my MSI GT70 that allows the changing of BCLK. While you can't change it much (roughly only 2 or 3 MHz), it's enough that if you really NEED that extra little bit, you can. I don't, because suffice it to say, I care more about my video card having a higher overclock than my CPU.

can you link a bios to oc i7 3630qm in clevo p170em, thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
can you link a bios to oc i7 3630qm in clevo p170em, thanks :)

Honestly, I would not suggest it. While it might get you 2 or 3 MHz like darkhawk says, it is very possible you could brick your system. 2-3 Mhz is an absolutely tiny amount compared to the turbo of ~3 Ghz. Plus such a small improvement won't be noticeable, especially in gaming.

Like darkhawk said, while a CPU is important in gaming, the GPU is used up and bottlenecked much quicker. Unless you have a 680m or 7970m I wouldn't worry about the CPU (even then it would only be neck-to-neck).

Using throttlestop on my i7 3630qm made it heat up to 95 degrees while normally it will never go above 80 (in Prime95) for example. So be careful with the program and monitor the temperatures constantly. I am using ASUS G75VX.

Since the turbo is limited (3.4 GHz only 1 core active but less when more cores are loaded) is there a way for the bios to be modded so that all cores run at 3.4GHz simultaneously. Which option should I turn on/off in the "hidden" menus/options of the bios?

Got a question. Does the turbo boost overclock all the cores or just one core?

if you are on 3630qm then turbo boost can boost single core upto 3.4 ghz, dual core upto 3.3 ghz and 4 cores upto 3.2 ghz. so yes turbo boost overclocks all cores.

if you are on 3630qm then turbo boost can boost single core upto 3.4 ghz, dual core upto 3.3 ghz and 4 cores upto 3.2 ghz. so yes turbo boost overclocks all cores.

Oh I see, thanks! But I heard Turbo Boost only lasts for a while, and not throughout the duration required for an application that is CPU intensive, is that right?